Need input on hunting old home sites.

Gen. Breckinridge

Feb 26, 2007
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
White's MXT SunRay DX-1 Garrett ACE 250, Fisher VLF-555D Pro, Fisher VLF-552D
A couple months ago me and my bud hunted two old home sites. At the first site we found only clads and a musket ball so we figured it had been hunted well before we arrived and the musket ball had been discriminated out, so no old money. At the second site we found all kinds of old stuff including rouge containers, a compact, a match safe, brass devices,etc., but no old money. Now if all that old stuff was still in the ground why aren't we finding the old money??? ??? Our machines are working fine but still no old money. We did find some new clad coins which were along the concrete sidewalk in front of the old home lot (on Main St.). The ground was pretty good, I don't remember the reading but it isn't highly mineralized, and the soil had a fair amount of moisture in it.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Tin Nugget

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2007
Mesquite Texas
Detector(s) used
MXT F2
May have been cherry picked. There is a guy in our club, all he does is cherry pick silver coins and silver jewelry. Runs onto vacant old home lots, buzzes through it and moves on. He does have a pile of silver and leaves everything else.

oldplacesnofinds

May 8, 2007
Bucks County , PA
Detector(s) used
Whites Quantum II Whites Spectrum
Check out my name. It is the story of mydetecting life. I have hunted houses 200 years old where the family has always owned it. They said no one has ever detected it and I found no money. I think it has a lot to do with the soil. If I start finding coins in the 80s or 90s 3-5 inches down, I think I am in trouble. That means the soil is letting the coins drop fast and all the older coins are deep.

doozis

Jul 31, 2007
Virginia
I remember as a kid , I'm 55 now :-[ , we were pretty careful
with our money , we didn't have much so it was much more valuable
than it is to kids today , and if you go back to the turn of the century,
money was even more hard to come by. Also during the depression a nickel was a lot of money , so all in all, people just didn't throw it around or loose it like kids do today. Sometimes when we detect at
a 50 year old house we find tons of coins , mostly clad but still big numbers and when we get to a very old homesite there seems to be a lot less to find. The sad fact is , in some cases its just not in the ground. Thank goodness there are exceptions :)
just my thoughts

Doozis

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions