need new mexico hookup

td78

Jan 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Negro Ed

I live in Alamogordo and my family and I have begun to enjoy the hobby of looking for hidden "treasure" around this area. Keeps the kids active, outdoors and exploring the world around them. Tried to get to Negro Ed today but couldn't find a road that went close enough to hike. Might try to base out of Oliver Lee and dirtbike over unless someone knows a path? Jeep Wrangler so bumpy roads aren't an issue. Might try to come down from the mountains next time. Also did some hiking around Dog Canyon and Twin Buttes. Will glady share finds with anyone offering knowledge!

a32deuce

Feb 19, 2005
I also live in Alamogordo and have "tried" to explore Negro Ed Canyon from above and below. Too "rugged" and steep for these old legs. My interest was aroused by postings of "Blackfoot" who obviously has explored the canyon and posted interesting pictures and tales of the area. He also posted information about "lost treasure" in the Silver City/Pinos Altos areas. You might want to look at his posts, very interesting. Like you I have extensively explored this wonderful area we live in and time permitting alot of time hunting "artifacts', lost treasure tales and gold prospecting in Orogrande. I am a member of the New Mexico Gold Prospector's Club who have regular somewhat successful "outings" in Orogrande. Very good organization with great members who collectively have a wealth of information to impart. They are very friendly folks who have a great time and do not mind sharing information and gold recovered among the members. If you are not a member you might want to check out this fine organization. Happy Hunting to you.

OP
OP
G

Greg-in-MI

Apr 5, 2008
Last winter I took my brother with me around northern new mexico turned out to be a night mare. First of all he's not into Treasure hunting big mistake, second it was colder than where I came from in michigan. The year before I took my cousin to Colorado, same deal not in treasure hunting also hooked on perscription drugs. So Iam trying something different. I just checked amtrak I can get a ticket to Deming for $143 wow thats a deal. Thinking about getting one of those rust free vehicles and driving it back home. I know it's not wise to go out alone into the bush, any takers. I believe I have done enough research but it's always good to get hooked up with someone from the area.

Goose-0

Dec 25, 2006
Central Minnnesota
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & VX3
Greg-in-Mi, I'm Goose-in-Minn. (I'm not cold, I don't sit inside watching soap opras in the winter.) For 6 straight yrs, my brother & I dectected in the lower 2/3rds of N M for 2 weeks every spring. I have every conceivable map and ghost town books for N M immaginable. I haven't been back since 2009. I have original N M maps from 1930 on. I'm thinking of going back again this coming spring....sometime in April for another 2 weeks. Some of the maps I have show towns and roads that don't show on modern maps. Some yrs ago, we found 4 'non-existing' (they were gone) towns of the 12 I was looking for that I found on the old maps.

snakeyes

Jan 4, 2007
Northen New Mexico
Detector(s) used
don't laugh viper trident/ E.Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would like to help ya, but I live in the north, and detecting is a day to day afair, it rained last night then got upto 60 this after noon.

Goose-0

Dec 25, 2006
Central Minnnesota
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & VX3
Don't worry about it. When we started out, we wanted to stay away from large populations such as Santa Fe and Albuquerque.

Giddy Up

Tenderfoot
Jan 5, 2014
Detector(s) used
Panning at present
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Going now? It seems like spring would be much better timing for those parts. Be sure to watch out for the hunters.
Keep warm, safe, have a great time!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread