Need Some Help Identifying A Possible Meteorite (Or a Slag?)

alperozoner

Sep 12, 2022
Hello all,

I have found two metal looking objects (one small, one big) on a nature walk with my family. I have followed the steps on how to identify it, but I am still unsure about whether it is a meteorite or not. Here are its properties:

1. It does not seem to have a fusion crust, and its surface is mostly covered by rust, with occasional spots of of bright metal-looking spots.
2. It attracts a common fridge magnet.
3. We cut off a corner of the small object in the hopes of seeing the native iron mentioned in the guide, but it instead has inner pockets of air and it does not have the occasional silvery spots akin to native iron (refer to the last photo). So this makes me think that these objects are just slags.
4. It feels relatively heavy, definitely heavier than a similar sized regular rock, as if it is almost entirely metal.

Note: The bigger object also has a piece of a brighter material stuck on its one side, so this initially made me think this could be another rock fused to it after impact but this is just an uneducated guess on my part.

Thanks to everyone in advance for your answers!

Attachments

• small_rock.jpg
    small_rock.jpg
    902.9 KB · Views: 41
  • big_rock_side.jpg
    big_rock_side.jpg
    776.7 KB · Views: 38
  • big_rock_bottom.jpg
    big_rock_bottom.jpg
    734.3 KB · Views: 38
  • big_rock_top.jpg
    big_rock_top.jpg
    925.8 KB · Views: 32
  • big_rock_top2.jpg
    big_rock_top2.jpg
    813.2 KB · Views: 37
  • small_rock_cross-section.jpg
    small_rock_cross-section.jpg
    329.7 KB · Views: 41
Last edited by a moderator:

SCUFFLES

Apr 27, 2019
Quebec Canada
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all,

I have found two metal looking objects (one small, one big) on a nature walk with my family. I have followed the steps on how to identify it, but I am still unsure about whether it is a meteorite or not. Here are its properties:

1. It does not seem to have a fusion crust, and its surface is mostly covered by rust, with occasional spots of of bright metal-looking spots.
2. It attracts a common fridge magnet.
3. We cut off a corner of the small object in the hopes of seeing the native iron mentioned in the guide, but it instead has inner pockets of air and it does not have the occasional silvery spots akin to native iron (refer to the last photo). So this makes me think that these objects are just slags.
4. It feels relatively heavy, definitely heavier than a similar sized regular rock, as if it is almost entirely metal.

Note: The bigger object also has a piece of a brighter material stuck on its one side, so this initially made me think this could be another rock fused to it after impact but this is just an uneducated guess on my part.

Thanks to everyone in advance for your answers!
It’s slag. It’s way too porous to be a meteorite. Meteorites don’t have holes in them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread