snowdogg70

Jun 23, 2011
burlington ontario
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 bounty hunter 2200's garrett at pro 2 garrett pro pointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey all, got this in a jar of jewelry at first i didnt see any markings as there are none on the inside .but i was convinced it was silver just because the way it looked then i noticed tiny squares with symbols inside ..figured it was from Egypt ,did some research and all i can figure out is .800 silver (i think) but not sure what the other marks are? i did my best to take pics but the marks are very small ,any help would be appreciated thanks
DSCF6145.JPG

Attachments

• DSCF6148.JPG
    DSCF6148.JPG
    699.8 KB · Views: 57
  • DSCF6154.JPG
    DSCF6154.JPG
    721.4 KB · Views: 51
  • DSCF6141.JPG
    DSCF6141.JPG
    746.5 KB · Views: 70
  • DSCF6143.JPG
    DSCF6143.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 69

HistoryTeacher

Mar 9, 2017
North Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great pickup; I concur about the .800 silver--your fourth picture seems to show that mark. The squiggle above the inverted V is the city mark and it might be Cairo?
They really got carried away with their punch set--there seems to be at least one mark per panel and a couple of marks on at least one. Maybe they made these panels for multiple types of pieces and wanted to make sure each panel was marked?

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks silver to me and with the marks that should confirm it. I wonder if its a genuine deco era Egyptian revival piece? Looks somewhat to be a fair amount of silver.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
anyone know the year?
I don't know if that mark give a date factor, I'm guessing the early 1940s. Picked up by an American GI in North Africa to send home to his mother, sister or darling back home. Tunisia was a major center of silver jewelry and souvenirs during those times and appears there still is and you can by it through websites today.

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
anyone know the year?

Nice bracelet. It does appear to be "Cairo" assay office and is .800 fine silver. Note that the silver fineness is expressed as three Arabic digits (in thousandths) rather than two (in hundredths). Egypt changed to that three-digit format sometime after 1975 (or thereabouts), so this is a relatively modern piece, The other mark will be the date letter in Arabic, but I can't immediately put my hands on charts for that period.

wedoitall

Tenderfoot
Sep 29, 2022
Boogerhole, West Virginia
Detector(s) used
idx pro with bills mods......the idx pro waS my pops that he got for christmaS maNy moons ago and was never used. Will be upgrading to a more modern MD soon. any recommendations?
Primary Interest:
Other
wow,very nice piece. may sound crazy but I do run into decent deals on Egyptian silver/gold on fleabay. 0nce again, a very nice piece, would be proud to own this.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread