Need some help with these.

Jul 7, 2020
Vermont
Detector(s) used
An old radio shack, simplex
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, found these yesterday along with some other stuff and thought these looked interesting but I have no idea what these are (penny is for size). image.jpg
First thing is this large plastic thing. Even though it is plastic, I think it is quite old because of the odd fibery look to it. It has a hole in the bottom and a place where there is lots of wear around the base. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
The second thing is this thing. The base looks like the bottom of a light bulb but it has a glass top. The glass reads Royal Crystal. image.jpg image.jpg
The last thing is this odd thing. It is made of brass that mit get have some gold guilt on it and what might be mother of pearl on the end? On one end, it creates a little scoop. image.jpg

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice assortment. The second thing is a fuse.

Good work Don!

Upvote 0

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Royal Crystal fuse.
Some history: Royal Electric, Pawtucket, RI made all kinds of electrical items, from fuses to Christmas lights and everything in between.

The company was founded Joseph and Mayer Riesman in 1921.
In 1991, Royal was acquired by Triangle Wire and Cable, West Nyack, N.Y.
Don....

Upvote 0

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The first item is a parasol handle. It might be horn or pressed amber, but more likely a synthetic... Bakelite or something similar.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My esteemed colleague Red Coat wrote:
> And I suspect that last item is a snuff-snorting 'spoon'.

I see the resmblance... but actually, that object is what we used to call a Fountain Pen. For the younger people here who've never seen one:
It is missing the usually-goldplated pointed "nib" which you inserted into the spoon-shaped end and dipped into an inkwell. Some mid-20th-Century versions (like I used in Grammar School) had a disposal cartridge of ink inside the pen's body.

Upvote 0

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My esteemed colleague Red Coat wrote:
> And I suspect that last item is a snuff-snorting 'spoon'.

I see the resmblance... but actually, that object is what we used to call a Fountain Pen. For the younger people here who've never seen one:
It is missing the usually-goldplated pointed "nib" which you inserted into the spoon-shaped end and dipped into an inkwell. Some mid-20th-Century versions (like I used in Grammar School) had a disposal cartridge of ink inside the pen's body.

I'm old enough to remember quill pens, never mind fountain pens! I did consider it might be a dip-pen but it's awful small. Judging it from the cent alongside it, then it's a smidgeon over two and a half inches, so I'm a bit doubtful.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Vermont treasure hunter
Jul 7, 2020
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm old enough to remember quill pens, never mind fountain pens! I did consider it might be a dip-pen but it's awful small. Judging it from the cent alongside it, then it's a smidgeon over two and a half inches, so I'm a bit doubtful.
The white stuff on the end may have used to be longer but Broke off. That could explain why it is short.

Upvote 0

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank for the ID! Any idea for a date?

It it's Bakelite, that was in commercial production from about 1910 and more extensively so from the 1920s onwards, although there were rather more expensive similar materials a little before that. There were later materials too with a similar appearance, such as Lucite which first appeared in 1933. I would think it's probably 1920s or 1930s.

Upvote 0

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great job everyone on the IDs. I knew the fuse at least. I grew up in an old home that had fuses like that.

Upvote 0

Deftone

Jan 10, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I see a fuse like that I always think Of my Great Grandpa. Spending summers with him and when a fuse went out he would shove a penny in there.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Vermont treasure hunter
Jul 7, 2020
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you to everyone who helped with the IDs. I had preatty much no idea what they were!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread