Need some pointers!

CanadianTrout

May 21, 2007
Canada
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Haha I made a funny. :tongue3:

I am interested in attempting some creek walking but don't really know where/how to get started.

First some background on my location:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_River_(Ontario)

and

http://books.google.ca/books?id=35s...&resnum=7&ved=0CDwQ6AEwBg#v=onepage&q&f=false

I am hoping one of you experts can take a few minutes and offer this novice some tips.

-Things like likely places to search

-Collection spot where artifacts/points tend to gather

-What to look for exactly (are you just walking along and finding these things by eyesight?)

-Do you search the dry banks and/or wade into the shallows

-What tools or implements should I have on hand

-What sections of the river should I explore (probably best to explore river portions away from towns etc)

-Anything else you want to share

Thanks you very much for taking some time to educate a novice. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

SOHIO

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't know much about your region but I would say there is a lot of paleo sites your way. From what I have learned about hunting is that an artifact could show up in many places, if there are any farm fields up your way check them. As far as the waterways the banks are good places to look and there are some folks that hunt them in the water using sifters and or waking shallow clear water streams, also sandbars in the rivers and creeks are good places to find pcs that are in the middle of being uncovered and covered again. I've found and heard of people finding them on baseball fields, and other unlikely places. Basically wherever there is dirt showing and esp near streams and or hills just above streams...look there. check out the link.

http://www.nativewayonline.com/headpr~1.htm

SOHIO

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
Some people find them in their mailboxes too :dontknow:

OP
OP
CanadianTrout

CanadianTrout

May 21, 2007
Canada
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
SOHIO said:
Some people find them in their mailboxes too :dontknow:

HAha ya I suppose. I'd rather find then in situ, much more rewarding me thinks.

This is the area I live in. http://diggingontario.uwo.ca/Palaeo.html and http://www.ssc.uwo.ca/assoc/oas/points/paleo.html the list goes on and on. I'm confident I'm in a rich area.

Thanks SOHIO and all for your response. There's still a couple questions that no one touched on so I'm hoping some more people will offer their input. And I have the winter to research and read through the "Links" thread started by SOHIO.

Thanks again.

F

Flintfinder of Mo.

Your along way from Mo... I think the only tools you need for surface hunting is your eyes, and a good stick.... My stick is an important part of my hunting. Get one that comfortable for you, not to heavy, well balanced etc... I like a regular screw driver tip, (a big one) I just throw one into an outside fire and melt the handle off.... Drill a hole in your stick, Epoxy, and drive it in....

I like this because when hunting a creek, it makes for just flipping on piece of flint easy, with out stirring up the water. Works very well when field hunting also....

I like to hunt the smaller waterways that come off the bigger rivers.. They really seem to like those in my area, I think they were easier to travel, safer to cross, and fish, good hunting etc. Not to mention if you were to camp by one of our big rivers, and a flood were to occur, you could very well may have to move miles and miles to get away... So I like the big creeks and small rivers to hunt...

If you have a spot in your waterway were the banks are caving in down a pretty good stretch , I start there and work down stream. Look in all the gravel beds, and take your time.... This is were you will need your eyes, and it can get over whelming with all the rocks to look at... Even after all these years of hunting if I have not been in a creek in a while, it takes me a minute to get my eyes zoned back in... Points can be anywhere in the creeks....

Get a fanny PAC... I keep a snack and plenty of water on hand`,Man I really believe in taking a phone in a water Prof container... You never know..... You might wanna pack a gun if you have man predators in the area....

Just explore, and have fun with it... The more you go the more you will learn...

This is just how I do it.. JMO P.s here's a look at my custom stick..(Yeap its dirty and used) I wont hunt with out her John

Attachments

• stick 001.JPG
    stick 001.JPG
    57.6 KB · Views: 422
  • stick 004.JPG
    stick 004.JPG
    34.5 KB · Views: 427
  • stick 002.JPG
    stick 002.JPG
    44.4 KB · Views: 417
OP
OP
CanadianTrout

CanadianTrout

May 21, 2007
Canada
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Awesome ideas. Thanks a lot Flintfinder. This is Canada, dam near impossible to get a carry permit let alone the handgun itself. I do like your walking stick though, very handy for sure. I will get one/make one.

Get-the-point

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
PA. NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had broke a golf club head to create my hunting stick. The handle already has the cushioning materials and the staff is lightweight. Just break the head off of the club and done. The pointed end of the staff will crease and it makes for a perfect little hunting stick/flipper...........................As far as you territory goes, well i tell this to everyone who is new to hunting. The best advice I can give you is to the learn the lithics(stones) used. Learn the types as most were quarried and brought to the area to be knapped into points. Until you learn this you will end up grabbing all types of stones wondering if it is, or if it isn't. Once you have learned what lithics they used in your area you will start picking them out of the gravel banks along those rivers. Once you have learned this and start finding worked pieces then you are on your way................Good luck......I'll research your area and see if I can help you out a little more.....................................GTP :icon_thumleft:

Get-the-point

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
PA. NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
John.........nice little hunting stick you got there buddy..........I see you went and engraved it a little. I bet that stick has memories!!!!!

OP
OP
CanadianTrout

CanadianTrout

May 21, 2007
Canada
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Hey GTP, great info buddy, thanks for sharing with me! I also just happen to have several old clubs laying around.... I may have to decapitate one or two...

Good luck......I'll research your area and see if I can help you out a little more

If you have the time and its not much of a bother.... I'll take ya up on that offer. Thanks.

Don't know if these links about the Grand River are any good to ya or not:

Natural Environment http://www.grandriver.ca/index/document.cfm?Sec=74&Sub1=1&Sub2=0

Watershed history http://www.grandriver.ca/index/document.cfm?Sec=74&Sub1=2&Sub2=0 (first 2 paragraph here a interesting!!)

Libralabsoldier

Jan 7, 2007
Baker,LA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
My daughter is getting interested since she found an artifact on her school playground. We live in a part of Oklahoma that had a great concentration of Native American activity. I like to MD, and am always on the look out for Comanche metal points. I will take some of these suggestions and try to help her find some!

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When i first started hunting 4 years back? I used to walk the rain water run-offs from hills n such. I have found a few nice whole ones.
I still say plowed fields are the easiest though but, more chance of brokes, the smaller points do tend to slip through though untouched.. I get a headache looking on riversides, through all those shells.
Watch out for snakes in creeks..
Good luck.

OP
OP
CanadianTrout

CanadianTrout

May 21, 2007
Canada
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Thanks Molly. Outside of town I'm surrounded by farm fields everywhere. This may sound silly but how do you hunt there? Are you just walking along looking on the surfice?

all_atv

May 26, 2009
SE Iowa
Remember get permission to hunt wherever you go. Fields are probably the easiest places to find pieces, but thats just it "pieces", as molly said. Look in fields close to water, springs or streams. Where the land rises above the flood plain. In fields you'll be looking for flint flakes, the chips left over when they make arrowheads. Also pieces of fire burnt rock are good signs of a campsite.

In streams you'll see that the sizes of rocks will be pretty much sorted out, boulders, medium rocks, small stones, and sand, in general. This will help in your searching. I think streams with glacial or river rock are easier to search than the sharp edged stones. The arrowhead edges will stand out more in the round stones. In the beds look over all the rock bars, back and forth and from different angles, same with in the water where there are rocks if its not too deep and clear. Watch the banks for stuff sticking out.

Attachments

• 5-16 018.jpg
    5-16 018.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 230
  • 5-16 003.jpg
    5-16 003.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 232
  • hopewe.jpg
    hopewe.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 232
  • 5-16 015.jpg
    5-16 015.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 230
  • hopewe.jpg
    hopewe.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 230
  • 5-16 015.jpg
    5-16 015.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 234
  • 5-16 018.jpg
    5-16 018.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 225
  • 5-16 003.jpg
    5-16 003.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 220

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CanadianTrout said:
Thanks Molly. Outside of town I'm surrounded by farm fields everywhere. This may sound silly but how do you hunt there? Are you just walking along looking on the surfice?

Yes, its easy. the flint tends to show up better against the soil, especially when its been rainning & its wet. The flint shines in the sun, also when the sun is low. You'll possible find more brokes but the smaller ones do slip through the plow. its a good start, i would recomend that too all beginners if possible. The plow also throws points out on the edge of the fields too. found many along the sides. Also rain water run offs.
First check what materials are from tha region, that will help. Familarise yourself with it. I did that first & was able to spot it better.
I guess thats it really. Look near a natural water source, high ground.
In NC I found around 300 in fields , never any in creeks.
I now see where you are from, there is other guys from there that do ok. I do believe basalt is common there..

Good luck hope this helps & you find lots.

Molly.

OP
OP
CanadianTrout

CanadianTrout

May 21, 2007
Canada
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Wow. I'm impressed. Thanks for the tips Molly. I'm inspired and excited for spring (I'm currently buried under snow) My area is all farm fields and rich in streams and tributaries as well.

Get-the-Point said
I'll research your area and see if I can help you out a little more.....................................GTP

so while I blindly search the web I'm hoping he can point me to some sites to find what materials are in my region. I've been trying to find exactly what type of material is around and maybe where these deposits are/where located. Honestly, there is so much good reading that I get easily sidetracked.

Thanks everybody, off to do more research. Need to find the local materials here...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions