✅ SOLVED Neon tubes? Vaccuum tubes? or other?

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_0258.JPG IMG_0260.JPG

I got these at an auction. The guy was involved with neon tubes and vacuum tubes. Other glass viles have red wire in them. They are 6" long. Probably an obsolete item. Any ideas?

Al D

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2011
Gold canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
DJI Air 2S
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Those are vacuum tube leads, the dark band area is probably platinum or palladium coated, it is where the seal to the glass is formed, these are parts as seen before the tube is manufactured and then sealed inside the evacuated glass envelope. Very cool find.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
pa plateau hiker

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, so I guess they are worthless since vacuum tubes aren't manufactored anymore.

Upvote 0

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
Ahem, in Russia. My son-in-law got interested in tubes after I gave him my 1960's RCA tube manual. He started doing repairs on vacuum tube stereos selling for thousands of dollars, owned by rich audiiophiles. I worked in a very high tech electronic factorys, retired in 1997. The Apache helicopter cockpit display unit we a traditional vacuum tube type CRT, and new guys coming out of electronic school had no idea what they were doing.

Upvote 0

Al D

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2011
Gold canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
DJI Air 2S
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Thanks, so I guess they are worthless since vacuum tubes aren't manufactored anymore.
On the contrary, they are worth something to the right person.
getting the metal to glass bond to seal properly was a difficult task as the rate of contraction when cooling is so much different between glass and metal. What usually occurred was the glass would crack ruining the seal.
later on in tube development, uranium glass was used for the base, that worked, somewhat.
some people today attempt to make special tubes, “Morey” tubes, they would have a real need for those wires.

Upvote 0

whistler84

Jun 9, 2015
BEAN FIELD ,IL
Detector(s) used
Whites MX-7 / Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats pretty cool. Is there a part # anywhere? Could lead u to a particular type.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread