Never hunted out, gold edition..

Hunting_Dad

Mar 25, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
C1758B99-F898-4EB6-B41F-99FEC119F0A4.jpeg
Boredom got the best of me this afternoon so i ventured out to a heavily hunted colonial site close to home. It a a couple hundred acres of agricultural fields with “open” access. There are some high-ish tones (couple KG2s and a 1723 Woods Hibernia) but for the most part, its a musket ball and lead seal kind of spot (fine by me). My plan for the afternoon was to run with the sensitivity maxed out on my Nox and deal with the chatter in hopes of finding a deep target the others had missed. After digging a bunch of pull tabs and 20g shotshells (vdi 12-13) and several .22lr bullets (9-10), I hit a very clean, solid 11 on the nox..... i probably would have skipped it had the vdi been 10 or 12, but the 11 was an outlier..... so I dug it and boy I am glad it did!! A gold ring aint a bad way to end the year!!

Upvote 34

Jose The Goon

Apr 1, 2017
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000D, 6000Di, Eagle, & PI 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great New Year's Eve find ! Congrats ! I think I see a maker's mark with an anchor on the ring. What are those stones? Sapphires? Opals? It looks like there are 2 or 3 missing. You say it's a couple hundred acres so chances are that the ring was pushed around a lot by plows over the years, but, if you can remember where you dug
it out, there's a small chance that the stones are close to the spot where the ring was. They would be hard to see in the dirt, but maybe a little sifting of the general area with a small mesh screen might expose them. Could be worth a shot. CHEERS !!
HAPPY NEW YEAR !!!!

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 1999994 Boredom got the best of me this afternoon so i ventured out to a heavily hunted colonial site close to home. It a a couple hundred acres of agricultural fields with “open” access. There are some high-ish tones (couple KG2s and a 1723 Woods Hibernia) but for the most part, its a musket ball and lead seal kind of spot (fine by me). My plan for the afternoon was to run with the sensitivity maxed out on my Nox and deal with the chatter in hopes of finding a deep target the others had missed. After digging a bunch of pull tabs and 20g shotshells (vdi 12-13) and several .22lr bullets (9-10), I hit a very clean, solid 11 on the nox..... i probably would have skipped it had the vdi been 10 or 12, but the 11 was an outlier..... so I dug it and boy I am glad it did!! A gold ring aint a bad way to end the year!!
Awesome!!! Congrats!!!

OP
OP
H

Hunting_Dad

Mar 25, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Great New Year's Eve find ! Congrats ! I think I see a maker's mark with an anchor on the ring. What are those stones? Sapphires? Opals? It looks like there are 2 or 3 missing. You say it's a couple hundred acres so chances are that the ring was pushed around a lot by plows over the years, but, if you can remember where you dug
it out, there's a small chance that the stones are close to the spot where the ring was. They would be hard to see in the dirt, but maybe a little sifting of the general area with a small mesh screen might expose them. Could be worth a shot. CHEERS !!
HAPPY NEW YEAR !!!!
Great eye Jose!! The hallmark is a right leaning anchor with a “K”. After poking around the internet last night I was able to identify the mark as belonging to the Ripley and Howland Co circa 1890s. Im am not sure about the stones, they are a little more glassy and translucent than the opals i am familiar with. But from what i found online, Ripley and Howland company seems to have made a lot of 10k rings with “affordable” stones like opals so until i am corrected, thats what i will call them

Attachments

• 201597D9-A5D5-4712-BCA5-4A2FBFBCA652.png
    201597D9-A5D5-4712-BCA5-4A2FBFBCA652.png
    323.1 KB · Views: 27

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful ring! Congratulations! Hope you make some more great finds in 2022!

Jose The Goon

Apr 1, 2017
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000D, 6000Di, Eagle, & PI 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Whatever the stones are, the ring is a nice vintage piece of jewelry from a quality maker. Like you say, it looks like some sort of translucent or "opaque " stone that's more "affordable" than more fancy opals. This link has a nice R & H 10k ring with an "opaquish" stone with a bit more glitter. (You've probably seen this already)
Regardless, congrats a great find to bring in the new year !! CHEERS !!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread