OP
Treasure_Hunter

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats to you TH, it sounds like you've made a hell of a comeback!
Can I ask if your on any meds for the diabetes, and your age?
I'm 74 and on metformin for the diabetes.

I have raised my carb intake to about 75 grams of carbs a day now, Im down 39 lbs and I don't want to lose much more, losing weight was never my goal, just a side effect of cutting the carbs.

I still go to the gym 6-7 days a week, going on my 8th month now, 3+ miles on a treadmill, usually between 55 to 65 mins and 30-45 mins of weight training a day.

OP
OP
Treasure_Hunter

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Up date, still at it, just completed 4.1 miles on treadmill for a grand total of 26.5 miles this week. Still doing strength training and still on low carb diet, although I did boost my carbs to 75 grams a day, didn't want to lose more weight, the 40 pound loss is enough.

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
congratulations on your progress.

anyone who has attempted this can appreciate your effort and dedication needed to achieve the goal you gave attained.

again, congratulations

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm 74 and on metformin for the diabetes.

I have raised my carb intake to about 75 grams of carbs a day now, Im down 39 lbs and I don't want to lose much more, losing weight was never my goal, just a side effect of cutting the carbs.

I still go to the gym 6-7 days a week, going on my 8th month now, 3+ miles on a treadmill, usually between 55 to 65 mins and 30-45 mins of weight training a day.
There are certain medications that can help resolve the problem one is having.
Though long term use can lead to other issues.
Simple intake of a multivitamin can reduce many side effects actually.
Taking a high dose of vitamin D can actually start effecting other vitamin levels.
There are some things that you should keep an eye on when taking Metformin. 6-30% of people taking it showed decreased levels of B12.
This is pretty informative information about what they've seen.

OP
OP
Treasure_Hunter

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are certain medications that can help resolve the problem one is having.
Though long term use can lead to other issues.
Simple intake of a multivitamin can reduce many side effects actually.
Taking a high dose of vitamin D can actually start effecting other vitamin levels.
There are some things that you should keep an eye on when taking Metformin. 6-30% of people taking it showed decreased levels of B12.
This is pretty informative information about what they've seen.
I take a multiple vitamin, also additional, vitamin d3, vitamin c, and vitamin e every day.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
the object or at least it is for me is not give up. I can't walk very good at all, they want me to use a walker all of the time but I do my best to use a cane or a walking stick. In fact, the VA has me scheduled to see about a scooter. It is embarrassing when you do a face plant in the middle of walmart. I hit my exercise bike as I try to trim down and maybe walk a little bit better.

OP
OP
Treasure_Hunter

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Start of new week at the gym, I just finished 4 miles on the treadmill, I did 28 miles on the treadmill last week.

OP
OP
Treasure_Hunter

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
4 miles a day is now my mininum on treadmill, I did 4.6 miles yesterday and 4.2 today.

OP
OP
Treasure_Hunter

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still working out, going on my 14 month of 7 days a week at gym, 1.5 to 2 hrs a day. I did 27 days last month, 20 so far this month. I did up my carbs to stop the weight loss, I was doing 50-60 a day of carbs, now it is 90-100, which is really easy to reach. I had to cut the treadmill back to 2 miles a day, it was getting hard on my left knee that had surgery in past.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still working out, going on my 14 month of 7 days a week at gym, 1.5 to 2 hrs a day. I did 27 days last month, 20 so far this month. I did up my carbs to stop the weight loss, I was doing 50-60 a day of carbs, now it is 90-100, which is really easy to reach. I had to cut the treadmill back to 2 miles a day, it was getting hard on my left knee that had surgery in past.
GOOD JOB WISH i had your DRIVE !!!

Hbot37

Bronze Member
Jul 7, 2022
North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you doing any resistance training? Even if you're at a limited capacity, adding in some weight training can really help with a lot of physical issues like bone density, mobility, body composition, etc. You should give it a try, just start with body weight squats or something easy and work your way up from there. But great work either way, changing your lifestyle the way you have is truly a feat and takes a lot of dedication!

OP
OP
Treasure_Hunter

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you doing any resistance training? Even if you're at a limited capacity, adding in some weight training can really help with a lot of physical issues like bone density, mobility, body composition, etc. You should give it a try, just start with body weight squats or something easy and work your way up from there. But great work either way, changing your lifestyle the way you have is truly a feat and takes a lot of dedication!
Yes, weight training is part of my daily workout, different weight machines on different days, usually 5 stations.

I do bench presses, seated dips, arm curls, deltoid fly, pectoral fly, and leg lifts. Example on seated dips doing 165 lbs 15 reps per set 5 sets. I was doing 145 lbs, 25 reps per set, 4 sets a day. Just recently increased weight. Chest presses are 125 lbs 5 sets of 10.

I don't do free weights anymore except for the arm curls, the rest are all machines for the safety.

I usually workout 1.5-2 hours a day at gym, 45mins on treadmill and on strength training, of course it includes short break in-between sets.

Last edited:

robertk

Bronze Member
May 16, 2023
Missouri
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
White's Spectra v3i
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Whites Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just found this thread -- good on you, @Treasure_Hunter , for taking charge of your health! I'm of a similar mind -- let the doctor diagnose, but cure yourself when possible. It sounds like your approach is working great!

It's funny timing, as I was just thinking it was about time I get some blood tests to see where everything stands, and this thread reinforces my resolve. (I think I'm pretty healthy, but I know there are things that lurk undetected if you don't get checked now and then.).

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
My wife recently lost 25 lbs. in about 3-4 months by just changing what she ate and when she ate. In a nut shell.... ZERO added sugar in any foods AND actually take the time to eat breakfast, lunch and dinner. She never went hungry, she just stopped snacking, she never went on a "diet". A big plus was the sugar thing, which for her meant ZERO liquid calories. Oh, and for exercise she walked for a half hour every day... just walked.

OP
OP
Treasure_Hunter

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just found this thread -- good on you, @Treasure_Hunter , for taking charge of your health! I'm of a similar mind -- let the doctor diagnose, but cure yourself when possible. It sounds like your approach is working great!

It's funny timing, as I was just thinking it was about time I get some blood tests to see where everything stands, and this thread reinforces my resolve. (I think I'm pretty healthy, but I know there are things that lurk undetected if you don't get checked now and then.).
I have my blood work done quarterly by clinic, I personally check my blood pressure daily and test my blood sugar with finger pricks couple times a day, that way I know what I can and can't eat or if I can cheat. If blood sugar is low then I can cheat if I want if high I stay on low carb diet.

If you want to see how sugar affects your blood sugar test blood before you eat something and again after.

I was amazed how high my blood sugar shot up after eating 2 donuts with my coffee one morning, I very rarely eat donuts, my sugar tested 115 before eating the donuts and 288 after. Perfect is below 100, but as long as I maintain in low 120s I am happy.

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In mid June my Dr told me my A1C had jumped from 6 to 7.1 since the previous blood work and that I was now diabetic. Dr told me I needed to cut my carbs and increase my excercise. I gave up sugar 10 years ago.

About 10 days later Dr Office called asking how I was doing on my carbs, I told them I had cut my carbs down to about 125 grams a day, they told me I needed to cut them further.

I have cut my carbs to less than 60 grams a day, most times less than 50 grams a day, basically on the keto diet.

I decided I didn't want doctors to start dissecting me because I was too lazy to do something about it.

I started going to my gym 6.5 days a week on average, 3 miles a day on treadmill and 30-45 mins weight training. July 26 days in gym, August 30 days, September 27 and so far this month been 15 days.

It has been 4 months now, my A1C has now dropped from 7.1 to 5.7, I have lost 30 pounds so far, dropped 4 pant sizes and in the best shape I have been in the last 30 years, not bad for an old fart. 😜
Congrats on the weight loss and improved health!
Diabetes can be a PIA... I have been insulin dependent since I was 11 years old.

OP
OP
Treasure_Hunter

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the weight loss and improved health!
Diabetes can be a PIA... I have been insulin dependent since I was 11 years old.
Sorry to hear you are type 1.. I'm type 2 and it is a pain to give up or restrict what you have enjoyed eating all your life.

I gave up sugar over 15 years ago, but I continued to enjoy my favorite carbs till a year ago.

OP
OP
Treasure_Hunter

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today is the first day of my 17th month of a low carb diet and working out at gym 7 days a week, well close to 7 days anyway, I do occasionally miss a day for what ever reason, doctor appointment, car appointment, fishing, on average it is between 25-26 days a month the last year.

Last blood work was good, only red flag was a1c, it is 6 and 5.4 or less is good. It was 7.1 at start.

5.4 or less is good, 5.5 to 6.5 is pre-diabetic and over 6.5 is considered diabetic.

Still down over 40 lbs from the start, I have put on muscle mass from the weight lifting or I would weigh even less.

Not bad for an old fart.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread