New 1820s farmhouse permission yields some good finds and returns

JoshW

Oct 1, 2018
Valley Forge, PA
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had a good outing at a new farmhouse permission that dates to 1819 this weekend. Found a nice flat button, lamp part, harmonica and a tiny lapel pin picture frame. There are still pieces of the picture in the frame. I also returned two pieces to the homeowner. The first was a piece of silver jewelry with a big B on it, which is the owner’s maiden name. I neglected to snap a photo of that one. They had never seen it before, but I imagine it was one of their relatives since the house has been in the family for generations. The second was a nice ring, that they lost in the front yard a long time ago.

Attachments

• A7FA3A43-A3E1-41E9-92ED-2CB5CFBEE074.jpeg
    A7FA3A43-A3E1-41E9-92ED-2CB5CFBEE074.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 152
  • F702480A-2CAC-4DCD-820E-414CAC011943.jpeg
    F702480A-2CAC-4DCD-820E-414CAC011943.jpeg
    971.8 KB · Views: 116
  • 72524DEA-9D67-4237-9296-14EBF8DD64DC.jpeg
    72524DEA-9D67-4237-9296-14EBF8DD64DC.jpeg
    1,012.1 KB · Views: 119
Upvote 13

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had a good outing at a new farmhouse permission that dates to 1819 this weekend. Found a nice flat button, lamp part, harmonica and a tiny lapel pin picture frame. There are still pieces of the picture in the frame. I also returned two pieces to the homeowner. The first was a piece of silver jewelry with a big B on it, which is the owner’s maiden name. I neglected to snap a photo of that one. They had never seen it before, but I imagine it was one of their relatives since the house has been in the family for generations. The second was a nice ring, that they lost in the front yard a long time ago.
Very Nice!!! Congrats!!!

Slice38

Tenderfoot
Dec 21, 2016
Tyrone, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good finds and a great gesture to the property owner.

This brings a question to mind for me as a newbie. If you seek and get permission to search property, is it typically expected that any significant finds will be given to the property owner? On one hand, I can understand the logic of that since it is indeed their property. But on the other hand, it would be dissapointing to me since I'm so excited to be searching for such finds. What is the expectation typically?

Big Mike

OP
OP
JoshW

JoshW

Oct 1, 2018
Valley Forge, PA
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good finds and a great gesture to the property owner.

This brings a question to mind for me as a newbie. If you seek and get permission to search property, is it typically expected that any significant finds will be given to the property owner? On one hand, I can understand the logic of that since it is indeed their property. But on the other hand, it would be dissapointing to me since I'm so excited to be searching for such finds. What is the expectation typically?

Big Mike
Mike,
It isn't necessarily the expectation, but that can vary with the homeowners. Most of the permissions I have received don't seem to expect anything in return. I always do offer to show them what I find. A lot of times, such as the situation above, the finds aren't worth much money, but they may mean something to the property owners. In those cases I would rather them keep it. They are usually appreciative and open to me coming back again. Best of luck with your hunts.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice work, congrats!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread