New 540 owner

Chuck M

Greenie
Dec 6, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently bought the Minelab Vanquish 540 pro pack and it does take time to learn the machine but now I absolutely love it. If you are in a trashy site put the 8" coil on. I have already found 5 silver coins in about 6 weeks. This machine goes deep. I usually run the sensitivity 1 notch down.

supertraq

May 8, 2014
Pcola fl
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz6a,,,Fisher cz-20,,,,Teknetics gamma 6000,,"Tek Eurotek pro ,,Fisher gold bug s.e 2.9er,,Tek T2 ltd se,,Tek T2+,,Minelab Vanquish 540 and 340 and a new Nokta Legend and Garret Infinium
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's like learning a new language it takes time but it will become the norm given time..I have been using nothing but fishers and teknetics for 28 yrs so the minelabs is like greek to me but i'm learning it and it is proving it's self day by day.Hunt a demoed 1932 house again today and found 7 wheaties and a merc with the 8" coil,,missed all that with the 12" coil.Went back with my goldbug se 29er and found a wheaty and a silver rosie later today.

OP
OP
Bruce R

Bruce R

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2016
Shamokin, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I recently bought the Minelab Vanquish 540 pro pack and it does take time to learn the machine but now I absolutely love it. If you are in a trashy site put the 8" coil on. I have already found 5 silver coins in about 6 weeks. This machine goes deep. I usually run the sensitivity 1 notch down.

How do you choose what to dig ? I get good high pitched hit in the 20-25 range and it turns out to be a zinc penny, it seems like there’s nothing worthwhile below 30 or so. I’ve read that nickels ring up at 9, but it sure seems like anything below 19 turns out to be junk. The other day I had a 20 hit so I switched it over to jewelry and it said it was a pull tab, I dug it up and sure enough, it was a pull tab. It seems like I have better luck with my old prism 2, I just don’t dig anything that rings up less than 25c.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How do you choose what to dig ? I get good high pitched hit in the 20-25 range and it turns out to be a zinc penny, it seems like there’s nothing worthwhile below 30 or so. I’ve read that nickels ring up at 9, but it sure seems like anything below 19 turns out to be junk. The other day I had a 20 hit so I switched it over to jewelry and it said it was a pull tab, I dug it up and sure enough, it was a pull tab. It seems like I have better luck with my old prism 2, I just don’t dig anything that rings up less than 25c.

You have just made a decent case to hunt by sound and use VDI for bare reference, if that.
Alot of folks probably waste more time trying to figure out what it might be than if they just dug it up and found out for sure.

OP
OP
Bruce R

Bruce R

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2016
Shamokin, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was out with the 540 yesterday and noticed something aggravating, I’m searching in coin mode and I get a nice high pitched hit reading between 27 and 35, thinking I’ve finally found something nice, I dig it out and it’s iron. This was happening, say, 8 out of 10 times. Is it supposed to do that ? I thought it only hit on iron if that horseshoe was lit up ? Another thing I discovered today, a battery charger was supplied with the detector, but all it amounts to is a battery holder and a USB cord, no actual charger. I used the one for my iPad overnight and this morning the lights were solid green, I put the batteries in the detector and they’re stone dead. Any body else having these issues ?

Tony-Ok

Jun 27, 2019
Oklahoma City Ok
Detector(s) used
XP ORX and Minelab 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Large iron will report as a good target. To check, use the horseshoe button. Coin size objects will be more accurately identified. Your pinpointed target should be small. Large iron is a problem for any detector. Most iron targets have a crackle or spitty sound coming off the target . Where as a coin will have a smooth audio. Trust the audio more than the ID. Hope that helps ..... HH Tony

supertraq

May 8, 2014
Pcola fl
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz6a,,,Fisher cz-20,,,,Teknetics gamma 6000,,"Tek Eurotek pro ,,Fisher gold bug s.e 2.9er,,Tek T2 ltd se,,Tek T2+,,Minelab Vanquish 540 and 340 and a new Nokta Legend and Garret Infinium
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If your use to first texas or other solid beep and dig you will have to learn the minelab language as it is more of a blended raspy sound,but once you take time to learn it you will wonder why you waited so long as i did..

supertraq

May 8, 2014
Pcola fl
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Another thing is the 540 do not have modulated audio so you
'have to" raise the coil to see if its a big target or close to the surface,but it will soon become second nature to you and very useful....

Rad1sh

Sep 22, 2019
Olympia, Washington
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex White Coinmaster ( Burghandy)
Garret Ace 250 Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also rotate 80 degrees on the target and see how it sounds and if the VDI stays consistent.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread