New and excited to learn

Greetings to all. Just found this forum while researching metal detectors. Bought a property in central VA recently with 50 wooded acres. Looks like there were some old Civil War battle fields in the area. I love old coins and war relics. Have dreamed of finding "hidden treasure" since childhood. Looking to buy my first metal detector soon. For now, just soaking up all the info I can find in the threads here, and hoping to connect with some experienced hunters for advice, tips, tricks, stories, and everything in between. Cheers to all!

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
Greetings to all. Just found this forum while researching metal detectors. Bought a property in central VA recently with 50 wooded acres. Looks like there were some old Civil War battle fields in the area. I love old coins and war relics. Have dreamed of finding "hidden treasure" since childhood. Looking to buy my first metal detector soon. For now, just soaking up all the info I can find in the threads here, and hoping to connect with some experienced hunters for advice, tips, tricks, stories, and everything in between. Cheers to all!
Welcome to the community.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome to T-Net!

Treasure can be tiny.

Practice. Both in learning your detector , and in recoveries.
The thing you dig up impatiently and damage will be the valuable one after a streak of junk. Don't worry , you'll ding something eventually even being careful.

Don't rub coins. Carry a pill bottle with paper towel or cotton balls for padding to put them in to carefully clean later. And study cleaning before cleaning. Sometimes a little can be too much.
Oh don't worry , you'll wreck a coin too eventually.

While learning how to make recoveries focus on blending where you did so when you are done so the disturbance doesn't show. Yes it takes patience and experience. But it's good P.R, in public areas.
And good to do when you are recovering relics so someone else can't tell at a glance where your homework discovered a site within a site.

Find comfortable gloves that protect your fingers. Use them when making recoveries. Or else you will get cut or poked or find dried dirt stuck to your fingers when you rub a sweaty eye.
Don't worry , you'll do something like that eventually.
You find a pair you like , get another pair or two.
I have a habit of dragging a finger to lightly mark a pinpointed area. That fingertip wears fast. Tried a golf tee (no I don't golf) but it just didn't get it for me after misplacing it enough times.

A generous pocket or pack pocket for trash and one for keepers. Pill bottle in keepers pocket. Check discards /trash later at home very carefully. Eventually there will be a surprise in your trash. And eventually or sooner (don't worry it'll happen) a keeper will have crawled out of it's pocket into your trash pocket by some mysterious method still unknown to detectorists.

A roofers type nail apron can be handy for such. Be aware the tops of the pockets are open!
If doing cartwheels or handstands you might lose something.
Don't worry , eventually you'll get home and be missing a recovery you had in hand earlier regardless of how securely you stashed it.

Your detector goes in your hand or securely in your vehicle after you step out of your home.
Not on the car roof. Not leaning against the many things it can be leaned against at home or on hunting sites. Worry. You won't like the feeling of where's my detector.

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
Welcome to T-Net!

Treasure can be tiny.

The thing you dig up impatiently and damage will be the valuable one after a streak of junk. Don't worry , you'll ding something eventually even being careful.

Don't rub coins. Carry a pill bottle with paper towel or cotton balls for padding to put them in to carefully clean later. And study cleaning before cleaning. Sometimes a little can be too much.

While learning how to make recoveries focus on blending where you did so when you are done so the disturbance doesn't show. Yes it takes patience and experience. But it's good P.R, in public areas.
And good to do when you are recovering relics so someone else can't tell at a glance where your homework discovered a site within a site.

Find comfortable gloves that protect your fingers. Use them when making recoveries. Or else you will get cut or poked or find dried dirt stuck to your fingers when you rub a sweaty eye.
I have a habit of dragging a finger to lightly mark a pinpointed area. That fingertip wears fast. Tried a golf tee (no I don't golf) but it just didn't get it for me after misplacing it enough times.

A generous pocket or pack pocket for trash and one for keepers. Pill bottle in keepers pocket. Check discards /trash later at home very carefully. Eventually there will be a surprise in your trash. And eventually or sooner (don't worry it'll happen) a keeper will have crawled out of it's pocket into your trash pocket by some mysterious method still unknown to detectorists.

A roofers type nail apron can be handy for such. Be aware the tops of the pockets are open!
Don't worry , eventually you'll get home and be missing a recovery you had in hand earlier regardless of how securely you stashed it.

Your detector goes in your hand or securely in your vehicle after you step out of your home.
Not on the car roof. Not leaning against the many things it can be leaned against at home or on hunting sites. Worry. You won't like the feeling of where's my detector.
Great advice. Also, remember YOU get to decide what is treasure. Some folks are all coins and rings. Some focus on a wider assortment: metal buttons, old silverware, keys, etc. There is no correct definition for treasure. Eye of the beholder…

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
50 acres will keep you busy for years to come.
Once off your own property always make sure you obtain the permissions if it isn't public property.
Learn how to dig a proper plug, before digging up the public places.
Welcome to the forum, and best of luck on your new hobby.
Congratulations on your new land.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...Bought a property in central VA recently...
tn_md.gif
Welcome Aboard! Take a look at Forum: Virginia for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your recently purchased property...

OP
OP
T

TarheelinVA

Welcome to T-Net!

Treasure can be tiny.

Thank you for all of the advice! I am adding items to my "to buy" list as we speak! Any recommendations or places where I can read up on on the optimal metal detector for my area and (total newbie) skill level? I've been pouring through threads and it seems like other folks in VA have a lot of success with the XP Deus 2. I'm open to feedback but I would like to invest in a quality one with some versatility, even if there will be a bit of a learning curve.

Again, thanks for taking the time to respond with some great tips!

OP
OP
T

TarheelinVA

Great advice. Also, remember YOU get to decide what is treasure. Some folks are all coins and rings. Some focus on a wider assortment: metal buttons, old silverware, keys, etc. There is no correct definition for treasure. Eye of the beholder…
Absolutely! I am just as interested in finding the neat and interesting as I am in the "valuable." To each his/her own, but I would prefer a display case of conversation starters to some extra cash. But hey, why not day dream about discovering both? Cheers!

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
Absolutely! I am just as interested in finding the neat and interesting as I am in the "valuable." To each his/her own, but I would prefer a display case of conversation starters to some extra cash. But hey, why not day dream about discovering both? Cheers!
Great attitude. In the 70s I found A LOT of pull tabs from cans and aluminum foil TV dinner trays. I didn’t get mad. At least my machine was working. It had no discrimination for such items. I always thought, “the next beep is going to be good.”

OP
OP
T

TarheelinVA

50 acres will keep you busy for years to come.
Once off your own property always make sure you obtain the permissions if it isn't public property.
Learn how to dig a proper plug, before digging up the public places.
Welcome to the forum, and best of luck on your new hobby.
Congratulations on your new land.
Thank you! And yes that is the plan. Keep it at home as I learn and gather experience. But I have a few nice neighbors will large lots adjacent to mine. Maybe in the years to come I can get their permission to explore. But for now I have more than enough of an area to fill as much free time as I can spare.

OP
OP
T

TarheelinVA

Great attitude. In the 70s I found A LOT of pull tabs from cans and aluminum foil TV dinner trays. I didn’t get mad. At least my machine was working. It had no discrimination for such items. I always thought, “the next beep is going to be good.”
I'm sure I will have a lot of the same. But my favorite phrase I have learned from this forum is "dig everything" and that's what I plan to do!

teleprospector

Silver Member
Jul 8, 2007
The Motor City
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Extended Sensory Perception, L-rod, Y-rod, pendulum, angle rods, wand.
White's MXT, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, AT Gold, SCUBA Detector Pro Headhunter, Tesoro Sidewinder, Stingray, 2 box-TF900, Fisher TW-6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome!
Jon from s/e Michigan 8-) :cat: :occasion14: :headbang:

ODELLRORRER

Mar 9, 2023
Salem, Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome! I'm a rookie too! I'm in the Roanoke area if you're looking for a hunting buddy! Cheers!

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to a VERY FINE FORUM !! If you would like for me to BRING some detecdtors down to you :) and show you what are there benefits :) let me know 1!1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread