New at beach hunting

Possum

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2017
Southeast Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 and Equinox 800, XP Deus, Shadow X5, Shadow X2, Fisher F44, Whites Coinmaster, and Tesoro Compadre'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good morning this is Darryl and I'm from southeast Louisiana, I'm going to Orange Beach, Florida in July and I'm taking my Equinox with me but I'm not sure how to read the beach, should I be searching the wet sand or dry sand, or should I be searching the surf, I really don't know what I'm doing because I mainly relic hunting or coin shooting, can you give me some pointers please, thank you so much for your time and I hope y'all have a blessed and wonderful day!!!

Upvote 3

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When you get to the beach note where the people are at, beaches have multiple zones, blanket zone, chair zone, water line, moms playing with infants in very shallow water, the waist-deep zone where couples play, throw frisbees, balls, etc and then the sand bar zone. More jewelry is lost in the water than on the beach, but keep in mind wet sand was also underwater at last high tide.

I start in the water waist-deep first to see what targets are found there, if nothing is found after hour 2 I then move to the next most popular zone. If there is a sudden rain shower search the blanket/towel line immediately as people grab their towel/blanket and run to the cars forgetting they had jewelry on their towels etc.

Good luck..

ROBOTCOP13

Jul 29, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At low tide if the beach is scalloped try the lowest part of the wet sand, think of this as a collection area. Is your nox still under warranty? Be careful it might flood out if you submerge the control box. Also if you detect in the water don't swing the detector too hard, the coil ears are thin and they tend to break on the nox.
I don't even own one but I hear the stories.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd start by looking at the local tide chart if you plan on wet sand or water hunting. I usually start about 2 hours before a good low tide and hunt till about 2 hours after to make best use of the low. At other hours and at an unknown or unfamiliar beach, I start with a zigzag pattern from in the surf to the blanket line, or even seawall. After a few dozen passes, you get a feel for where the most "treasures" are found. I then work parallel to the water and hunt just that zone with a more grid like pattern. I generally don't overlap my swings unless there are lots of good targets. I want to keep "virgin" sand under my coil at all times considering that there's usually no way to cover the whole beach in one hunt. I just would rather cover more unsearched ground than search sand I've already searched by overlapping. Like I mentioned, this is based on a huge beach with few targets. I hit a hot spot, and I'm going to grid it to death. It's a numbers game, the more ground you cover, the more targets recovered as a general rule. With your Equinox, I like to use Park 1 in the dry sand. Beach ! works good too, but, I seem to go deeper in Park for whatever reason. In the wet sand, sometimes you can still use Park or Beach !, but, if it's chatty and unstable, go to Beach 2, which will probably be the only mode that will work good in the water. If bottle caps are everywhere and sounding good, adjust the Iron Bias to F2 @ 6 to make them sound worse and help I.D. them. I use 50 tone and horseshoe on to get the best audio discrimination, but, that's a matter of personal choice. It gives me the most information about the target. I generally dig anything non-ferrous anyway, so, not a big deal, but, I like to get totally in tune with the machine to know what the target is before I dig it. Iffy tones (especially deep ones) get dug, even if they're a one way tone when X'ing the target. Unless the beach is a total junk pile, I run the Recovery speed at 3 in the dry. I run it at 6-8 around the fire rings and other trashy areas, and as low as I can in the surf without it falsing. The lower the number, the more depth you will get, but, you need to slow down your swing a bit. In the water, that isn't an issue, as you can't swing the coil fast enough the present a problem with missed targets.

OP
OP
Possum

Possum

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2017
Southeast Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 and Equinox 800, XP Deus, Shadow X5, Shadow X2, Fisher F44, Whites Coinmaster, and Tesoro Compadre'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good morning this is Darryl and I'm from southeast Louisiana, I'm going to Orange Beach, Florida in July and I'm taking my Equinox with me but I'm not sure how to read the beach, should I be searching the wet sand or dry sand, or should I be searching the surf, I really don't know what I'm doing because I mainly relic hunting or coin shooting, can you give me some pointers please, thank you so much for your time and I hope y'all have a blessed and wonderful day!!!
Thanks for the info... "D"

OP
OP
Possum

Possum

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2017
Southeast Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Th
I'd start by looking at the local tide chart if you plan on wet sand or water hunting. I usually start about 2 hours before a good low tide and hunt till about 2 hours after to make best use of the low. At other hours and at an unknown or unfamiliar beach, I start with a zigzag pattern from in the surf to the blanket line, or even seawall. After a few dozen passes, you get a feel for where the most "treasures" are found. I then work parallel to the water and hunt just that zone with a more grid like pattern. I generally don't overlap my swings unless there are lots of good targets. I want to keep "virgin" sand under my coil at all times considering that there's usually no way to cover the whole beach in one hunt. I just would rather cover more unsearched ground than search sand I've already searched by overlapping. Like I mentioned, this is based on a huge beach with few targets. I hit a hot spot, and I'm going to grid it to death. It's a numbers game, the more ground you cover, the more targets recovered as a general rule. With your Equinox, I like to use Park 1 in the dry sand. Beach ! works good too, but, I seem to go deeper in Park for whatever reason. In the wet sand, sometimes you can still use Park or Beach !, but, if it's chatty and unstable, go to Beach 2, which will probably be the only mode that will work good in the water. If bottle caps are everywhere and sounding good, adjust the Iron Bias to F2 @ 6 to make them sound worse and help I.D. them. I use 50 tone and horseshoe on to get the best audio discrimination, but, that's a matter of personal choice. It gives me the most information about the target. I generally dig anything non-ferrous anyway, so, not a big deal, but, I like to get totally in tune with the machine to know what the target is before I dig it. Iffy tones (especially deep ones) get dug, even if they're a one way tone when X'ing the target. Unless the beach is a total junk pile, I run the Recovery speed at 3 in the dry. I run it at 6-8 around the fire rings and other trashy areas, and as low as I can in the surf without it falsing. The lower the number, the more depth you will get, but, you need to slow down your swing a bit. In the water, that isn't an issue, as you can't swing the coil fast enough the present a problem with missed targets.
Thanks for the info... "D"

OP
OP
Possum

Possum

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2017
Southeast Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
At low tide if the beach is scalloped try the lowest part of the wet sand, think of this as a collection area. Is your nox still under warranty? Be careful it might flood out if you submerge the control box. Also if you detect in the water don't swing the detector too hard, the coil ears are thin and they tend to break on the nox.
I don't even own one but I hear the stories.
Thanks for info.... "D"

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
some pf these might help