New Book On Gold Detecting! A Must Have!

goldseeker4000

Mar 5, 2011
Kalispell, Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, Minelab X-terra 705, Gold Monster 1000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here is a new book on gold detecting. Alot of info not covered in other books like the Townes' Theory to put you on top of more nuggets IMG_20200223_130114118.jpg IMG_20200223_130137517.jpg

Upvote 0

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting. I wonder what "Mass Wasting" is?

Never heard of the Townes' Theory either.

Last edited:

ace4166

Dec 30, 2010
Auburn, WA
Detector(s) used
Mine Lab Eureka Gold, 2" and 4" dredges, Gold Hog raptor 2.0 flare high banker, Mini Piglet Flare, Garrett ATX, Gold Hog Multi Sluice, (2) Gold Bug 2 detectors, Mine Lab Monster 1000 detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
How do you purchase book? I am interested.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Mass wasting is landslides and earth slumps due to the effects of gravity. Most gold introduced into a waterway comes from above due to mass wasting. Very little gold is moved down steep hillsides due to rain or local erosion. Only when hillsides slide, slump and collapse does the gold move downhill.

He's on the right track but I haven't read the book yet so I can't give an opinion on his theory. Reese is an experienced successful nugget hunter so it will be interesting to see what he's written.

Heavy Pans

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Waiting for my copy now!:hello2:

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Interesting. I wonder what "Mass Wasting" is?

Never heard of the Townes' Theory either.

Author's last name is Townes so must be his own theory(?).

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mass wasting is landslides and earth slumps due to the effects of gravity. Most gold introduced into a waterway comes from above due to mass wasting. Very little gold is moved down steep hillsides due to rain or local erosion. Only when hillsides slide, slump and collapse does the gold move downhill.

He's on the right track but I haven't read the book yet so I can't give an opinion on his theory. Reese is an experienced successful nugget hunter so it will be interesting to see what he's written.

Heavy Pans

Makes sense. I had a respected nugget hunter explain a similar scenario regarding how gold was deposited.
Massive mud slide of a high channel deposit. He suggested moving up the hill to find the bigger gold.

Kind of made sense. I figure it might have been caused by soil liquefaction during a large earthquake.
Gotta remember the mountains were thrust upwards, a lot of soils had to have sloughed off.

Last edited:

alaskaseeker

Jun 22, 2019
Ak,Tn
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Lots of good free info at your local USGS.. I've even spoke with geologists that have investigated areas i was interested in...

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got my copy today and I'm looking forward to the read!:occasion14:

Attachments

• IMG_3404.jpg
    IMG_3404.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 66

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Good book! Lots of great info on detecting. Looking forward to re-reads, and locking in all the great info. Thanks Reese.
Jim

Jun 23, 2019
Kalispell, MT
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, Minelab X-terra 705, Minelab Goldmonster 1000, Minelab Profind 35
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mass wasting is the term given to Landslides, Debris flows, Avalanches, Translational slides, Rotational slides and a few other types of mass earth movements. They are a major contributor to placer gold distribution or deposition. The Townes Theory is an applied theory, to show you where the earliest stage of a creek or drainage is. This theory can help put you on top of new ground for detecting nuggets. It is useful for those working with traditional mining methods as well.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread