🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi Everyone,
An old friend of mine owns properties where the coastline is so steep and rocky
I never considered searching it before.
I came to realize that this would actually be an advantage to landing small craft
as opposed to the acres of mud that are exposed in most areas at low tide.
Some areas here are so full of nails large and small and tiny iron flakes that my detector wouldn't register a 4" brass screw visible on the surface ???
Cleared some footage with my trusty 250lb magnet and scored some goodies.

Maine State Militia Button. Exceptional condition for salt find of this age,
It came out of the rocks as shown. all that was needed was a freshwater soak.
Granted Statehood in 1820, these large flats were issued shortly thereafter.
View attachment 827678 View attachment 827679

A rather toasty USMC button of the same time frame, these early buttons are scarce because there just weren't many Marines, fewer than 1300 Officers and enlisted up til the CW era :headbang:
View attachment 827688 View attachment 827689

modern snap type Navy button, BM 'USF' United States Fastener?
View attachment 827684

Spanish War era cuff button, BM NS MEYER, I think the wire attached is to secure new buttons
to the card on which they came.... can anyone confirm?
NH FINDS 07-06-2013 029.jpg

Copper nail headstamped US, in font similar to the 1802 Pewter buttons, another first seen.
Anyone else recover one of these?
View attachment 827680

That's it for Military.

A 14K whatsit, thinking it is an eyeline pencil or similar, some lipsticks I've found have the slot where a pin would be used to push the product up.
Any ideas on this items purpose are welcome :icon_thumleft:
View attachment 827673 View attachment 827674

Numbered pendant with what looks like a young Queen Victoria.
NH FINDS 06-25-2013 075.jpg NH FINDS 06-25-2013 074.jpg

From the edges of yard came pieces of two 8 sided black glass bottles, note sharp lip on neck, similar to the onion I got earlier.
my reference date this style from around 1740.
NH FINDS 06-25-2013 057 037.2 002.jpg

Buckle parts & other bits, from yard.
NH FINDS 06-25-2013 057 025.jpg

Silver ring from yard, crudely made and unmarked, shows 'lamination error' inside as present on a trench art coin ring I recovered, though no other signs of being made from a coin.
Takes a long time for silver to get this deep black patina in local dirt, I think it's quite old.
View attachment 827685 View attachment 827686 View attachment 827687

Pewter/lead Brooch, maybe a mourning piece? shows two griffins holding an urn.
View attachment 827675

Here's a beauty, was setting on the surface where the yard is eroding down onto the beach,
unmarked Silver 32mm lionhead ring, napkin rings were introduced around 1600, and I think that's what this is. likely Victorian/modern. great detail on the face, mane and acanthus leaves.
View attachment 827677 View attachment 827676

Would think this silver item was a broken bracelet, ends show no signs of breakage though ???
NH FINDS 07-11-2013.jpg

Unmarked Silver cufflink half, the script I looks very much the style of the 1802 pewter US Infantry buttons.
(As with the copper nail.... strange)
View attachment 827690 View attachment 827691

What I believe is the worlds smallest silver coin, thought it to be an oil lamp thumbwheel, but it had the look of saltwater silver, turns out to be an 1896 Guatamalan 1/4 Real. 11mm and .6 G.
View attachment 827681 NH FINDS 07-05-2013 028.jpg
View attachment 827682 NH FINDS 07-05-2013 028 copy.jpg
View attachment 827683

Another world coin, I get more old foreigns than US.
Part and parcel of digging in a seaport/military area.
A 1695 Poltura of Holy Roman Emperor Leopold I, 'The Hogmouth'.
King of Austria, Hungary, and other countries under Papal Rule.
(above 'poltura' is an image of Madonna and Christ child)
This was a tough one to ID, before cleaning the denomination appeared as 'Fultura' and I was getting nowhere with that. Krause lists no 1695 issue, I know that 6's can often appear to be 5's and vice versa, but in this case the 6 shown on other examples could not morph into the 5 displaying on this one, the styles are completely different. :icon_scratch:
It was recovered at the hillside washout, and likely came down from the yard many years ago.
View attachment 827671 View attachment 827672

Not shown are the dozens of modern coins and a load of copper and brass scrap recovered
in the 10 hours or so I spent on the site.
It's now been cherrypicked and I'm on the hunt for my next area to dig.
Old man Wiley wasn't very interested in what was found, what made him happy was the bag of cod and haddock fillets I delivered after a successful fishing trip.

Thanks for looking and HH everyone :hello2:

Upvote 9
OP
OP
steelheadwill

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
Love to read your posts and most of all see you finds. So you think that , what l thought was a lions head ring, is a napkin ring? The detail is amazing for a small piece found on the beach. I love it! Don't see rocky beaches in the south like that. Do you make your finds laying on top, moving some rocks or do you have to dig deep in that crap?
Thanks stormsurge and NJLC,
I believe the lion/dog item is a napkin ring because of the size, ID of 31mm, too big for finger,too small for bracelet, any opinions on what else it might be are welcome. read that napkin rings were introduced around 1600.
Recoveries on these rocky shores can be on surface or quite deep.
the rocks are setting on substrate that varies from coarse gravel to sand.
after cherrypicking I'll move some rocks around,
many times I'll just move seaweed, and be surprised by a lobster staring back at me :tongue3:
Ring was found setting on surface at bottom of eroding hillside, on a pile of dirt washed out of yard.
I picked the item up, then set it back where it was and took a couple pix.
the item was behind the green grass at left center in first pic, the hill behind it is nearly vertical. note the broken bricks washing out.
HH all !!!
NH FINDS 06-25-2013 057 013.jpg
NH FINDS 06-25-2013 057 016.jpg
NH FINDS 06-25-2013 102.jpg
NH FINDS 06-25-2013 057 003.jpg

Last edited:

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent finds Will :icon_thumright: looks like the area is worth a few more hits, perhaps wait for a lower tide, Great pictures to :thumbsup:

SS

OP
OP
steelheadwill

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks Patriot and SS !
I'm used to having negative tides uncover large areas, here the difference is not so great,
There is one area where a lot of metal is present right down to waters edge,
and just 6 more inches would help, (I've heard this somewhere before:laughing9:)

The dropoff to deep water and fast current is right there.
The last couple months tides have been the years lowest, (early summer & winter, around the solstices)
Laurie thinks I'm crazy getting up at 2AM
to dig, I think it's great, get in a nice dig, then still have the 'normal' day to work.
Anyone bothered by mosquitos? well there are 'sand fleas' here that are far more irritating, mosquitos drink their fill and leave, don't really bother me, these things come in swarms and just keep biting with more irritation than any mosquitos I've encountered
I just drop the detector, and give a head to toe scratch cause they drive me absolutely crazy :tongue3:

I'll let you know if more goodies show up. HH Everyone :icon_thumleft:

Nutriasub

Nov 16, 2010
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 - Garret Pro Pointer
What a great day!!! I really love the silver coin, but my favourite is the napkin ring, its beautiful!
congratulations

OP
OP
steelheadwill

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks Nutria! Great to hear from you :) Best to you and your Family !!

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
quotes " surprised by a lobster staring back at me "
tongue3.gif

Herbie :dontknow: , your lucky to get a lobster on your beach , in SJ you have to head East toward the Baltimore canyons to get them . I like them grilled on the barbie smothered in artery clogging butter . need a few napkins , there yeah go solved the mystery why the napkin ring was on the beach :icon_scratch: yeah .. right ,

imo it is a great find , wish i dug it have a good summer dawg

OP
OP
steelheadwill

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
quotes " surprised by a lobster staring back at me "
tongue3.gif

Herbie :dontknow: , your lucky to get a lobster on your beach , in SJ you have to head East toward the Baltimore canyons to get them . I like them grilled on the barbie smothered in artery clogging butter . need a few napkins , there yeah go solved the mystery why the napkin ring was on the beach :icon_scratch: yeah .. right ,

imo it is a great find , wish i dug it have a good summer dawg

Hey Dawg, Good hearing from you :thumbsup:
There are thick piles of seaweed covering some areas, several times I've jumped back cause there's one hiding in there,
if one ever grabbed me I'd be compelled to boil him alive in revenge :laughing7:
Sweet fresh northern lobster is something everyone should get to enjoy, spiney lobsters do not compare.
Best wishes and HH to you! Herbie.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man, you are killing those coastal areas. Wish I had something like that to hunt down here. That is a serious time span of finds. Love the Maine, the Marines button is a VERY nice find. The small 1/4 real is a once in a lifetime dig, and so is the 1695 coin.

Great showing, my friend.

Cheers,

Buck

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Dawg, Good hearing from you :thumbsup:
There are thick piles of seaweed covering some areas, several times I've jumped back cause there's one hiding in there,
if one ever grabbed me I'd be compelled to boil him alive in revenge :laughing7:
Sweet fresh northern lobster is something everyone should get to enjoy, spiney lobsters do not compare.
Best wishes and HH to you! Herbie.
which one is hiding ??? spiny or Maine type lobsters or either specie , little off topic but I always thought the spiny was tropical or West coast :dontknow:

OP
OP
steelheadwill

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
Man, you are killing those coastal areas. Wish I had something like that to hunt down here. That is a serious time span of finds. Love the Maine, the Marines button is a VERY nice find. The small 1/4 real is a once in a lifetime dig, and so is the 1695 coin.

Great showing, my friend.
Cheers,

Buck
Thanks Buck! I absolutely love your PB Spanish, Talk about once in a lifetime :occasion14:
Gonna get on soon and comment more on everyones great finds :)
I'm into an area that is giving up the early US Militaries, just got two 1820s 25mm Navies, archaeic shield on side of eagle,
I can only find them listed at 15mm in Tice, I know someone uses an example of this button on their avatar, forget who:icon_scratch:
Best wishes to the Bandits and the Brigade! Your friend, Herbie :hello:

OP
OP
steelheadwill

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
which one is hiding ??? spiny or Maine type lobsters or either specie , little off topic but I always thought the spiny was tropical or West coast :dontknow:
Hey Dawg, We only have the Homus Americanus clawed lobster up here, I have eaten fresh spineys down south and they don't have the sweetness of the clawed ones.
This is a 6-7 pounder that swallowed a jumbo shrimp and #1 hook I had out for stripers in a 100 ft channel dredged out for oil tankers near the Salem Ma Powerstation, I could not imagine what was on the end of my line while bringing it up,
dead weight, then a strong pulsing fight.....
HH everyone!! Herbie.

Attachments

• FISH 004.jpg
    FISH 004.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 55

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Buck! I absolutely love your PB Spanish, Talk about once in a lifetime :occasion14:
Gonna get on soon and comment more on everyones great finds :)
I'm into an area that is giving up the early US Militaries, just got two 1820s 25mm Navies, archaeic shield on side of eagle,
I can only find them listed at 15mm in Tice, I know someone uses an example of this button on their avatar, forget who:icon_scratch:
Best wishes to the Bandits and the Brigade! Your friend, Herbie :hello:

Thanks so much my friend. I thought your first Mass coin was a find of a lifetime, but was Way wrong on that one. :) Let's hope another good find makes its way into my pouch. Until then, I am happy as a clam digging what we're digging. To hit colonial every time out is a blessing, after living in states where it was a rare hunt to find anything that old.

Cheers,

Buck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread