Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just read it. I was considering adding something else to my stable of machines, we all do that, but I read this is NOT an underwater machine.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not an underwater detector, coil water proof to 1 meter, controls ONLY water resistant. You drop it in salt water you have major issues.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like my other machines, if I don't use their underwater housings sold separately, and drop it in the water, mine are toast. I think this new one is meant to compete with Garrett's Ace 400 series. Treasure Hunter, does anyone make a coil that is not waterproof anymore? I was under the impression all were, except maybe some of the $129.95 kind. Just curious. This machine looks like it should do very well. Especially with a small control box. Less weight.

Pick_axe

May 3, 2015
Columbus NM
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Minelab Excalibur 1000,
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett AT Gold
Garrett GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hit the link sent to my email. It went to a minelab page "404 page not found." Not a good start. I did eventually get to a page that gave a brief, not-too-specific description. Its offered to us in the U.S. in various states of dress for pre-order .
Sorry, I'm not impressed.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with HighPlainsHunter, meant to compete with those models. Let the games begin. It will be interesting to see what the other manufacturers come up in the next few months.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just read it. I was considering adding something else to my stable of machines, we all do that, but I read this is NOT an underwater machine.

Right!
It would sell like hotcakes, if it was water-proof...!
It still has my eye.....

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Correct. I think it will one of their best sellers.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like my other machines, if I don't use their underwater housings sold separately, and drop it in the water, mine are toast. I think this new one is meant to compete with Garrett's Ace 400 series. Treasure Hunter, does anyone make a coil that is not waterproof anymore? I was under the impression all were, except maybe some of the $129.95 kind. Just curious. This machine looks like it should do very well. Especially with a small control box. Less weight.

There are still non waterproof coils sold, I know some are the coils for gold detectors. Since detector controls aren't waterproof you only need coil waterproof to 1 meter anyway.

Last edited:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 540 at $369 makes the Equinox 600 look like a CTX feature wise, lol. You will have to decide if the additional $280 for the 600 is worth it if you want to get in the water (and be able to drop it) plus ALL the missing features on the Vanquish 540 model compared to Equinox including: no recovery speed control, iron bias is ALWAYS on which can hurt with masked targets, locked into 5 tones with no tone break adjustments, notch is rudimentary and limted to a minimum of 2 TID (no single numbers can be notched), NO SINGLE FREQUENCY option, NO GROUND BALANCE (fixed - though Multi IQ does a pretty good job compensating for non-ideal GB, so that is what they are banking on), need a rain cover for the housing (what is this 2015? lol), and fun with AA rechargeables (whoopie).

I do like the stem design and wish it could be adapted to the Equinox plus the three coil options are also great (V8 DD 8X5, V10 DD 10x7, and V12 DD 12X9) and it would be a bonus if they were cross compatible with Equinox. Otherwise, great entry level detector but I think Simplex being waterproof and wireless might be a better bet even if it isn't multifrequency. If Nokta/Makro could make a waterproof and wireless $299 detector, not sure why ML failed to do that at least with the V440 at $279 and a waterproof V540 seemed like it should have been mandatory - they might have had a winner on their hands on the 440. The 340 is arguably even more basic than the GO FIND, it has Multi IQ but lacks basic functions like pinpoint and even the GO FIND has wireless connectivity. So I would probably go with GO FIND for super basic operation vs. the V340. 340 is almost LIKE why bother... Multi IQ is not worth it with all the other stuff (waterproof, pinpoint, ground balance, limited tones, single frequency) stripped away.

Overall, even after hearing the specs, I haven't changed my stance on this Vanquish line since I first caught wind of it...basically I can sum it up as, "Meh". I think ML just missed the boat features wise vs. Nokta/Makro though as far as the Garrett ACE series is concerend - well Garrett might be a little nervous and that really was who ML was going after.

Last edited:

GreenMeanie

Jun 3, 2006
TreasureTerrain.com
Detector(s) used
NOX 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish the companies would stop with the fancy Videos and sideshows and put that much effort into their metal detectors.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You got that right, Greenmeanie. And I wish all of them would stop with the pretend "look what I got" photos at set up in advance photo shoots.

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
vferrari -- I agree with you. I have a 6-year old nephew who is really into detecting at the moment, and I think the 340 would have been something I might have considered for him...$199, Multi-IQ? Yes, please...until...you read about what is missing from it. To me, one of the biggest pieces missing from the 340 is PINPOINT mode. It's one thing for one of us, with enough years of experience that we could function without a pinpoint mode much of the time. But for a beginner? Pinpoint seems like something that would have been SO simple, and inexpensive, to include, and yet...

Anyway, I can definitely see a niche for the 440, and especially the 540/540 Pro pack...even if it's an "Ace 400" but with Multi-IQ, I would expect the performance to trump anything the Ace has to offer as a single freq.

Personally, though, I'm waiting for the Multi-IQ replacement of the CTX 3030...THAT (an Equinox with 2-D Smartfind screen, and FE-CO VDI numbers) would be my "dream machine," right there...

Steve

Last edited:

PowerDubs

Oct 6, 2015
NWNJ
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Personally, though, I'm waiting for the Multi-IQ replacement of the CTX 3030...THAT (an Equinox with 2-D Smartfind screen, and FE-CO VDI numbers) would be my "dream machine," right there..

I concur. Put my name on the list after yours. I feel the ctx is a far superior detector if you know how to use it.

It just needs modern electronics (speed), less weight, built in easy recharge. Those things and cost are what sells the nox. Ctx gives sooo much more info.

secondstar

Mar 11, 2017
North Central Connecticut
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox, Garrett Ace Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree that the Vanquish line seems to be aimed squarely at Garrett’s ACE series. Garrett isn’t down for the count however as they have a substantial share of the industrial market.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Personally, though, I'm waiting for the Multi-IQ replacement of the CTX 3030...THAT (an Equinox with 2-D Smartfind screen, and FE-CO VDI numbers) would be my "dream machine," right there...

Steve

I have been saying the same thing. Count me in on that one. Would be great if it showed up right before my Equinox warranty expired. Lol.

Iffy Signals

Sep 17, 2018
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Current-Deus & Equinox 800. Past - CTX, F75, AT Pro/Max, F44, Patriot.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i think this Vanquish was a pride thing to try and kill the Ace series. Design and Red color seems to be a slap at Garrett. Nokta is being original and coming out with some cool stuff and build quality always seems top notch. Love my Nox but definitely feel the build quality lacking compared to my Deus.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread