NEW DISCOVERY CHANNEL SERIES ‘TREASURE QUEST: SNAKE ISLAND

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree with jeff of pa, blocks were pretty much standard equipment on the vessels and had multi-purposes. Could have even been part of the rigging ? The Pirates probably weren't familiar with the species of snake or their toxicity. As Jeff said, all that went ashore probably died. With the amount of snakes on the island now, and them not being seen until right on top of them would make me want to run, which sounds exactly like what the snake wants you to do, and remember, the snake population is now only a fraction of what it was estimated to be back then. Myself, without a snake gun being allowed, I might resort to some kind of flame thrower if I valued my life. Their 2 man Navy probably would never set foot on the island to check to see what you were carrying.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Absolutely no doubt on the rigging.
They couldn't put the sails up & down fast enough , if at all, without them.

That looks like a large Block right there.

Untitd.jpg

and tons of smaller ones all over

Untitd.jpg

Last edited:

comefindme

Aug 27, 2013
Minnesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a little to much drama for me. They won't find anything and we will all be disappointed in the end. The most they will get is whatever the network is paying them;)

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a little to much drama for me. They won't find anything and we will all be disappointed in the end. The most they will get is whatever the network is paying them;)

I'm not disappointed yet so, at this point I don't see me getting
disappointed , even after the last episode when they say the search will continue.
how many years did it take Mel Fisher?

this is at least a more believable treasure , then building a money Pit with booby traps
and throwing a Treasure in it. all in ones lifetime. :tongue3:

Last edited:

bearcat6

Greenie
Mar 15, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It seems like it would have been an awful hard place to tote a bunch of treasure into the brush. I'm afraid this is just another in a long line of nothing "reality" shows.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It seems like it would have been an awful hard place to tote a bunch of treasure into the brush. I'm afraid this is just another in a long line of nothing "reality" shows.

yes they would have had to be wearing 20 pairs of clothes,
or tin man outfits :laughing7: to complete the task.

I keep thinking if it was taken to the Island ,
more then likely the Treasure ended up near the Shore.
and found by the people building the Lighthouse.
or by snake wranglers.

Then again, What were these people made of who Built
the Lighthouse in the first place ?

Perhaps they built allot of Fires in a ring around the area
till it was built :dontknow:

I'd populate the Island with Mongooses

And what about the family who lived there till the snakes finally invaded & killed them :o

allot of unanswered questions for sure !

Last edited:

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see "IHop"
And want pancakes.
Subliminal?

Lol! maybe you have hit on the true gold in the show hidden advertising!
Pancakes do sound good, and they are golden, buttery....with sweet maple syrup....ahh!

Well Jeff, as long as they don't start doing really silly things, I'm watching. You never know when one of us may spot a dropped treasure or two, hastily dropped when the hiders ran for their lives from the snakes....I can dream!

Wouldn't the movie makers send out recon crew to the island in preparation for the movie being made, mapping out the trials and places for the film crew, like possible places the map says the treasure is in? Would they blindly send anyone onto the Island with out first checking it out?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol! maybe you have hit on the true gold in the show hidden advertising!
Pancakes do sound good, and they are golden, buttery....with sweet maple syrup....ahh!

Well Jeff, as long as they don't start doing really silly things, I'm watching. You never know when one of us may spot a dropped treasure or two, hastily dropped when the hiders ran for their lives from the snakes....I can dream!

Wouldn't the movie makers send out recon crew to the island in preparation for the movie being made, mapping out the trials and places for the film crew, like possible places the map says the treasure is in? Would they blindly send anyone onto the Island with out first checking it out?

Yea I'll guess there may be some Reenactment from
a safe place & stock footage of snakes going on too.
but hard to say :dontknow:

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
The show is beginning to have too much filler for me.

How many times are they going to show me the burning city animation map?

How many times are they going to repeat the same scenes? Either they consider me completely stupid and unable to remember what I saw 4 minutes ago, or the content is severely lacking.

Come on folks, move the story along. Quit showing me the same thing over and over.

Oh- and the stone map.

Is there really such a thing as stone maps?

Who actually spent time hiding a treasure, then pounded the hell out of a rock telling everyone where it was?

Unless you hid the rock, and then pounded the hell out of another rock telling you where the treasure map rock was.

Maybe this rock just tells you where the other rock is... or where to anchor, or where to get more rocks.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If not their insurance is thru the roof! There has to be some safe guard to this, you do not go traipsing thru that kind of growth with that many pit vipers and no oooopses.

Maybe the rock points to the "snake free" zone.

Also the weekly show would be 15 minutes long if they would stop re-showing everything, I could stay awake for that long!

Last edited:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If not their insurance is thru the roof! There has to be some safe guard to this, you do not go traipsing thru that kind of growth with that many pit vipers and no oooopses.

Maybe the rock points to the "snake free" zone.

Also the weekly show would be 15 minutes long if they would stop re-showing everything, I could stay awake for that long!

at the Very least the Cameraman would need a suit of Armor .
He can't watch where he steps Plus watch 360 Degrees around him,
Plus video everything that needs to be videoed

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
What you don't see is probably a nice ship with the camera crew and good meal preparation facilities plus a doctor and anti snake venom shots handy.

What gets me is the trail system that you see sometime. I wouldn't doubt that they clean out the area to be filmed each day ( for those snake free zones) and dub in the snake shots to make it interesting.

Still interesting, mainly because there is no jargon or excessive emotions involved. Let's just say it presents the image of something that could possibly happen.
Frank Horney toad and ant-AZ.jpg

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
With that many snakes coming out of the woodwork, I for one would not be convinced for a second that they cleared all the snakes. As said, for every one snake you see, there are probably ten you didn't see. There is no insurance policy large enough to get me on that island just to "explore" and the insurance company probably wouldn't even insure an individual if they were aware of where they were going. And as someone said, the paths are still to well worn. I would have expected a lot of it to have been overgrown with branches and brush.

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What happened to the X ? The first time they showed the map, there was a big beautiful X on it, now there is no X.

I'm waiting for the theory that the snakes were put there to guard the treasure.

If the treasure did belong to the village, I don't think it would be hidden at a place the village couldn't watch.

But as long as they show me some danger, and a bikini shot here and there, I'll keep watchin'.

heepiepow

Aug 27, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
With that many snakes coming out of the woodwork, I for one would not be convinced for a second that they cleared all the snakes. As said, for every one snake you see, there are probably ten you didn't see. There is no insurance policy large enough to get me on that island just to "explore" and the insurance company probably wouldn't even insure an individual if they were aware of where they were going. And as someone said, the paths are still to well worn. I would have expected a lot of it to have been overgrown with branches and brush.

I think one of Brazil's public entities does go onto the island enough for some reason I forget, to build trails, or even just walk the same path that a trail is had.

Don't know what to make of this show yet. That arrow rock did look planted, but then again the team did use best practice and leave it in situ. And there's at least one professional academic, the anthropologist/diver. But the various things the divers find seem pretty irrelevant as ships wrecked all over and I imagine travelling ships just tossed out malfunctioning machinery if they were broken, etc. But that one guy with the beard looks like he's made a living at doing this so there might be a purpose to the dives.

On this episode I cannot fathom how idiotic that snake expert was for diving face-first into a very violent surf. Then :gosh: getting tossed by it into sea urchin spines. Yes, some of the other grumbled about that but if I were a) someone on the team or even b) some cameraman or ethicist/lawyer along for the ride, I'd refuse to work with such an idiot anymore. Have never been in the military but chain-of-command on a dangerous expedition should count for something, and anyone just ignoring orders and instead jumping randomly into the ocean would/should be dismissed. If that means his snake expertise (and come on, there's only one snake species there, and he's already explained their habits such as being unusually arboreal to everyone, so not much more value) was crucial, then if no easy replacement the expedition should simply end. They would have trusted the wrong insane, reckless, egoistic snake expert.

I guess if they've done nothing else they at least pulled up some nice silver coins from that one dive, which they inexplicably moved away from. And assuming those were coins; haven't seen any after-cleaning shots of them.

My only hopes left now at sanity are the anthropologist/diver, the ship's captain, and the bearded guy. I'll just from now assume the others are milking it up and playing to the camera. And diving face-first into poisonous spines for no reason. Frankly I hope that guy dies and they go "well, figures, what a *******" and just keep walking up that trail. Okay, I guess I don't hope that because I don't want anyone to die etc. etc.

heepiepow

Aug 27, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hah! Reminds me of Ice-Road Truckers. They used that same scary animation of the ice breaking and the animated truck going under every episode. I'm sure it's happened for real and is a real danger but about after the 10th time I was "uh, yeah, I've watched several episodes of this, I know that already. Animated trucks are very vulnerable to ice".

If I were a producer on this show I'd contract a great animated movie of a snake biting someone, then repeat it every episode. And as you say, if it's that plus 20 minutes of "last time"-- maximum episode contract for least effort. The first couple episodes were pretty straightforward (well, except for the pirates that were about to board and murder everyone) so I had high hopes. Not sure just now. My sense is that there are some real successful treasure-hunting professionals who've actually discovered treasure in this crew, yet producers made a lot of them overact and hype things up.

Btw and kind of off-topic: The show "Unreal" is an amazing take on the production of reality shows, with intriguing characters of its own. I recommend it to any observer of a treasure or bachelor or any kind of "reality" series.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Perhaps the snake expert is the lead guy because he's expendable. If they aren't paying him much- he provides fodder for content and what the hell, if he gets bit it's no real loss and some great scenes.

I'd like to work on a couple of these shows. I'd be the guy that throws the BS flag at the producers/editors.

Somebody needs to try to convince these shows that we are all not stupid. Give us some great content and wonderful scenery.

There IS a good story here. It's just hiding behind the standard production theory's.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interested in an "interpretation" of rock ?

*EDIT * from elapsed time... I assume not.

Last edited:

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ARC1 those symbols are pretty standard. You can interpret them.

I don't know about you guys but if I was on the snake infested Island and encountering them I would be cussing like a sailor! Yet there isn't that much blanked out in the audio.
The real telling point is do you see the snake and one of the TH'ers in the same frame, I haven't unless the snake is in the far back ground. Like heepiepow said there are real treasure hunters that find treasure, they should get that on film. Heck guys I've seen more REAL TREASURE hunts from you guys out in the field with a go pro, no lie.

Maybe Hollywood should just pay you guys for your go pro shots and string them together, at lest it would be real treasure hunting! A lot of us have gotten into dangerous situations while MD'ing. I guess it's hard to fool the experts...us, when it comes to treasure hunting.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All these shows- Gold Rush , Oak Island , ( fill in the blank ) rely on goofy types like the "snake expert" , or Todd Hoffman ,
so that they can keep all of us engaged by screaming obscene epithets at the tv. (maybe throwing a beer can at it as well )
They also rely upon failure -( though Parker may well succeed having gotten free of that angry S.O.B. that owned the claim).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread