New Equinox owner

Rmeav8r

Nov 4, 2004
NW Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Makro Simplex+, Nokta Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all, I just added the Equinox 800 to my detecting stable. It’s charged and I’m ready to learn. I’ve owned White’s for 45 years and the DFX was my last...it was still running but the display was getting too hard for me to see. Anyway I purchased a Nokta Simplex last November to get back into the hobby and really love it....welcome to the 21st century! I still missed the multi-freq of the DFX so I purchased the Equinox 800. I’m looking forward to learning from the experiences resources of this fine group. I’ll jump in and let you know how it feels soon. Any advice you want to throw my way is appreciated.

Happy Hunting in 2021!

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Bayoutalker

Sep 30, 2012
Highlands, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all, I just added the Equinox 800 to my detecting stable. It’s charged and I’m ready to learn. I’ve owned White’s for 45 years and the DFX was my last...it was still running but the display was getting too hard for me to see. Anyway I purchased a Nokta Simplex last November to get back into the hobby and really love it....welcome to the 21st century! I still missed the multi-freq of the DFX so I purchased the Equinox 800. I’m looking forward to learning from the experiences resources of this fine group. I’ll jump in and let you know how it feels soon. Any advice you want to throw my way is appreciated.

Happy Hunting in 2021!
Make sure to check it for the latest updates!

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
Keep it simple. Play with it as it came out of the box, factory default settings. Don't over analyze just yet.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep it simple. Play with it as it came out of the box, factory default settings. Don't over analyze just yet.

Yep, agree, basically the foundation of my "So you just got an Equinox" post.

One thing I wanted to add, in addition to making sure you have the latest updates as mentioned above, make sure you also download the online user guide. One of the best written and detailed manufacturer provided guides I have seen.

OP
OP
Rmeav8r

Rmeav8r

Nov 4, 2004
NW Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Makro Simplex+, Nokta Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks to everyone for the input. I’ve downloaded the user manual and charged everything up,...so I’m m ready to start learning.

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, 8 x11" and Nel Storm coils
Garrett Propointer er, Pro Pointer AT
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Whites MX Sport With Detec
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
hints park 1 and 50 tones. Lay out targets on the ground and scan them for VDI and tone. After you get the hang of it try running all metal and just try to dig the signals you like. When you fist start out dig it all but pay attention to each VDI and tone.

Minelab Matt

Oct 19, 2014
S.Wales UK
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro
Deteknix Pi Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

100% agree. Keep it simple.

Ive owned mine almost 3 years and still use the factory settings.

The only thing I do personally, is in every single mode I keep iron bias on zero.

Apart from that, obviously adjust the sensitivity and recovery speed etc to suit what and where you are dettecting.

Example, my local park = VERY VERY trashy and I enjoy a bit of quick coin shooting there, so I stick it in park 1, recovery speed 6-7 and sensitivity 12-14.

If I'm on one of my 800 acre farm permissions, then I still use park 1, but recovery speed anywhere from 3-5. Iron bias zero and sensitivity as maximum as possible as long as machine won't chatter ;-)

After a while, you just get used to it and have a full on love affair with it...lol

Matt

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread