New Equinox update

jamest64

Jan 15, 2020
Near Ann Arbor Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 and White's TRX pp, Garrett 400, Pro Pinpointer II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since lower frequencies are better on silver I think the 4KHz will make silver cherry picking even better. Iffy signals just posted a video of 4KHz in an 8" deep quarter in his test garden and it looks like the new frequency is the cat's meow on silver.

Royn2751

Jan 14, 2017
NW NJ
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On Mac make sure to open the "Minelab Update Utility Equinox " I tried twice to install from the "Update Utility 3" and got the up to date message.

Donut

Jan 25, 2010
Coloma, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Xterra 70 6" 7.5khz concentric 9" 7.5Khz concentric, 5x10 18.75Khz DD, 10.5 18.75Khz DD.
I installed the 3.0 and straight to the park.I was using the 6ā€ coil.
It seamed my pin pointer was much better.
I also had some deep faint signals that the multi would not give an TID but when I switched to 4khz it locked on TID so seeing I couldnā€™t get the TDI to show in multi Iā€˜m wondering if the 4khz is working in multi.
Iā€™m wondering if others are having the same results.
So far Iā€™m happy with 3.0.
mine seamed to lock on better in multi and in 4khz it seamed to lock on silver solid.
Iā€™m actually impressed.
when you get a faint signal in multi one button push and bam it goes directly to the 4khz. Itā€™s nice it dose that.

Doug

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, 8 x11" and Nel Storm coils
Garrett Propointer er, Pro Pointer AT
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Whites MX Sport With Detec
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

jamest64

Jan 15, 2020
Near Ann Arbor Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Speaking of update...I called them.

Looking at the youtube test it looks like the 4khz is only added to single frequency and not the multi but I may be wring.
4khz seemed to be mich more stable and quieter than 5khz. and multi.
Minelab is terrible on explain to us on what they are doing when they put out an update. They are lacking in public relations.
We had this same confusion with the F2 update.
Doug
So, I called Minelab in Pennsylvania. They said, 4th frequency is stand alone. Designed for deep silver targets in Asia. Apparently as a result of different soil types. It should work well for silver. That's about it. It is not in the multi frequency settings.
JT

Iffy Signals

Sep 17, 2018
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Current-Deus & Equinox 800. Past - CTX, F75, AT Pro/Max, F44, Patriot.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Correct James it is a stand alone for now. Hopefully we will see something with it included in a future update.

jamest64

Jan 15, 2020
Near Ann Arbor Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OK, one more thing. I needed to do the 2.0 download first. Go into deep settings and change it to F2. Then to the 3.0 download for the 4mhz. Machine seemed to work better. less noise, slight better discrimination and I can't wait to try for some big silver objects in Asia....who's in?:occasion14:

Donut

Jan 25, 2010
Coloma, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Xterra 70 6" 7.5khz concentric 9" 7.5Khz concentric, 5x10 18.75Khz DD, 10.5 18.75Khz DD.
I think ? When it checked what upgrade you have it may ask to upgrade to 2.0 and then you could do that then upgrade to 3.0.
or it might just load both.

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So, I called Minelab in Pennsylvania. They said, 4th frequency is stand alone. Designed for deep silver targets in Asia. Apparently as a result of different soil types. It should work well for silver. That's about it. It is not in the multi frequency settings.
JT

How on earth does someone get Minelab to add a specialized feature like that?

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How on earth does someone get Minelab to add a specialized feature like that?

Good question, especially since they won't listen to the many US users who have requested an 8" coil since the machine came out. Maybe time to start bugging them again to make an 8" coil available.

Last edited:

jamest64

Jan 15, 2020
Near Ann Arbor Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think ? When it checked what upgrade you have it may ask to upgrade to 2.0 and then you could do that then upgrade to 3.0.
or it might just load both.

It wanted to load the 2.0. I went back later after talking to Minelab guys and they said go back and find the 3.0. So I did. Machine seems to run quieter all around. You do need to go into deep settings and change discrim to F2

jamest64

Jan 15, 2020
Near Ann Arbor Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry Iron Buzz, I tried to respond to someone else and it posted here. I will try to figure out what happened.

CoinHunterAZ

Feb 18, 2013
Flagstaff, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sidewinder Umax, Garrett ATPro, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One could probably get a pretty good deal on airline tickets to Asia right now...

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One could probably get a pretty good deal on airline tickets to Asia right now...

The problem is... what part of Asia? Its kind of a big place. Siberia, Saudi Arabia, Vietnam, Borneo... does it matter?

Bayoutalker

Sep 30, 2012
Highlands, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The problem is... what part of Asia? Its kind of a big place. Siberia, Saudi Arabia, Vietnam, Borneo... does it matter?
Maybe there's a FB group for metal detecting Asia. [emoji854]

jamest64

Jan 15, 2020
Near Ann Arbor Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OK, the update is 3.0 Type tthat in google and it will take you to the right page. Other people reported the machine running quieter all the way around. I noticed it too. It does work better with silver.

1942 merc

Sep 14, 2012
sd
Detector(s) used
xp deus , Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In the middle of the DL , stops dead . It turned the machine off and it will not fire back up . Download failed contact ML support . Reset / nothing . I can hook up the charger and the green light blinks like it is in a race . Emailed ML support seeing its sunday . First hickup with the machine for me but it was the update not the machine / performance issue .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions