New F5 and F70

Shenandoah Digger

Nov 22, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tried almost everything made since the late 60's
So they've come up with a scaled down F75 and an upscale F4. I'll give them credit for developing new models, but it looks as though they're just filling in the gaps between the F2 and the F75. What's new and cutting edge about that-just more detectors to choose from, and more price points.

R

robert roy

Thats great!
I hope this turns out to be better than the F75.
From what I gather from the reviews, the F4 was more user friendly.
Time will tell. Give this F70 a few months and see what the users have to say.
Many people thought the F2 was going to be an Ace killer but it didn't happen.
I'll be interested in seeing what the differences between the F70 and F75 will be.

Regards
Robert R

Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got the impression it was an improvement on the F75 with a better price. I guess will see.
Burdie

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Doesn't read like an improvement, really. More like a simpler unit. Fewer features (meaning less user control and responsibility) but the automation (or locked default tuning) may be attractive to some. Biggest difference I see is the F-5 & F-70 use concentric coils while the F-4 & F-75 are both Double D. Looks like there are no mode choices, but it's hard to read the print on the faceplate from the image. Have to check the manual (they're not on the Fisher website yet).

topknocker

Greenie
Mar 12, 2007
why is everybody knocking fisher for? i think it's great they are coming out with new models. nobody else is. you must be expecting some kind of miracle machine. that f5 has some very interesting features. i'm sure it's completely new circuitry. the f70 may be a scaled down f75 but, at least people with no money like me might be able to have nice detector close to the f75. if that f5 had a garrett name on it those garrett people would be screaming so loud you could hear them around the world about how great it is and how great garrett is. if those fisher engineers keep up the way there doing they are going to make some major breakthroughs in detector technology.

R

robert roy

>>>>>Doesn't read like an improvement, really. More like a simpler unit. <<<<<<

You might be right. The clue might be the way the named the machine: The F70.
If it had something NEW that the F75 didn't have I would have expected them to name it the F80

I don't have an F75 but from the reviews I have read, while it is a nice machine, its not always user friendly but that depends on whos useing it. It sems to have a dubious learning curve. Even LostTreasure Magazine field tests didn't give a particularly nice review of the F75. Perhaps the F70 will be the answer to past negative feed back?

I bet the F5 will be an enhanced version of the F4 but it's not going to be cheaper.

Robert R :)

R

robert roy

Re: New F5 and F70? Do I stand corrected?

How much WAS/IS the F75? I do believe the F70 IS cheaper.
Robert R

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
Willy said:
I think that the F70 is at a much better price point than the F75. I wouldn't be surprised if it sells a lot better. ...Willy.

There is no free lunch....

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: New F5 and F70? Do I stand corrected?

robert roy said:
How much WAS/IS the F75? I do believe the F70 IS cheaper.
Robert R

I paid $934.15 for mine last spring. It came with the weather covers, an F-Point pinpointer, a coil cover and a Rattler headphone that I negotiated for (aka: weaseled the dealer out of by whining and begging). Batteries included. They have upped the price effective 2/10/08 so the "street" price will be around $1,029 +/-, but it is better gasketed and the housing upgraded, different/sturdier hand grip and possibly a few other changes.

And you can send your existing units in and for $50 they will upgrade them, too.

OP
OP
hsjrev

hsjrev

Jul 27, 2007
W. TN
robert roy said:
Even LostTreasure Magazine field tests didn't give a particularly nice review of the F75. Perhaps the F70 will be the answer to past negative feed back?

Huh???? In their field test summary they said "The F-75 most assuredly sets a new standard in terms of performance, versatility and ease of use that will stand for some time." Sounds like they liked it to me. The only real negative in the review was that the manual could be more comprehensive.

http://www.losttreasure.com/fieldtests/ArchiveView.cfm?ID=LT20071011

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the link! That sure looks like a favorable review to me!

I agree the manual could be a lot better. Luckily there are a couple classroom sites that really help.

Hopefully Mr. Sabisch will come out with a F-75 book like the ones he's done for the Minelabs and Fisher CZ series.

The-Bone

Nov 13, 2007
North East,Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Whites Silver Eagle, BHID,M6,CZ21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Charlie P. (NY) said:
Doesn't read like an improvement, really. More like a simpler unit. Fewer features (meaning less user control and responsibility) but the automation (or locked default tuning) may be attractive to some. Biggest difference I see is the F-5 & F-70 use concentric coils while the F-4 & F-75 are both Double D. Looks like there are no mode choices, but it's hard to read the print on the faceplate from the image. Have to check the manual (they're not on the Fisher website yet).
don't be upset...the F2 STILL isn't on the site yet...maybe thet're embarassed by it

Willy

One thing about the LT field tests.. I don't know if they have a bad word to say about ANY detector. At worst, the report might weakly suggest something they'd like to see, or turn a negative into a positive; something along the lines of " after ten minutes the detector shut itself off, which is handy because it gives the detectorist a break and time for a snack". ..Willy.

The-Bone

Nov 13, 2007
North East,Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Whites Silver Eagle, BHID,M6,CZ21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Willy said:
One thing about the LT field tests.. I don't know if they have a bad word to say about ANY detector. At worst, the report might weakly suggest something they'd like to see, or turn a negative into a positive; something along the lines of " after ten minutes the detector shut itself off, which is handy because it gives the detectorist a break and time for a snack". ..Willy.
great reply willy, NONE of the major magazines ever gives a bad review to any detector. in fact if you follow the people doing the reviews over the years they hunt the same 10'x12' patch of their mother-in-laws back yard and amazingly pull silver out of the ground with each new detector they review ;D

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I took my son out to the Field for relic hunting, using the F75 and the Whites DFX. He has never used a detector before... could not adapt to the DFX so I traded him and he had pretty good success with the F 75... I personally like both....too bad the ground was frozen hard...we gave up after a while.

EasyMoney

Sep 15, 2007
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primarily my Fisher cz-70 and Compass Relic & Coin, plus many others
Gary's of Great Britain will give an honest opinion and the best of reviews, but I've noticed a barrage of people now writing all kinds of stuff on Metaldetectorreviews who don't know Jack Squat about a detector, or have only used it an hour or so without learning that it operates a lot differently than the machine they've been using the last 3 years. That's sort of lame, but people right here in certain places on this site who should know better have done that too.

Lost Treasure, Joan Allen and others (appear) to be paid by detector manufacturers to write their garbage. Most of those "reviews" aren't reviews at all, in fact most aren't even "first views", much less re-views. Many are so vague that they are even worse than astrology reports that say one thing in one city and say an entirely opposite thing in a city 50 miles away. And just like astrology claims they too are vague and barely touch the surface. Many others are nothing more than junk written by the manufacturers themselves. I've seen stuff on here that claims only 3 inches on a coin while yet another person claims 22" with the same detector. Soil mineral content and operator familiarity dramatically changes how a detector will work in various soils and with various people.

The only way to know what a detector will do for you is to try the thing out yourself.

Meanwhile, check out this detector: http://www.dixie-metal-detectors.com/nexus.htm

I wonder just how good it is? They claim 20% less than the Nexus SE and that should still blow away everything else on the market. And a suggested retail at $1129.95

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I actually spent about 130 hours researching all the detectors on the market. I have hunting coin and relic since 1981. The Nexus is one that caught my eye. I settled on the F75 though. What I really like about the Nexus is the manual controls. Tweaking the detector acording to ground and weather conditions is a must for optimal success.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread