New guessing contest with a silver prize!

sjvalleyhunter

Silver Member
May 5, 2014
Central California
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac and Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Back in 2014 I held a contest where I posted pictures of the clad that I had accumulated from my hunts and had TreasureNet members guess how much it totaled. Since then a few other members, including BladeRunner2019, Carolina Tom, and DeepseekerADS have held similar contests. Thank you to those members and any others who I may have missed. I think these types of contests are fun and a nice little variation from the typical show and tell posts. For that reason I decided that I wanted to hold another contest, but I wanted to do something different than having folks guess the total of a clad pile.

Well after each of my hunts I dump my trash into a couple of buckets in my garage. In fact I weighed them and I had 66 pounds of trash. I figure that it took me a couple of years to fill up the buckets. As I was emptying out my pouch after a recent hunt, it dawned on me as to what I can do. So here is my latest contest:

Guess how many pull tabs are in this pile of trash that I have dug in the past couple of years. I dumped it all out on my workbench so you can get a better look at it.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1499804909.444377.jpg

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1499804932.892453.jpg

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1499804948.945207.jpg

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1499804962.028600.jpg

It took a few days to sort through it all, but I finally finished and separated out all of the pull tabs. Frankly it took substantially longer and was more tedious than I had anticipated, but I actually found about a dollar in clad that I had mixed in with it and found a few relics that I didn't want to throw out. Plus, I'll donate the pulltabs to a local charity that collects them so it was worth the time it took.

Fine print:
I will only count modern pull tabs and the old style beaver tails. I will not count partial tabs or a beaver tail if it's not fully intact or missing the "tail."

Only one guess per person. Guesses will be accepted through 07/19/17 at 11:59 pm, pacific standard time.

The closest guess wins, either over or under the correct number. If there is a tie, i.e. if the correct number is 100 and someone guesses 99 and someone else guesses 101, the winner will be whoever posted their guess first.

Oh yeah, I almost forget the most important part. The winner of the contest will be receive a few older coins. I will send the winner a 1915 Barber quarter, a 1910 "V" nickel and a 1889 Indian head cent.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1499804873.273445.jpg

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1499804890.375215.jpg

Good luck!

Upvote 0

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kudos! I just finished a similar contest last month, I posted it in the General Discussion forum and had excellent participation...Msbeepbeep was the grand winner as she was closest to the 788 clad dimes I had accumulated and cleaned. I guess 426 !! Thx, Ddf

OP
OP
sjvalleyhunter

sjvalleyhunter

Silver Member
May 5, 2014
Central California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Kudos! I just finished a similar contest last month, I posted it in the General Discussion forum and had excellent participation...Msbeepbeep was the grand winner as she was closest to the 788 clad dimes I had accumulated and cleaned. I guess 426 !! Thx, Ddf

Darn, I missed that one!

skate11sm

Jul 9, 2017
Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back in 2014 I held a contest where I posted pictures of the clad that I had accumulated from my hunts and had TreasureNet members guess how much it totaled. Since then a few other members, including BladeRunner2019, Carolina Tom, and DeepseekerADS have held similar contests. Thank you to those members and any others who I may have missed. I think these types of contests are fun and a nice little variation from the typical show and tell posts. For that reason I decided that I wanted to hold another contest, but I wanted to do something different than having folks guess the total of a clad pile.

Well after each of my hunts I dump my trash into a couple of buckets in my garage. In fact I weighed them and I had 66 pounds of trash. I figure that it took me a couple of years to fill up the buckets. As I was emptying out my pouch after a recent hunt, it dawned on me as to what I can do. So here is my latest contest:

Guess how many pull tabs are in this pile of trash that I have dug in the past couple of years. I dumped it all out on my workbench so you can get a better look at it.

View attachment 1471044

View attachment 1471045

View attachment 1471046

View attachment 1471047

It took a few days to sort through it all, but I finally finished and separated out all of the pull tabs. Frankly it took substantially longer and was more tedious than I had anticipated, but I actually found about a dollar in clad that I had mixed in with it and found a few relics that I didn't want to throw out. Plus, I'll donate the pulltabs to a local charity that collects them so it was worth the time it took.

Fine print:
I will only count modern pull tabs and the old style beaver tails. I will not count partial tabs or a beaver tail if it's not fully intact or missing the "tail."

Only one guess per person. Guesses will be accepted through 07/19/17 at 11:59 pm, pacific standard time.

The closest guess wins, either over or under the correct number. If there is a tie, i.e. if the correct number is 100 and someone guesses 99 and someone else guesses 101, the winner will be whoever posted their guess first.

Oh yeah, I almost forget the most important part. The winner of the contest will be receive a few older coins. I will send the winner a 1915 Barber quarter, a 1910 "V" nickel and a 1889 Indian head cent.

View attachment 1471042

View attachment 1471043

Good luck!
317!!

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using TreasureNet.com mobile app

OP
OP
sjvalleyhunter

sjvalleyhunter

Silver Member
May 5, 2014
Central California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I should have posted it in this forum...but thx very much...did you mention the cut-off date? Ddf

I am letting it go for a full week through 07/19/17 at 11:59 pm, pacific standard time. I know that's kind of a long time, but I realize that not everyone checks Tnet everyday and I wanted to give as many folks as possible an opportunity to guess.

Geobound

Feb 21, 2017
Ontario
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (2019)
Fisher CZ-21 (2019)
CTX 3030 (April 2017)
AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Pro Pointer
Stavr Scoop Moonstrik 6
Stealth 720i (BNIB)
Home made beach scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy crap that's a lot of trash.

I've never laid mine out like that, but I think I will start saving it just to see what I end up with?

Great idea for a contest, but I think you should have done it differently.

You should have asked how long you let that trash sit on your nicely organized bench, before the OCD kicked in and you had to clean up every last spec of dirt? :laughing7: :tongue3:

That is one seriously organized bench! :thumb_up:

I'm going to guess 1120.............and 1 hour and 12 minutes before the OCD took over! HAHAHAHAHA........

Digger X

Apr 10, 2017
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, MD 1030 Gold Digger ll. Deteknix Xpointer Huntmate pinpointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
sjvalleyhunter

sjvalleyhunter

Silver Member
May 5, 2014
Central California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Holy crap that's a lot of trash.

I've never laid mine out like that, but I think I will start saving it just to see what I end up with?

Great idea for a contest, but I think you should have done it differently.

You should have asked how long you let that trash sit on your nicely organized bench, before the OCD kicked in and you had to clean up every last spec of dirt? :laughing7: :tongue3:

That is one seriously organized bench! :thumb_up:

I'm going to guess 1120.............and 1 hour and 12 minutes before the OCD took over! HAHAHAHAHA........

Ha! It's funny you mention that because I don't like dirty stuff / equipment. Whenever I use tools, or even my detector, I wipe everything down and give it a good cleaning when I'm done. I even have my pinpointer wrapped in a glove so I can just take the glove off and throw it away leaving a clean pinpointer. Yeah, it's a little OCD I know. It took me about an hour with a lot of sweeping and nearing burning up my shop vac to get everything clean after going through all of that trash!

Last edited:

sonofadigger

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
SOMEWHERE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E-TRAC MINELAB SAFARI TEKNETICS OMEGA 8000 GARRETT AT PRO GARRETT PRO POINTER VIBRA PROBE 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread