Apex,
ORX,
Deus,
Vanquish 440
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is "reasonably priced" to you?

For the beach (dry sand) and the dirt just about any machine will work - some might work better than others though.

For wet salt conditions the price goes up a bit if you want a machine that is waterproof.

A new Nokta Simplex can be had for $250 (without the wireless headphones). Adding the headphones moves the price to $330 or so. Most reviews are very positive. Not ideal for salt water hunting, but it is waterproof and can do the job if hunting the salt water isn't the primary goal.

The Minelab Vanquish 440 can be had for $270 or so (new) and it will do fine in the wet salt sand. It isn't waterproof though. Most reviews have been very positive.

The most recommended machines (for general hunting - including salt water) are Minelab Equinoxes (either the 600 or the 800). Both are waterproof, both have lots of positive reviews. The 600 runs around $650 new, and the 800 runs around $900 new.

There is also the Garrett Apex - around $400 without the wireless headphones ($480 with). Like the Minelabs above, it is a multi-frequency machine. It is not waterproof though. Very good on wet salt sand.

Nokta also has the Multi Kruzer and the Anfibio (multi) - both machines are waterproof and both let the user select the single frequency from one of three available frequencies. Both are very capable machines, but hunting wet salt sand isn't where they truly excel (they can do it, but you won't get the depth/stability of a simultaneous frequency machine). The Multi Kruzer runs somewhere around $550 new, and the Anfibio is another $100 or so.

If you ask your question in the general forum, you'll likely get a lot more replies/suggestions.

Richard Guy

VETERAN
Dec 19, 2019
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster
Bounty Hunter 202
Nokta Simplex +
Nokta Legend
Nokta PulseDive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Simplex with wireless headphones = way happy

OP
OP
B

brewboss

Mar 9, 2011
Searching on line for “best metal detector” had me thinking the Fisher 22 would be a good model to start with.....but reading your reply has me wondering. I was hoping to find something in the $300 area to start with. I think starting out on dry land/dry sand would cover 99% of my use of a detector. If it becomes something I really enjoy then the step up to a machine that will handle wet sand/salt water would be another purchase.

Tahts-a-dats-ago

Apr 30, 2014
NJ
Detector(s) used
Legend,
Anfibio multi,
Apex,
ORX,
Deus,
Vanquish 440
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Searching on line for “best metal detector” had me thinking the Fisher 22 would be a good model to start with.....but reading your reply has me wondering. I was hoping to find something in the $300 area to start with. I think starting out on dry land/dry sand would cover 99% of my use of a detector. If it becomes something I really enjoy then the step up to a machine that will handle wet sand/salt water would be another purchase.

With a price standpoint of $300 there are a number of machines (new) that would likely meet your objectives.

Nokta Simplex

Minelab Vanquish 440

Fisher F5 (no longer being made, but a search for the machine and a price of $299 should bring up a dealer who is selling them at that price)

Teknetics has several machines that should fit your objectives.

There's also the option of buying a good used machine.

Contact a few of the dealers who sponsor this forum. They will be happy to help you choose the machine that will fit your needs, and you'll get a great price.

Were it me, I'd be inclined to lean heavily toward the Simplex with wireless headphones. That's based solely on my experience with the Nokta machines I do own.

OP
OP
B

brewboss

Mar 9, 2011
It looks like the Nokia simplex is the better choice at the same price point, thank you for pointing me in the right direction!

Richard Guy

VETERAN
Dec 19, 2019
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster
Bounty Hunter 202
Nokta Simplex +
Nokta Legend
Nokta PulseDive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It looks like the Nokia simplex is the better choice at the same price point, thank you for pointing me in the right direction!

Once you get familiar with the stock coil, save up for the SP24 coil, an incredibly serious Simplex match-up running v2.77 in Park1 mode.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread