New guy…just bought Garret AT Pro. Now what do I do?

qzcombs

Mar 13, 2022
Seattle, Washington
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Hey everyone:
today is my 64th birthday and I have wanted a metal detector since I was 10 yrs old.
I used to watch Uncle “Bud” treasure hunt for hours at a time.
He had many many treasures coins n relics that he found Over the years.

I have always imagined how much fun it would be to find such lost treasure.
so, now that I have one… let the adventure begin.

Quinn

Last edited:
OP
OP
qzcombs

qzcombs

Mar 13, 2022
Seattle, Washington
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Ok… NOW I read what to read BEFORE I post.

I am new.
Not retired yet, but workin towards it.

Still find more joy in riding my Harley than I do in driving the RV.

I also thought I could take the metal detector on the Harley, and as I drive through the desert of Nevada, or the mountains of Montana, I could nose around select locations.

I look forward to meeting nice people in the metal detecting world.

Quinn

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
Welcome Aboard! You didn't list your state (or country) in your profile. So, you might consider jumping over to Sub-Forum: Select Your Area.... and selecting location information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state (or country). You might also consider adding your state (or country) to your displayed profile (SETTINGS -> EDIT PROFILE) so if you ask a question, etc. - members may have more success helping you (your location may help etc.)...
tn_metal_detector.gif
Congrat's on your new MD - you might enjoy browsing BRANDS > GARRETT > GARRETT AT PRO for additional information about your new toy...

Chilli

Feb 10, 2022
OZ
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705
Garrett 24k
AlgoForce E1500
Hey everyone:
today is my 64th birthday and I have wanted a metal detector since I was 10 yrs old.

Quinn
Have fun. I have been detecting for years. Soon im hoping to get a Garrett 24k. Had numerous others but still am like a kid in a Candy Shop.
Good luck and back yourself in 👍

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Get out and start digging targets! You will dig a lot of trash because there is more trash in the ground than treasure or coins/jewelry.
A good pinpointer like the Garrett carrot will speed up recovery and therefore allow you to dig more targets.
Throw a coin down on the ground (not a nickel!) Ck it out with the machine and then check out a nickel and a pulltab and a bottle cap. Yep, it's not as easy as it could be, but you can and will learn to differentiate the items. Well, except for the pulltabs, nickels and gold rings. That is much much harder and even impossible to master. Other than that, get out and dig targets to learn. Have fun, always pack the trash you find out with you and be sure to cover up any hole you dig. Digging plugs is another art you will want to master. A hinged plug will possibly not even turn yellow if working in grass and done right. Remember that critters will dig the easy spot so if you leave loose plugs you might come back the next day to see a bunch of badly repacked plugs turned up by the critters. Makes it look like you dug holes and didn't backfill. Private property is just that. Permission is better than getting shot.
I've got thousands of hours in with that machine. It works great regardless of some of the backlash you'll get for buying it instead of a multi frequency machine.
did I mention to HAVE FUN? Good luck and hope to see some keepers posted from you soon.

Shakakka

May 11, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

New guy…just bought Garret AT Pro. Now what do I do?​

Okay, first you dig up your front lawn until you have exactly $1.38 in change - no more, no less. Or until you hit a sprinkler head, or sever a sprinkler line. Once you've done any of these things, you're ready for the park.

At the park, dig until you've found another two dollars, six cans, thirty pull tabs, eleven crushed-up metal soda caps, or that one gold ring at the tot-lot dropped by the hot single mom taking hoisting her toddler in and out of the baby swing.

Stop for a drink - preferably something with sugar. Use your soil-encrusted money to buy it. Ignore the dirty looks the cashier gives you. Instead, smile and wipe your filthy forearm across your filthy forehead.

Head back to your house. Now dig your back lawn until your wife yells at you to stop. Or alternately, until find a silver coin, a buffalo nickel, or two-dozen rusty nails from that old shed that collapsed in the corner years back.

By now you'll be tired, but you're not done. Turn your discrimination all the way up, until you've eliminated everything but signals greater than 90. Now head to your neighbor's yard (either side, across the street, it doesn't matter) and hunt until you find your very first silver dollar. EVERYONE does this. It's the rite of passage for any new metal detectorist - especially one with a Garrett - to find his first silver dollar on his first day out.

If it gets dark outside, you're permitted to substitute your first silver dollar for your first cat-food can lid. Both will ring up as a 95. Both will be shiny, and make you happy.

Now go inside, have a beer, and post photos right here of everything you've found so we can evaluate you as a detectorist. Make sure you do this before fixing those sprinkler lines, or you'll have to start all over again tomorrow.

OP
OP
qzcombs

qzcombs

Mar 13, 2022
Seattle, Washington
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Get out and start digging targets! You will dig a lot of trash because there is more trash in the ground than treasure or coins/jewelry.
A good pinpointer like the Garrett carrot will speed up recovery and therefore allow you to dig more targets.
Throw a coin down on the ground (not a nickel!) Ck it out with the machine and then check out a nickel and a pulltab and a bottle cap. Yep, it's not as easy as it could be, but you can and will learn to differentiate the items. Well, except for the pulltabs, nickels and gold rings. That is much much harder and even impossible to master. Other than that, get out and dig targets to learn. Have fun, always pack the trash you find out with you and be sure to cover up any hole you dig. Digging plugs is another art you will want to master. A hinged plug will possibly not even turn yellow if working in grass and done right. Remember that critters will dig the easy spot so if you leave loose plugs you might come back the next day to see a bunch of badly repacked plugs turned up by the critters. Makes it look like you dug holes and didn't backfill. Private property is just that. Permission is better than getting shot.
I've got thousands of hours in with that machine. It works great regardless of some of the backlash you'll get for buying it instead of a multi frequency machine.
did I mention to HAVE FUN? Good luck and hope to see some keepers posted from you soon.
Hey Xr7ator:
Thanks for the good word. I will do what you said to do. Lessee if I got it. ( I might have changed the order around).
I will even give it a name:
Xr7ator'S TOP 10 FOR MD NEWBIES
(plus 1 bonus)
1. Have fun.
2. Get out and dig targets.
3. Throw down coin (no nickels).
4. Throw down nickel, pull tab & bottle cap.
5. Learn - to differentiate the items.
6. Trash I find, pack it out with me.
7. Cover up any hole I dig.
8. Master the art of digging plugs.
a. If you dig a hole, always backfill.
b. Hinge plugs, do em right.
c. Leave loose plugs & critters unpack em.
9. Private Property is private property.
a. Permission is better than getting shot.
10. Don't worry about the backlash I will get for buying my Garret AT Pro instead of a multi freq. machine.
11. Keep fingers crossed for good luck finding treasure.

I will keep this in front of me.

Thanks
Quinn

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
welcome.
It takes a while to learn your machine, I suggest a beach, volley ball court, somewhere easy to dig, you will soon get a feel for your machine, and then you can hit better spots.
Good luck, post some pics.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey everyone:

Quinn
Welcome to Treasure net. Something you might consdier is look on youtube for people using the same type of detector you purchased . You can get a LOT of HINTS from youtube :) and GOOD LUCK !!

ADHD_Outdoors

Mar 31, 2022
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
-Dig everything.
-Don't get disappointed by less than spectacular finds.
-Avoid road sides unless you recycle aluminum cans. (Only half kidding)
-The more you search and dig, the better you're going to get at locating the object and you will dig smaller holes.
-Get a good pinpointer.

Maybe the most the important thing, keep in mind that everything that touches our hands succumbs to gravity if let go of. There is some really cool, historically and intrinically valuable stuff out there and it's waiting on you to dig up.

Zoboluski

Tenderfoot
Dec 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
qzcombs, I’m looking at getting the AT Pro myself, let me know your first impressions. I’m a little torn between it and a Nokta Simplex or Legend multi-frequency. BTW I’m a fellow Washingtonian but I’m on the sunny side of the state.

nomad 11

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2009
nomads land
Detector(s) used
any tector i can get my hands on
and if you get tired of digging pull tabs and pop tops ? thinking they were a gold ring ? think of me. and how tired i am ? already . but keep ur chin up. theres always hope ? and i forgot ? you asked what do i do now ? you give it to me as i hav'nt tried out that detector yet.

E-Trac-Ohio

Gold Member
Feb 9, 2020
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to Tnet !

The Garrett AT Pro is a great machine - used all over the world - countless great finds !
In this Garrett AT Pro section of Tnet - read others posts and ask questions - it's a great place to learn.
You can also watch youtube video's on your detector - there's plenty of them to watch.
But the most important thing you can do is spend as much time in the field as possible.
Hands on in the dirt is by far the best way to learn what your machine is telling you !

Also, a good tip - make a list of everyone you know that has a house over 75 years old and try to hunt them !

Good luck !

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread