new here

tinyfarts

Feb 4, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
so long story short. I have a claim I saw big gold my uncle who is an old school gold miner crapped his pants when he saw the place and what it produced apparently .. sooo Im pretty new to this and dont even really know how to read a river for sure .. I mean ive done alot of research and have theories.. this past year i went out there I found a 1.65 gram picker in the regular spot i find pickers every cpl years. The water was fairly high and so I picked what to me looked like a spot where there would be very minimal gold since it was just a sorta high sand bank on an outside corner then i took a honda pump and my highbanker and moved an area about 6x8 by about 1 foot deep .
I also suck at cleaning up so I washed out my box a total of 4 times in that timeframe and was checking my tailings .. I was finding gold in my tailings every pan so I clearly suck at running a box and have no idea how to tell what I'm doing wrong.. be it water flow/angle/or any other factors I also dont know how much im supposed to wash out my box I was kinda just testing angles and looking at things ..

I then took all my cons which was about one small tobacco containers worth and I bought a vdr cleanup mat and used oxi clean to clean the the first time like I was told ... but I didnt have the adapter on the end so I was running a hose blasting straight into it which was messing up the water flow alot heres a link to the mat
(deleted by mod, non supporting vendor)
I did not know I was supposed to classify different sizes then run the material . and I just took a spoon and ran the material I was super sloppy about this whole process and def lost gold .. whatever i will be taking it more serious these coming years

4grams from the sand bank is what i got after my sloppy cleanup .. keep in mind this was only a few days work
ive had this claim about 8 years now in the past years i go out i usually pull a few ounces then leave and treat it like a camping trip.. this year im thinking of getting a vdr mat for my sluice box has anyone run these and anyone give any good pointers on running a box?

Now to also jump on topic I went a step up and bought a 3 inch proline dredge ... for a noob this is a big feat .. ANY thoughts are welcome

Last edited by a moderator:

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Highbankers are good at blowing out gold, especially fine gold due to all the bubbles generated by the hopper action. I made a wider extension for my highbanker it helps with the fines. Start running totally flat and feed some dirt, start slowly adjusting the angle until the riffles start working, when it looks good stick your finger in behind a riffle and see how it feels the material should be moving all around if its solid it needs more angle, when set right you can feel it with your finger in the box it vibrates a little the sands squirming around. Do not surge your box an even feed of gravel is important to good recovery running a nozzle don't just jam it into the material, it needs to go up at a metered rate to get the best recovery.

Last edited:

Mysterious Outdoors

Jul 16, 2022
NW Indiana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250...looking into a Nokta Makro Simplex+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep when I ONLY used a HB it ran fast. No matter how often you shoveled into it. It was set to steep. Flatten it out, let it fill up your sluice, not just run through it fast.

Mysterious Outdoors

Jul 16, 2022
NW Indiana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250...looking into a Nokta Makro Simplex+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
so long story short. I have a claim I saw big gold my uncle who is an old school gold miner crapped his pants when he saw the place and what it produced apparently .. sooo Im pretty new to this and dont even really know how to read a river for sure .. I mean ive done alot of research and have theories.. this past year i went out there I found a 1.65 gram picker in the regular spot i find pickers every cpl years. The water was fairly high and so I picked what to me looked like a spot where there would be very minimal gold since it was just a sorta high sand bank on an outside corner then i took a honda pump and my highbanker and moved an area about 6x8 by about 1 foot deep .
I also suck at cleaning up so I washed out my box a total of 4 times in that timeframe and was checking my tailings .. I was finding gold in my tailings every pan so I clearly suck at running a box and have no idea how to tell what I'm doing wrong.. be it water flow/angle/or any other factors I also dont know how much im supposed to wash out my box I was kinda just testing angles and looking at things ..

I then took all my cons which was about one small tobacco containers worth and I bought a vdr cleanup mat and used oxi clean to clean the the first time like I was told ... but I didnt have the adapter on the end so I was running a hose blasting straight into it which was messing up the water flow alot heres a link to the mat
(deleted by mod, non supporting vendor)
I did not know I was supposed to classify different sizes then run the material . and I just took a spoon and ran the material I was super sloppy about this whole process and def lost gold .. whatever i will be taking it more serious these coming years

4grams from the sand bank is what i got after my sloppy cleanup .. keep in mind this was only a few days work
ive had this claim about 8 years now in the past years i go out i usually pull a few ounces then leave and treat it like a camping trip.. this year im thinking of getting a vdr mat for my sluice box has anyone run these and anyone give any good pointers on running a box?

Now to also jump on topic I went a step up and bought a 3 inch proline dredge ... for a noob this is a big feat .. ANY thoughts are welcome
Your jumping in head first more than me...LOL. Im building my dredge. 3" proline will set you back $2,000 or more. You ready for all that? Get some good gold in your HB to understand the pitch and water flow. Not to sound like the old times here, but crawl before you walk....unless you have big money you can throw around. Welcome to Treasure Net. I hope you get the gold.

AKSasquatch

Jul 17, 2021
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you been shovelling, and like being in the water, I think you'll love dredging. For recovery watch some of Doc's Gold Hog videos on gold recovery to wrap your head around how it moves through a sluice. Can test run some flattened lead shot, spray painted a bright color can help see if you are catching it high in the sluice.

Have you been detecting in the past instead of sluicing or high banking?

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Treasurenet. There are a LOT of VERY HELPFUL people on here !!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread