Jan 5, 2021
Byron, MI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 540 Pro
Minelab Pro-Find 20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Greetings all.

Just picked up a Vanquish 540 Pro Pack with Pro-Find 20 and a Diamond digger. Just barely out of the box.

Not sure if many people detect during the snowy months, but I would love to meet up or have someone teach me the ropes. All new to me, other than watching Youtube vids and reading the various forums, etc.

I'm in Byron, so I would consider Fenton, Flint, Lansing, Howell, Brighton, etc... local to me, and not against a further drive for the right opportunity.

Thanks,
Brian

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Brian, welcome to T Net from another Michigander! I'm in the Brighton area. I don't hunt in the winter, but would be glad to help teach you the ropes this Spring.

OP
OP
M

MachineX

Tenderfoot
Jan 5, 2021
Byron, MI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 540 Pro
Minelab Pro-Find 20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Greetings all.

Just picked up a Vanquish 540 Pro Pack with Pro-Find 20 and a Diamond digger. Just barely out of the box.

Not sure if many people detect during the snowy months, but I would love to meet up or have someone teach me the ropes. All new to me, other than watching Youtube vids and reading the various forums, etc.

I'm in Byron, so I would consider Fenton, Flint, Lansing, Howell, Brighton, etc... local to me, and not against a further drive for the right opportunity.

Thanks,
Brian

Thanks SD51, I added you as a friend and will likely take you up on that. Either I will still need help or we can hunt together sometime.

Thanks again,
Brian

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds good Brian! Like someone mentioned in your other post, put some coins and trash in the ground (when it thaws) to create a test garden to help you learn how your detector responds to the targets. They also mentioned to start creating a list of places to hunt, and no matter what anyone tells you, never detect an area without permission.

If you are after the older Silver coins, your best bet is to hunt the yards of older homes. Most likely, you will be hunting sites that have never been detected.

Also, learn to dig plugs that stay connected to the grass. I dig "U" shaped plugs, put any dirt I remove on a towel, remove the target, pour the dirt back in the hole and reposition the plug in the hole and step on it.

Always remove any trash you dig and also remove any trash you see on the surface.

If you hope to find Gold, you will be digging the famous Pulltabs.

jamest64

Jan 15, 2020
Near Ann Arbor Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 and White's TRX pp, Garrett 400, Pro Pinpointer II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey MachineX What he said. Steve knows how this works. Good luck and feel free to ask any questions that come up. This site is full of smart people.
Jim T

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread