New Jersey Diving

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Where are our guys/gals who dive in the northeastern portion of the U.S.? Seems like this forum is primarily Florida guys/gals. Nothing wrong with that, but I'm curious if there's an online presence for that crowd to keep up with happenings up there. Meanwhile, here is a NJ database to explore for those interested.

whydahdiver

Apr 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where are our guys/gals who dive in the northeastern portion of the U.S.? Seems like this forum is primarily Florida guys/gals. Nothing wrong with that, but I'm curious if there's an online presence for that crowd to keep up with happenings up there. Meanwhile, here is a NJ database to explore for those interested.

Speaking from Rhode Island, I am the archaeologist on 3 sites in Massachusetts, which has the only workable permit system in New England. The other states like R.I. claim everything and don't allow any private salvage, so it seems only Florida and Mass will see much official activity on wrecks.

Also keep in mind we have a pretty short dive season unless you want to use dry suits which are a real pain unless you're working making money. Yesterday it was 2 degrees F. when I took my German Shepherd out for a walk, today it is 45 degrees with a strong storm bringing rain and 40-50 mph winds.

Welcome to New England!

Whydahdiver

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I was born and raised on the New Jersey Shore and did a lot of diving there. What do you want to know?

Reactions: ARC

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Shipwreck Database & Map - New Jersey Maritime Museum

njmaritimemuseum.org
njmaritimemuseum.org
Speaking from Rhode Island, I am the archaeologist on 3 sites in Massachusetts, which has the only workable permit system in New England. The other states like R.I. claim everything and don't allow any private salvage, so it seems only Florida and Mass will see much official activity on wrecks.

How much of the pirate legends up your way are true?

marconi beach

Jun 28, 2015
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
teknetics
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
How much of the pirate legends up your way are true?
Red: in Rhode Island where I live we were loaded with pirates. Newport in particular was a popular hang out for them. Captain Paine was good friends with Cap. Kidd and the latter is known to have visited him at least a couple of times.
R.I. in the late 17th century through about 1730 was so notorious it was called Rogues Island and the Whydah survivors tried to walk from Wellfleet on Cape Cod to Newport, knowing they would be welcomed with open arms. They were captured long before they got even close and spent months in a Boston jail before going to trial. When I started working on the Whydah project my first task was to research the entire even to determine if Clifford was on the right spot.

I found the actual trial documents in the court house where the pirates fate was sealed, almost as fascinating as the wreck itself!

Eventually pirates in R.I. and nearby CT. and Mass. attacked the wrong vessels and pissed off the wrong people. As a result, in 1723, 26 pirates danced the "hempen jig" as hanging was often called in Newport. Their bodies were buried on the north tip of Goat Island "between the flux and reflux" of the tides ensuring the pirates souls would not find eternal peace. Today there is a hotel near that spot and rumor has it that certain rooms are haunted.

As a side note the US Navy built the first torpedo station on Goat Island in 1869 and due to lost torpedoes opened the first Navy dive school there in 1882.

Whydahdiver

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, so the Captain Kidd treasure hoard supposed to be buried on the one island must still be there? Or was it found/recovered or confiscated?

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems there is a story about somebody finding a long copper box that had become exposed, in the water below a high bank/bluff or rocky shoreline. Copper box was so heavy, person left to go get a rope. During that time the waves covered it back up with sand. Another treasure found and treasure lost legend. I'm thinking it was one of the islands had been used by Captain Kidd.

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Kidd supposedly buried treasure in R.I. and on Fishers Island off CT.
And on Long Beach Island NJ, Hatteras Island NC, Cape Island SC, Sea Island GA, Amelia Island FL.....basically everywhere on the east coast LOL.

whydahdiver

Apr 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems there is a story about somebody finding a long copper box that had become exposed, in the water below a high bank/bluff or rocky shoreline. Copper box was so heavy, person left to go get a rope. During that time the waves covered it back up with sand. Another treasure found and treasure lost legend. I'm thinking it was one of the islands had been used by Captain Kidd.
A few years ago I was contacted by the current owner of Paine's house and they were in the process of selling it. They wanted to have the property surveyed with a metal detector to make sure the new owner didn't get a bonus buried without paying for it. Nothing of importance was found fortunately!

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There was supposed to have been a Kidd treasure on this island, somewhere off Puerto Rico. You can go there with a camping permit, except the terrain is classified as one of the dangerously hostile places on Earth. I even heard stories the island had been used as a training camp for special forces, to prepare them for Iraq war.

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
There was supposed to have been a Kidd treasure on this island, somewhere off Puerto Rico. You can go there with a camping permit, except the terrain is classified as one of the dangerously hostile places on Earth. I even heard stories the island had been used as a training camp for special forces, to prepare them for Iraq war.
Sounds like Isla de Mona between PR and DR.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That sounds like might be the name.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread