New Jersey man discovers $2,000 cash from 1934 under his porch

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA
Nice way to actually get a pleasant surprise during a renovation. The odds were on severe termite damage, and this guy had a long shot pay off. Well, initially. Now the odds have shifted to whether or not this will be declared robbery money or some other kind of contraband or ill-gotten gains, and how much of a rake the various tax entities are going to get. Let's see...being New Jersey there is going to be a local and state whack for sure, and maybe even a county wack. And don't forget the federal whack, either. Another thing to consider from a government perspective, if this money was found under the porch, couldn't it be construed as being a part of the house, thereby raising the assessed tax value of the house an additional $2000 for every year since 1934? That's a lot of back taxes!

New Jersey man discovers $2,000 cash from 1934 under his porch

OP
OP
MiddenMonster

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA
Sounds like a "Win-Win". Next time keep your trap shut!
Man, I agree. I saw the video news story on my local Fox affiliate, and this guy was really enjoying his 15 minutes. He said that he wasn't going to cash it in, but was going to keep it intact as a find, kind of like an ancient artifact. Yeah, I'm sure the revenuers are going to see it that way, too. This is going to go, "Thanks for helping us recover government money that was stolen", "Thanks for helping us recover contraband money from bootleggers", or "Here's your tax bill. Pay it now."

I have to say, I was very surprised at how well this money held up being in the ground for so long. I mean, we're talking 88 years. Granted, it was under the porch and presumably sheltered from most of the elements. But still...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread