New Legend owner!

1Seekingsilver

Mar 1, 2023
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Whites V3i and Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Agree with "spotsyrick". Mine came with 1.05 and I have updated whenever a new version came out. Not that big a leap. Mine has always worked so well that I haven't had to do much adjusting. Doing more now with 1.11 because my basic skills work and now I'm honing them and its working great. I set up for the beaches with 6 tones with every thing iron and bottle caps range a low grunt, higher for gold range, and highest pitch for the high conductors. I detect ALL METAL, and usually dig most everything. If I had notched out iron I would not have found the 1715 fleet engravers tool that is a perfect match for the one in the McLarty Treasure Museum. But at least now I can anticipate what I might come up with. Gotta admit though that's all pretty easy on the beach with a good sand scoop. Maybe one day I'll develop a good enough ear to try 60. You already have your 2 greatest tools, a really great detector, and a healthy desire to learn. Now practice, practice, practice. Beast of luck!
Cool Find! So I guess I need to update and use factory settings 6 tones and if it sounds good dig it!

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I am a new legend owner as well, and wondered if anyone could tell me if I should use 6 tone or 60 to learn the machine? I have not updated it to 1.11 yet thinking it might be harder to learn with more settings?

60-tone is actually easier to use because you only have one tone break to worry about. Depending on how you have your IF and ST set, you can hear the difference between pull tabs and nickles.

1Seekingsilver

Mar 1, 2023
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
60-tone is actually easier to use because you only have one tone break to worry about. Depending on how you have your IF and ST set, you can hear the difference between pull tabs and nickles.
So right now I am pretty much trying to figure out how to set up my Legend so I can tell the difference between nickels and pull tabs. I also know that by not digging all good signals I am missing gold or jewelry. So for a beginner on this machine can you recommend some settings?

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
in the Tucson AZ area now
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
2-Nokta/Macro Legend Pro Pack
Simplex Plus
Xterra 705
x2 quest X Pointer Max - my favorite
Fisher F Pulse
Nokta Pulse Dive 2in1 kit
Garrett AT Pro (not Used)
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Cool Find! So I guess I need to update and use factory settings 6 tones and if it sounds good dig it!
Honestly the 1.11 is no harder to learn then the first,second and third versions are to learn as a couple other members mentioned, I would update to 1.11 so you are not behind the eight ball, in the learning curve

here is the thing to remember just because there has been several new features added in the 1.11 version does not mean you have to use those features at all but it is nice that the features have been added if you choose to use them, the Legend has had many new features and inhancements added with each update that has been given to us, and each and every one of those added features and enhancements has made huge performance improvements to the Legend.

the 1.11 version what I am finding made my Legend more stable on the ground I detect, which is on the extreme side of mineralization, in the 1.11 version I am now able to push my sensitivity to 26-30 most of the time I am at 27 on the sensitivity where before with versions 1.04,1.05,1.07 and 1.09 i was only able to achieve a sensitivity level of 15-19 most of the time I was at 17, the other thing I have noticed is the TIDs (target IDs) are much more stable in 1.11 version in previous earlier versions the TIDs were all over the place and pretty UN reliable for me, also the tones in 1.11 seem much more stable than in previous versions, another thing that has improved for me with the 1.11 version is the ground balance works much much better than in previous versions
(The GB was always one of my biggest complaints in earlier versions), also the threshold in park,field and beach modes now seems to be working much better in 1.11

KodyB

Aug 28, 2022
Yes, 60 tones gives you MUCH more information. Do you have a test garden? That’s ALL I use now is 60 times unless I’m hunting in super heavy iron then I’ll switch to pitch tones and listen for any tone that isn’t iron. Once you train your ear on 60 tones you can tell between copper & zinc Pennie’s without even looking at your screen.

KodyB

Aug 28, 2022
Honestly the 1.11 is no harder to learn then the first,second and third versions are to learn as a couple other members mentioned, I would update to 1.11 so you are not behind the eight ball, in the learning curve

here is the thing to remember just because there has been several new features added in the 1.11 version does not mean you have to use those features at all but it is nice that the features have been added if you choose to use them, the Legend has had many new features and inhancements added with each update that has been given to us, and each and every one of those added features and enhancements has made huge performance improvements to the Legend.

the 1.11 version what I am finding made my Legend more stable on the ground I detect, which is on the extreme side of mineralization, in the 1.11 version I am now able to push my sensitivity to 26-30 most of the time I am at 27 on the sensitivity where before with versions 1.04,1.05,1.07 and 1.09 i was only able to achieve a sensitivity level of 15-19 most of the time I was at 17, the other thing I have noticed is the TIDs (target IDs) are much more stable in 1.11 version in previous earlier versions the TIDs were all over the place and pretty UN reliable for me, also the tones in 1.11 seem much more stable than in previous versions, another thing that has improved for me with the 1.11 version is the ground balance works much much better than in previous versions
(The GB was always one of my biggest complaints in earlier versions), also the threshold in park,field and beach modes now seems to be working much better in 1.11
I agree. With the 1.11 the VDI is more stable and I can use any multi program with my sensitivity maxed out to 30 unless I’m directly under power lines etc, but even then I can just drop it to 25 and it’s good. I can crank it to 30 in single frequency no matter where I’m at.

KodyB

Aug 28, 2022
So right now I am pretty much trying to figure out how to set up my Legend so I can tell the difference between nickels and pull tabs. I also know that by not digging all good signals I am missing gold or jewelry. So for a beginner on this machine can you recommend some settings?
I would recommend starting out on multi 2 park with recovery 7. Multi has more stable VDI & nickels will hit at 25-26, BUT some pull tabs will hit on those numbers. No MD is perfect. If you’re looking for gold rings/jewelry you basically going to have to dig all the mid tones on any machine.

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
For shallow hunting in trashy areas:
Park
M2
- Better for unmasking targets in iron and it's weighted towards mid-conductors but will still hit on high conductors. If there's heavy EMI in multi then just 15khz or any clear single freq.

Recovery - 8 to 10.
Audio Gain: I like my AG low at 1 or 2 so that I can hear the depth of the target easier. An average setting might be 3 or 4.
Deeper targets: Dial the recovery back to 5-6, and if you're going for coins either M3 or 5khz. But like 5khz, in M3 you'll miss all the small gold.

Last edited:

Richard Guy

VETERAN
Dec 19, 2019
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster
Bounty Hunter 202
Nokta Simplex +
Nokta Legend
Nokta PulseDive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am a new legend owner as well, and wondered if anyone could tell me if I should use 6 tone or 60 to learn the machine? I have not updated it to 1.11 yet thinking it might be harder to learn with more settings?
I find that the 60 tone provides more linear target info. I started out using the 6 tone and when I switched to 60 tone, the tones made better sense to me. It sort of 'opened' up the experience

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let me WELCOME you to a very FINE FORUM . I am near Canton Ohio

Richard Guy

VETERAN
Dec 19, 2019
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster
Bounty Hunter 202
Nokta Simplex +
Nokta Legend
Nokta PulseDive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Give the following settings a try, I got them from Calabash, ... he called it a "Deep Silver" setting. It seems to work great, even for non-silver targets.

M2, Recovery speed 4, Iron filter 2, Stability 5, Audio gain 4, 60 tones.

Last edited:

1Seekingsilver

Mar 1, 2023
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Give the following settings a try, I got them from Calabash, ... he called it a "Deep Silver" setting. It seems to work great, even for non-silver targets.

M2, Recovery speed 4, Iron filter 2, Stability 5, Audio gain 4, 60 tones.
Thanks, I will have to try it.

1Seekingsilver

Mar 1, 2023
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I find that the 60 tone provides more linear target info. I started out using the 6 tone and when I switched to 60 tone, the tones made better sense to me. It sort of 'opened' up the experience
I am hoping it works for me like it did you. I am anxious to try it.

1Seekingsilver

Mar 1, 2023
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So I have read the manual once and re-read a couple of pages. One in particular is the one on saving user settings. I am confused however, on How you switch back to factory program settings, after you have loaded a custom profile or 2? It talks about doing factory reset, but I am talking about the use of a saved custom profile for a hour and then wanting to switch back to factory setting. Does this make sense?

RwP

Feb 12, 2020
Midwest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I have read the manual once and re-read a couple of pages. One in particular is the one on saving user settings. I am confused however, on How you switch back to factory program settings, after you have loaded a custom profile or 2? It talks about doing factory reset, but I am talking about the use of a saved custom profile for a hour and then wanting to switch back to factory setting. Does this make sense?
I think I understand you're question, save program in user 2, then when you want to go back to stock just switch to user one that shouldn't be highlighted.

1Seekingsilver

Mar 1, 2023
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So if I am understanding you correctly when you want to save a program save it on user 2, and leave 1 alone or blank. Thanks for the help.

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
in the Tucson AZ area now
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
2-Nokta/Macro Legend Pro Pack
Simplex Plus
Xterra 705
x2 quest X Pointer Max - my favorite
Fisher F Pulse
Nokta Pulse Dive 2in1 kit
Garrett AT Pro (not Used)
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So if I am understanding you correctly when you want to save a program save it on user 2, and leave 1 alone or blank. Thanks for the help.
what RwP said is correct you can use any of the four little men just make sure you have one that you have saved nothing in and use the one with no personal settings saved to go back to factory settings in each mode

1Seekingsilver

Mar 1, 2023
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
what RwP said is correct you can use any of the four little men just make sure you have one that you have saved nothing in and use the one with no personal settings saved to go back to factory settings in each mode
Ok thanks for clarifying this for me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread