New member and need advice

gobblesandgrunts

Dec 29, 2019
Middle Tn
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone, just getting into the hobby. Wanted to for a long time just haven't had much time. I am needing to know the best tools to use to get started. I talked to a friend who said a notka simplex plus would be the best option. Waterproof, great features for a novice but yet a good machine. Its 255$ without the headphones. Any information helps with places to start and ways to read my detector as well as a good pinpointer. My family has a farm that was bought in 1905 that is still in the family I wanted to start with. Just a thought. Thanks!

Upvote 0

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Btw how can you access the classified section? I know alot of forums require so many post. I can find the rules on here. Just thought I may be able to find a good used one on here as well as a pinpointer maybe. Also I have a ton of vintage stuff I'd trade too but just wondering on classified section

I started detecting without a handheld pinpointer, it just takes a bit longer. The Simplex sounds like a good first detector. I’m pretty sure you have to buy a charter membership to sell on Tnet. I know some members have found used detectors on their local Craig’s list or other such sites.

OP
OP
G

gobblesandgrunts

Dec 29, 2019
Middle Tn
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started detecting without a handheld pinpointer, it just takes a bit longer. The Simplex sounds like a good first detector. I’m pretty sure you have to buy a charter membership to sell on Tnet. I know some members have found used detectors on their local Craig’s list or other such sites.
Ah man that stinks, I check craigslist but nothing in my area. Thanks for your help

Sandflea

Greenie
Nov 27, 2012
Western Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 and pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am a Garrett fan, been using them for about 50+ years and have worn out 3, I'm using an Ace 250 right now and it does an excellent job.

Now for the fun part, a couple years ago I sponsored a detector hunt for MineLab days, they furnished me with a lot of stuff including a small foldup detector. I made a lot of targets for the hunt including a detector with 1/8th inch welding rod, a 5/16th nut, and flat washer for the coil set, I buried it about 8" deep under some dirt and rocks, this was my top prize, OK. I had 22 people show up and almost all the prizes gone except the grand prize, then a guy I've for a long time comes up and asked what this funny thing was he had found with his MineLab detector. We, and MineLab, had a good laugh about using a MineLab detector to find a target for a MineLab detector grand prize, and everyone else walked over the target a bunch of times.

I guess the main thing to learn is take a bunch of different metal objects, put them in ziplock bags, bury them at different depths, and the same distance from some place like a wall, fence, etc, about 10 ft apart, and mark the spot with some type of sign, grade stake, survey flag, or? and practice, practice, practice until you learn what your detector is telling you. DO NOT dig up your targets, that's what the flags are for, what it is, how deep it is, etc. This is how I do detector classes. Hope this helps you have a lot of fun, good detecting, less frustration, and be able to help friends get started too.

DON'T forget to fill any holes back in before you leave the spot, and replace the turf if there is any. This is not only considerate of the land owner, but shows respect for others so they don't get hurt falling, and have a healthy respect for us detectorists. A good rule of thumb has been not to spend over $100 per inch of depth for a detector, some times you can get a decent machine at yard sales and pawn shops, get something that's fairly simple to learn and use, too many people buy the biggest, bestest high dollar machine, that some saleperson sells them, then find out that it is so complicated that they don't understand it, so it goes in the closet and never sees daylight again, keep it simple and not too expensive, you can always upgrade later as your experience gets better.
Hope this helps, be careful, be safe, enjoy a lot. >^..^<
Chuck S

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Used machines are often the absolute best value. Many many people think they'd like to detect but when they find out most of what all of us dig is junk and that it takes a ton of patience to actually learn their machines and hunt they sell their machines after little use. Ebay has many good deals every day on almost any detector brand used. Craigslist also is a good place to find good, little used machines. Many still carry a year or two of factory warranty. You, like the rest of us will spend many hours and dig many holes without finding any good items, it is the hard part of the game. You will discover the insane amount of metallic objects that are deposited in or on the ground by we slovenly humans. Patience rules and if you have that you will have fun no matter which machine you use!!

Last edited:

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Simplex has gotten some good reviews here. I suggest you do a search on tnet for posts of Simplex user impressions.

Focus on the basics. In addition to the machine you choose, you absolutely need headphones and a digger (I like Wilcox stainless diggers but there are many excellent choices). The biggest mistake I see is new users going without headphones and digging only modern surface junk because they can't hear the faint signals of better, deeper objects. After you become more familiar with your machine, you can add a pinpointer in time, or get one for your birthday, etc. Many of us hunted successfully for decades before pinpointers came about.

Try out your new machine where the digging is easy - a newly plowed field, or a beach. Perfect your recovery techniques before trying a homesite or lawn.

Last edited:

Coinboy

Dec 4, 2019
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Nokta Makro Simplex, pulsedive, Garrett Ace 200, Nokta pinpointer, Brute Magnetics 888 pound Fishing Magnet
Predatortools
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For a pinpointer I recommend the nokta pointer. It has 10 levels of sensitivity also a vibration mode. Only 85$ too.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Garrett AT, White's TRX, and Minelab Profind are all good pin pointers too.

OP
OP
G

gobblesandgrunts

Dec 29, 2019
Middle Tn
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So.... after reading more threads about saltwater hunting, I definitely want one I can use here at home and on the east coast where my family goes each year for vacation lol any suggestions as a good detect oki r like the simplex but still saltwater worthy?

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try your local detector store or our sponsor dealers here on Tnet. If you're a bit more adventurous when taking a risk on a used machine, try Craigslist or Ebay.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So.... after reading more threads about saltwater hunting, I definitely want one I can use here at home and on the east coast where my family goes each year for vacation lol any suggestions as a good detect oki r like the simplex but still saltwater worthy?

Many single frequency detectors will work to a point, but, they usually lose a lot of depth to get them stable in salt water wet sand and in the ocean. To get something that will get substantial depth and stability, you need to get either a pulse inductive (PI) machine or a multifrequency VLF machine. PI machines work great in salt water, but, they're basically a beep and dig machine. You will find everything made of metal......both good and bad. With a VLF machine, you can discriminate what you want to find. At the beach, that would usually mean either all metal (like the PI machine) or you can eliminate some targets (based on conductivity). In practical use, that means getting rid of iron targets for the most part. To get a machine that is waterproof, and will work in salt water, and also discriminate cost more money that what is in your budget for a new machine. Even used ones are probably higher than the price range you want. Check around though, I've seen and found some good deals from time to time. My personal choices for what your use will be would be: 1st Equinox.....best bang for the buck out there. 2nd would be the CTX.....a lot more money. There really isn't a good 3rd choice that I'm aware of. The other great salt water VLF machines like the Excalibur and CZ20-21 aren't a real good land machine. They'll work fine on land, but, they just don't have the features (like a display and depth meter) that most people like to have when deciding to dig in the dirt or not. They also aren't as light and ergonomic as the better land machines. If course, you can always get two machines! One for land and another for ocean. There again, probably more than you want to spend.

OP
OP
G

gobblesandgrunts

Dec 29, 2019
Middle Tn
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many single frequency detectors will work to a point, but, they usually lose a lot of depth to get them stable in salt water wet sand and in the ocean. To get something that will get substantial depth and stability, you need to get either a pulse inductive (PI) machine or a multifrequency VLF machine. PI machines work great in salt water, but, they're basically a beep and dig machine. You will find everything made of metal......both good and bad. With a VLF machine, you can discriminate what you want to find. At the beach, that would usually mean either all metal (like the PI machine) or you can eliminate some targets (based on conductivity). In practical use, that means getting rid of iron targets for the most part. To get a machine that is waterproof, and will work in salt water, and also discriminate cost more money that what is in your budget for a new machine. Even used ones are probably higher than the price range you want. Check around though, I've seen and found some good deals from time to time. My personal choices for what your use will be would be: 1st Equinox.....best bang for the buck out there. 2nd would be the CTX.....a lot more money. There really isn't a good 3rd choice that I'm aware of. The other great salt water VLF machines like the Excalibur and CZ20-21 aren't a real good land machine. They'll work fine on land, but, they just don't have the features (like a display and depth meter) that most people like to have when deciding to dig in the dirt or not. They also aren't as light and ergonomic as the better land machines. If course, you can always get two machines! One for land and another for ocean. There again, probably more than you want to spend.
Sounds like I need/want the equinox haha gonna check into them. Maybe I can find one!

OP
OP
G

gobblesandgrunts

Dec 29, 2019
Middle Tn
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found an equinox 600 for 525$ and miccuss sr-71 headphones for 60$ more or mini 503 headphones for 10$. Two months old the guy said. What do you think? Pictures look perfect condition

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Simplex, Garrett Pin Pointer and a good digger. Good Luck in your new adventure! :occasion14:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found an equinox 600 for 525$ and miccuss sr-71 headphones for 60$ more or mini 503 headphones for 10$. Two months old the guy said. What do you think? Pictures look perfect condition

If that's in your budget, it's a great choice.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I have a mint in box Simplex with the wireless headphones that I purchased for my wife but she’s not interested in the hobby. I bought the Simplex from bigboyshobbies for $333 and will sell it for $250 shipped insured with USPS. PM if you’re interested. Thanks

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread