NEW MEXICO GEOGLYPH

aaronsm321

Sep 19, 2018
OHIO
Detector(s) used
GARRETT AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lately in my spare time I have been preparing a so called "adventure map" in anticipation of hopefully moving west in about a year. While trying to map the old Spanish trail and some ruins in New Mexico I saw this and it really stood out to me. As TNET is the only real social media that I am somewhat active in, I figured I would share with you folks. What are your thoughts? Is this a geoglyph? If it is do you know if it has been recognized/ published before now as I cant seem to find any other photos of it. And lastly, what do I do now if it is? Do I reach out to any societies or just share with you folks and keep my trap shut? As always, the people on this site are are a wealth of information and ideas to me, I appreciate anyone's input.

geoglyph_2.JPG

geoglyph_3.JPG

geoglyph.JPG

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
curious but unlikely. I assume the dark spots are junipers and sage?

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kinda caught my eye too. But I don't think it's anything. You'd know more if you were on the ground there to look it over. You sure you want to move 'Out West'? We're in a drought, we're on fire most of the time, we're constantly overrun by tourists who take and never replace, most everything is bought up and owned by millionaires we never see, and it costs an arm and a leg to live here. All that aside, come on out. I like to see people who have an interest in the history of the land move here.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
and a lot of it is BLM land anyway and you can't buy it! That and national forest.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
my suggestion is stay east of the Mississippi.... fire season is approaching fast over here and we haven't raked the forests yet, plus...we are out of water anyway!

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my suggestion is stay east of the Mississippi.... fire season is approaching fast over here and we haven't raked the forests yet, plus...we are out of water anyway!
I agree with uncle. It is horribly dry out west. Way too dangerous to go there.

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would rather be in New Mexico than anywhere east of the Mississippi.
California is the place to be. Everybody moving from there to Tennessee, you are making a mistake. Either stay in lovely California or go to New Mexico, which is lovely also.

dougachim

Jan 30, 2013
Las Cruces, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went to california 2 times in the 70's chasing girls and once in the 80's for a World of Concrete convention, that's enough for me. Chihuahua without the cartels would be the best, New Mexico second, a few ranches around Ft Davis/Valentine Texas are bad ass.

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went to california 2 times in the 70's chasing girls and once in the 80's for a World of Concrete convention, that's enough for me. Chihuahua without the cartels would be the best, New Mexico second, a few ranches around Ft Davis/Valentine Texas are bad ass.
Yes, I agree. If folks do not like California New Mexico is a good option. Great place. Tennessee is a horrible place with bugs, ticks, timber rattlesnakes, poison ivy and such. I would stay away from Tennessee. The people there are very unfriendly too.

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the Great Basin is awesome, but like I said... all BLM, nearly
Yes but still lots of room there. Beautiful state, skies are sunny all day, the people are all friendly, prices are cheap. Much better place than Tennessee. And not nearly as long a drive from California.

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry your thread got highjacked, OP. Your post is appreciated but in my humble opinion what you posted is just a natural occurrence. Keep looking though. You will finally be rewarded.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
on a side note.... those junipers in the posting could be around 300 years old or so. In the desert, they grow slow and get burnt out every so often.

OP
OP
aaronsm321

aaronsm321

Sep 19, 2018
OHIO
Detector(s) used
GARRETT AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kinda caught my eye too. But I don't think it's anything. You'd know more if you were on the ground there to look it over. You sure you want to move 'Out West'? We're in a drought, we're on fire most of the time, we're constantly overrun by tourists who take and never replace, most everything is bought up and owned by millionaires we never see, and it costs an arm and a leg to live here. All that aside, come on out. I like to see people who have an interest in the history of the land move here.
I live in Ohio (in Amish country) where it is all private land. All of the city folks have bought up any land cheap where I grew up. 4+ years ago you could buy at 4-5K per acre, now it is 20k per acre. I have flipped 2 houses here and still cannot afford a primary residence. Even swamp land near me is purchased at around 10-15K. If it isn't a city type purchasing the land, then it is the Amish. They don't use our banks and all self finance through their churches. I have found out recently that they are obtaining multi generational loans in order to afford what is left here. Originally I was looking at Idaho/Montana, but it sounds like the far lefts from California ruined the markets there. In regards to the western drought, I really enjoy being able to see the dirt and rocks. And all of the public land seems far more ideal than me begging here for permission to hunt, or dredge, or look for mushrooms, etc. All of my free time is spent outdoors and all of my interests lie in geology and archeology. Ohio rains to the point where I sold my Harley last year because there was not a day that went by in the 4 warm months we get that I didn't get rained on.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread