traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in Ohio (in Amish country) where it is all private land. All of the city folks have bought up any land cheap where I grew up. 4+ years ago you could buy at 4-5K per acre, now it is 20k per acre. I have flipped 2 houses here and still cannot afford a primary residence. Even swamp land near me is purchased at around 10-15K. If it isn't a city type purchasing the land, then it is the Amish. They don't use our banks and all self finance through their churches. I have found out recently that they are obtaining multi generational loans in order to afford what is left here. Originally I was looking at Idaho/Montana, but it sounds like the far lefts from California ruined the markets there. In regards to the western drought, I really enjoy being able to see the dirt and rocks. And all of the public land seems far more ideal than me begging here for permission to hunt, or dredge, or look for mushrooms, etc. All of my free time is spent outdoors and all of my interests lie in geology and archeology. Ohio rains to the point where I sold my Harley last year because there was not a day that went by in the 4 warm months we get that I didn't get rained on.
Sounds like New Mexico would be perfect for you.

3cylbill

Jul 2, 2015
s.tier NY
Detector(s) used
TESORO, MINELAB, WHITES , GARRETT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Take it all with a grain of salt and always trust YOUR gut....

dougachim

Jan 30, 2013
Las Cruces, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• HPIM2322.JPG
    HPIM2322.JPG
    899.1 KB · Views: 21
  • IMGP9332.JPG
    IMGP9332.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0277.JPG
    IMG_0277.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0480.JPG
    IMG_0480.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 20

Coonhound

Jul 13, 2020
Northern New Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I moved to New Mexico about 12 years ago from southern California. I actually live along the Old Spanish Trail where it left Abiquiu, in northern NM and headed west. There are a few markers in this area describing it but I'm sure you've done your research. I also volunteer with the National Forest here as a site steward and I have visited many archaeological sites. But I have never seen or heard of a geoglyph as you were asking about. That's not to say it doesn't exist. By the way, I love living here. It takes a little getting used to but I can't imagine living anywhere else now.

Coonhound

Jul 13, 2020
Northern New Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is this a Google Earth image? And is it somewhere near the Old Spanish Trail. If it's in my area (Abiquiu, NM) maybe I could check it out in person. The dark grey soil surrounding it may indicate that the area has been disturbed at some point in time. I have seen similar effects in Archaeological sites.

OP
OP
aaronsm321

aaronsm321

Sep 19, 2018
OHIO
Detector(s) used
GARRETT AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is this a Google Earth image? And is it somewhere near the Old Spanish Trail. If it's in my area (Abiquiu, NM) maybe I could check it out in person. The dark grey soil surrounding it may indicate that the area has been disturbed at some point in time. I have seen similar effects in Archaeological sites.
It is from google earth. I think it might be volcanic, the geology of the region calls it a basalt uplift. Its about 100 miles south of Abiquiu. Maybe 30 miles or so south of Albuquerque. I think it is similar stone to the Malpais region but looks to be far older geologically from the satellite image.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread