NEW MEXICO! One Up on Florida in the Sunshine!!!

Texas Kid

Jun 4, 2013
Texas
Detector(s) used
gazrret & bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well I found this little jewel in the desert of the Eastern Highlands of New Mexico with my ol' trusty Bounty Hunter. Found it about 6 inches deep, where an old rock house once stood. It was in pretty rough shape when I first unearthed it This is a picture of it after a good cleanup with a glass bead blaster. Looks like a 1932 New Mexico Trailer Tag. Still with us here after 82 long years!! The note was that the motto for New Mexico was the SUNSHINE STATE several years before Florida decided that wasn't right! That might be an interesting story in itself!!LOL!! After a little research I found that the color scheme was white letters and an evergreen background. I think I will attempt to restore it! What ya think?

Just thought I would post this little dude in the NM Sub forum to see if there were any ol' NM car nuts that just cant live without this little cream puff! Heads up ! It's a Trailer Tag!! That might be bad for your hot rod. But I'll bet it fits real snug in the rarity class!! I hear tell it's the only year that NEW Mexico used this motto on their plates! Rare!! Right? I also heard it was the last plate by privateers before sending the job to the state pen!! Rare?? .........Then take a look at that tag number!! 111 between two (not one,but two) Navajo Sun Burst!!!
How dang New Mexican can you get??? How proud can you be by beating Florida to the Punch with something as important as a state Motto!!

PS . I might even entertain an offer from a real serious "LAND OF ENCHANTMENT" Cowgirl!!! LOL!! I know they make 'em pretty over there!!:icon_thumright:
New Mex 001.JPG New Mex 002.JPG

Goose-0

Dec 25, 2006
Central Minnnesota
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & VX3
T K, the way you described that item was great. Did you ever think of going into the advertising business? You'd do well.

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
There was a move to add USA to NM plates a few years ago. Possibly because so often when saying I;m from NM I'll get asked odd things like how long I've lived out of the country and other weird stuff like "we don't ship outside the USA". Well, I found a license plate from 1971 and they had USA on it then so I don't know when they dropped it but it's back now.
I also found a Wyoming plate at a store that said Prison Made. Kinda cool.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread