pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Minelab doesn't ship a box at a time, they ship hundreds of units of new detectors as well as other models at a time as well as parts, and accessories, a lot more than 2400 pounds at a time.

I am just explaining how it works or did when I worked for Minelab, I no longer work for ML, but I do know how their production line worked when I worked for ML and that included multiple rollouts of new detector models.
My point was that if Linseed can be shipped via air, so can 4x4x4 skids of Minelab detectors.
I get the slow boat little money supply chain.
What matters is getting machines into the paws of operators.
But that's not how they roll.
Dribble them out,let the influencers do their magic wand tests.
Then and only then the general public will have a chance.

OP
OP
Treasure_Hunter

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My point was that if Linseed can be shipped via air, so can 4x4x4 skids of Minelab detectors.
I get the slow boat little money supply chain.
What matters is getting machines into the paws of operators.
But that's not how they roll.
Dribble them out,let the influencers do their magic wand tests.
Then and only then the general public will have a chance.
I disagree.

pspr

May 24, 2012
Flower Mound, Texas
Detector(s) used
Manticore
Explorer XS
Primary Interest:
Other
I just ordered one from Cabela's. The order went through for free 2 day shipping. Are others finding Cabela's is actually shipping Manticores or is Cabela's canceling the orders in a day or so?
Thanks, FloridaSon.

Ed_DE

Feb 23, 2019
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just ordered one from Cabela's. The order went through for free 2 day shipping. Are others finding Cabela's is actually shipping Manticores or is Cabela's canceling the orders in a day or so?
Thanks, FloridaSon.
Got my Manticore from Cabela's this week. I had mine shipped to the Cabela's store & pick it up with no issues.

Earlafindit

Nov 19, 2009
Mid Atlantic Coast DE.
Detector(s) used
f75se,CTX3030, , Deus ,Excal blue 800 & 1000 , Manticore , TDI BeachHunter
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
1/11/2023 Received mine today 12pm , charging up the Manticore & Headphones , 1st impression , I like it , 1st hunt tomorrow , my Equinox 800 will get a break , happy Manticore hunting everyone , Earl

pspr

May 24, 2012
Flower Mound, Texas
Detector(s) used
Manticore
Explorer XS
Primary Interest:
Other
Cabela's marked my Manticore order as "shipped" this evening so maybe I really am going to get a Manticore Friday. There has been a big bold "out of stock" notice next to the item on my order description page but I'm hoping that isn't referring to my order. It's hard for me to believe one has actually shipped since I have been waiting 3 months without a word from the two dealers I have orders with. It's so stressful when Minelab doesn't provide hardly any info about the status of shipments.

pspr

May 24, 2012
Flower Mound, Texas
Detector(s) used
Manticore
Explorer XS
Primary Interest:
Other
I fired my dealer when the distributor told me there were several hundred orders ahead of me. So, the one I managed to snag on Cabela's website just arrived this morning. It's charging up right now. I still find it hard to believe that I was able to do that and basically jump to the front of the line.

Last edited:

YBLee

Oct 13, 2012
SE Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
2007 White’s DFX
I ordered on Dec 14, 2022 from KellyCo and was #177. As if 1/19/23 I’m now #85. Thinking mid Feb should do it.

metaldiggr

Feb 13, 2015
South Central Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let's call a spade a spade... this is a botch release. When you take thousands of pre-orders for a new model then surprise the market with 2 new model's that are on sale a couple weeks later while the pre-orders ferment, that's botched. ML didn't have any problems filling the shelves with 700 & 900's. After owning the M'core for a few weeks my guess is they're working on fixing issues, namely iron-falsing and the chatter.

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
metaldigger -- I am guessing you already understand most or all of what I'm going to say. IF anything here helps you, I'm glad. But, this is more geared to anyone newer to detecting, and new to the Manticore. With that said...

For anyone who may be getting excessive chatter on their Manticore, it is highly likely due to one of two issues...

1. IF THE CHATTER OCCURS WITH THE MACHINE/COIL HELD PERFECTLY STILL, then you have EMI issues going on; if the EMI can't be mitigated by a proper noise cancel procedure, then you are running your sensitivity too high for your EMI environment.

2. IF THE CHATTER OCCURS WHEN YOU SWEEP THE COIL OVER THE GROUND, you either have a ton of small bits of metal in the ground, including iron/rust that can "false," causing chatter, OR -- it is ground mineralization, and your ground balance setting is incorrect.

IF it is EMI, as mentioned in my first point, The way to fix that, is this...

Run sensitivity all the way down, and then bump it up one notch at a time until you barely start to hear chatter. THEN, do a LONG PRESS noise cancel, holding the coil completely still, 12 to 18" above the ground. DO NOT let go of the button, until your machine settles on a single noise-cancel channel (it usually will do so). NOW, the machine SHOULD be "quieter" than it was prior to the noice cancel procedure. At that point, bump up your sensitivity slowly, a notch at a time, until you just start to hear a bit of chatter, and then back it off one notch. At that point, you should be dealing with a machine that is right on the edge of "stability." If you like it a bit more stable, back it off ANOTHER notch or two.

As far as the "falsing" issues, most of us are aware from experience that ALL modern high-gain machines will "false" on iron, when run "hot," ESPECIALLY those with frequencies geared towards maximizing their detectability of high conductors (of which the Manticore is one, especially in "All-Terrain High Conductors" mode).

With that said, there are MANY ways to deal with/reduce falsing (adjust to a higher-frequency mode, increase recovery speed, ground balance properly, lower sensitivityetc.), but on the Manticore, the MOST CRITICAL adjustments to understand, in terms of iron/falsing, are your limits settings. Along these lines, what I am about to say is ABSOLUTELY IMPERATIVE to understand, and anyone who does not understand what I am about to say, needs to seek to come to understand this, or they will NEVER fully master the Manticore and wring all of the performance out of it that it is capable of...

Any piece of iron, of any kind whatsoever, can be made to report 100% non-ferrous audio, 100% of the time, simply by setting your limits in a certain way (that being, running both of them to zero).

Now, this is NOT something anyone would WANT to do (run the limits at zero). BUT -- it MUST be understood that you CAN do this, and WHY that is possible. Again, anyone who does not fully understand that sentence, and not only understand it, but understand WHY that is true, cannot fully "master" the Manticore.

Conversely, when one DOES understand -- i.e. entirely wrap one's brain around -- why that above, bolded sentence is true, THEN one can begin to understand how the Manticore deals with iron, and thus how to properly set one's limits, for a given site, on a given day, to minimize the amount of iron "falsing" that occurs. Can ALL falsing be eliminated? NO -- no high-end machine is capable of that, and frankly, I wouldn't WANT a machine that "does not false," (at least, using today's available technology) as it would be a TERRIBLE machine with respect to locating "good" targets that are intermingled/co-located with iron targets. BUT -- one can CERTAINLY minimize falsing, if that is one's desire. Again, LIMITS SETTINGS are a big part of this, but other settings (as mentioned -- frequency/mode, ground balance, target recovery speed, sensitivity) can also help to minimize falsing.

IF anyone may not entirely understand my bolded sentence, above, but WANTS to, I'm happy to do my best to help. Just ask a specific question as to what you don't understand, and I'll try my best to explain...

In closing, I just want to reiterate that no offense is intended to you, metaldigger, since this was likely not very helpful to you, given that you are likely quite experienced and thus already know this. But, hopefully it helps a few folks who are newer to the hobby, or newer to the machine (or to Minelab machines in general).

Steve

Last edited:
OP
OP
Treasure_Hunter

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metaldigger -- I am guessing you already understand most or all of what I'm going to say. IF anything here helps you, I'm glad. But, this is more geared to anyone newer to detecting, and new to the Manticore. With that said...

For anyone who may be getting excessive chatter on their Manticore, it is highly likely due to one of two issues...

1. IF THE CHATTER OCCURS WITH THE MACHINE/COIL HELD PERFECTLY STILL, then you have EMI issues going on; if the EMI can't be mitigated by a proper noise cancel procedure, then you are running your sensitivity too high for your EMI environment.

2. IF THE CHATTER OCCURS WHEN YOU SWEEP THE COIL OVER THE GROUND, you either have a ton of small bits of metal in the ground, including iron/rust that can "false," causing chatter, OR -- it is ground mineralization, and your ground balance setting is incorrect.

IF it is EMI, as mentioned in my first point, The way to fix that, is this...

Run sensitivity all the way down, and then bump it up one notch at a time until you barely start to hear chatter. THEN, do a LONG PRESS noise cancel, holding the coil completely still, 12 to 18" above the ground. DO NOT let go of the button, until your machine settles on a single noise-cancel channel (it usually will do so). NOW, the machine SHOULD be "quieter" than it was prior to the noice cancel procedure. At that point, bump up your sensitivity slowly, a notch at a time, until you just start to hear a bit of chatter, and then back it off one notch. At that point, you should be dealing with a machine that is right on the edge of "stability." If you like it a bit more stable, back it off ANOTHER notch or two.

As far as the "falsing" issues, most of us are aware from experience that ALL modern high-gain machines will "false" on iron, when run "hot," ESPECIALLY those with frequencies geared towards maximizing their detectability of high conductors (of which the Manticore is one, especially in "All-Terrain High Conductors" mode).

With that said, there are MANY ways to deal with/reduce falsing (adjust to a higher-frequency mode, increase recovery speed, ground balance properly, lower sensitivityetc.), but on the Manticore, the MOST CRITICAL adjustments to understand, in terms of iron/falsing, are your limits settings. Along these lines, what I am about to say is ABSOLUTELY IMPERATIVE to understand, and anyone who does not understand what I am about to say, needs to seek to come to understand this, or they will NEVER fully master the Manticore and wring all of the performance out of it that it is capble of...

Any piece of iron, of any kind whatsoever, can be made to report 100% non-ferrous audio, 100% of the time, simply by setting your limits in a certain way (that being, running both of them to zero).

Now, this is NOT something anyone would WANT to do (run the limits at zero). BUT -- it MUST be understood that you CAN do this, and WHY that is possible. Again, anyone who does not fully understand that sentence, and not only understand it, but understand WHY that is true, cannot fully "master" the Manticore.

Conversely, when one DOES understand -- i.e. entirely wrap one's brain around -- why that above, bolded sentence is true, THEN one can begin to understand how the Manticore deals with iron, and thus how to properly set one's limits, for a given site, on a given day, to minimize the amount of iron "falsing" that occurs. Can ALL falsing be eliminated? NO -- no high-end machine is capable of that, and frankly, I wouldn't WANT a machine that "does not false," (at least, using today's available technology) as it would be a TERRIBLE machine with respect to locating "good" targets that are intermingled/co-located with iron targets. BUT -- one can CERTAINLY minimize falsing, if that is one's desire. Again, LIMITS SETTINGS are a big part of this, but other settings (as mentioned -- frequency/mode, ground balance, target recovery speed, sensitivity) can also help to minimize falsing.

IF anyone may not entirely understand my bolded sentence, above, but WANTS to, I'm happy to do my best to help. Just ask a specific question as to what you don't understand, and I'll try my best to explain...

In closing, I just want to reiterate that no offense is intended to you, metaldigger, since this was likely not very helpful to you, given that you are likely quite experienced and thus already know this. But, hopefully it helps a few folks who are newer to the hobby, or newer to the machine (or to Minelab machines in general).

Steve
Very good post. đź‘Ť

pspr

May 24, 2012
Flower Mound, Texas
Detector(s) used
Manticore
Explorer XS
Primary Interest:
Other
=Let's call a spade a spade... this is a botch release.
Steve has the answer. What seems to be going on is that Minelab shipped a bunch of Manticores that arrived in the U.S. on Dec. 20th. Rather than just release them all at once to fill backorders they, for whatever reason, decided to release them a few at a time. We've seen this dribble of manticores filling some orders over the last month. They also seem to be releasing them to larger dealers and box stores in larger quantities. Smaller dealers are not seeing many.

To date, no more detector shipments have reached the U.S. from Minelab since December. I was able to snag a Manti early one morning when a small shipment just happened to arrive at Cabela's. Cabela's doesn't seem to be allowing backorders but instead allows them to go to the first orders that arrive when they get a few in. In fact, you can't place an order with Cabela's unless they have stock which only lasts for a few hours at most.

I don't agree with how Minelab is handling this Manti release nor how they pushed the Equinox 700 and 900 before they had a single Manticore to deliver. But it is what it is.

Robin (MI)

Jan 28, 2023
Detector(s) used
Modified Explorer II
Manticore
I found one at a local Detector Shop! Last one without a name on it. Took it out once before the snow and cold weather hit. Impressed so far but... I'm having trouble charging mine. When I turned it on the first time it showed 3/4 on the battery indicator. I hunted for three hours and the indicator dropped to 1/4. Charged the unit 5 hours that evening and it came up to 3/4 charged. The next day I put it back on the charger for 10 hours. It never finished charging - green light still blinking and battery indicator shows slightly over 3/4 charged. Anyone else have this trouble? Can I overcharge the battery?

2-5-2023 Edited Post:
I did get a faulty unit. The more I tried to charge it, the worse it took. I was beginning to wonder.

A Super Big Thank You to Minelab! Less than two weeks since I bought it and now I have a new replacement Manticore! Not a cent spent on shipping. The new unit fully charged in about 4-5 hours. I could not ask for better service than I received from Minelab Repair and Minelab Americas!!!! On to find treasure.

Last edited:

Ed_DE

Feb 23, 2019
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found one at a local Detector Shop! Last one without a name on it. Took it out once before the snow and cold weather hit. Impressed so far but... I'm having trouble charging mine. When I turned it on the first time it showed 3/4 on the battery indicator. I hunted for three hours and the indicator dropped to 1/4. Charged the unit 5 hours that evening and it came up to 3/4 charged. The next day I put it back on the charger for 10 hours. It never finished charging - green light still blinking and battery indicator shows slightly over 3/4 charged. Anyone else have this trouble? Can I overcharge the battery?
I have no problem charging my Manticore. Are you using the correct charger. You can find charging instructions on page 13 of manual.

Attachments

• IMG_1582.jpeg
    IMG_1582.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 34
  • IMG_1583.jpeg
    IMG_1583.jpeg
    361 KB · Views: 31

Robin (MI)

Jan 28, 2023
Detector(s) used
Modified Explorer II
Manticore
I have no problem charging my Manticore. Are you using the correct charger. You can find charging instructions on page 13 of manual.
Thanks Hoagie. I'm using the one Minelab sells, that I bought for my Nox. It worked great on the Manticore Headphones and the Nox. MINELAB #3011-0374 UNIVERSAL AC 4 – WAY CHARGER

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, 8 x11" and Nel Storm coils
Garrett Propointer er, Pro Pointer AT
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Whites MX Sport With Detec
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I ordered mine from Inland Empire detectors in Oct paid it in full. Was surprised to see it can in the first week of January. You never know, but I'm glad

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Rolling Rock, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My goodness it’s almost March 2023, and they still are back ordered that’s not good business, it better live up to its hype, oh minelab has just admitted the falsing and or separation iron this week.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread