New Outlaw heading my way

texasgold

Jun 5, 2011
Texas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw 3 coil package and clean sweep
I originally was looking at a Tejon or even a Compadre but I just ordered an Outlaw instead. I had some issues with the retune button and exactly how it works but am willing to give it another go and be patient with it. It was so hard to pass up too compared to the other Tesoros as it comes with the three coils! I also have had my sights set on a clean sweep coil for sometime now and also have one of those coming my way so it will be a 4 coil package deal. I will only be after coins and jewelry depending on locations I hunt. I image the cleansweep will see a lot of use followed by the 8" donut then the 5.75 for super trashed areas. I just don't see the large 10/12 spoked coil getting much if any use at this time. Any advice, tips tricks or retune button tutorials on the Outlaw are welcome; lord knows I could use the advice! :hello:

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You're going to really love the Outlaw. Whatever you do, don't touch the little red button. I'm just kidding, once you get it figured out, it's nothing to it.

Just throw out a coin on the ground and practice using different settings and functions. That's the best way to learn a detector.

The Outlaw has one quirk. The all metal auto (re-tune) mode also will also re-tune the discriminate mode. If you pinpoint a coin that's two inches from the search coil using the auto all metal mode and immediately start searching in the discriminate mode you'll only be able to detect a coin that's two inches from the coil.

If you find that you have to use the all metal mode to pinpoint a target, just make sure that you raise the coil a couple of feet off the ground, push the little red button all the way in and release or flip from the discriminate mode to the auto all metal and back again while the coil is two feet off the ground before you start detecting again in the discriminate mode.

I pinpoint in the discriminate mode and I have no problem at all getting the coin in the cross hairs. To me it's faster and easier than using the all metal pinpoint mode.

Just keep in mind that the Outlaw will be in the re-tune mode when you first turn it on. Either ground balance or raised the coil off the ground and flip from the discriminate mode to the auto all metal mode and back to the discriminate mode before you start detecting.

tabman

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on the new machine. I sold my Outlaw after having similar experience you had. I recently bought a Bandido uMax and it makes more sense this go around. Maybe the difference is a toggle switch vs a button. I do kind of like the zero motion AM mode for pinpointing. But like Tabman mentioned you really don't need pinpoint most of the time.

Hobojo

Dec 9, 2013
South Orange County CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Vaquero, Outlaw ,Cibola, Sand Shark,
Minelab Xterra 705, Minelab Safari.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Outlaw has been my main md for almost a year and a half. I love it for coins and small silver at my local parks. PM me if you need any help or have questions. The Outlaw will find it as long as you remember its not a DEPTH bomb. Get some Killer Bees a good digger and have fun digging all the coins you want. This MD's DISC is so good you can knock out everything but quarters. Just remember using DISC is like eating lots of bacon wrapped doughnuts, not that good for you, but man its so good. And its true what they say about the Red Button , it will open a space warp.

OP
OP
texasgold

texasgold

Jun 5, 2011
Texas
Detector(s) used
Thanks for the tips and inspiration about the Outlaw! I'm hoping to find some time Monday to hit a site or two if it shows up on Saturday as expected, crossing my fingers anyway. Hobojo, what do you mean by the red button exactly? Also, found an older Tnet post regarding use of the button that seemed helpful if it's good information to begin with. If y'all don't mind reading it then would you take a look please? Here it is: http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/tesoro/438891-outlaw-retune-button.html

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Basically if you are hunting in disc mode and press it all the way I you will be in PP/ AM mode just like a Vaquero, Cibola or Tejon. The all have a fast retune AM pinpoint mode.

Hobojo

Dec 9, 2013
South Orange County CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Vaquero, Outlaw ,Cibola, Sand Shark,
Minelab Xterra 705, Minelab Safari.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the tips and inspiration about the Outlaw! I'm hoping to find some time Monday to hit a site or two if it shows up on Saturday as expected, crossing my fingers anyway. Hobojo, what do you mean by the red button exactly? Also, found an older Tnet post regarding use of the button that seemed helpful if it's good information to begin with. If y'all don't mind reading it then would you take a look please? Here it is: http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/tesoro/438891-outlaw-retune-button.html

Once you get your new machine the post will make more sense. The red button is the " retune "/ "pin-point " button. I mainly use it AFTER moving the mode switch to auto, then back to NO motion for pin-pointing , then back to DISC before digging target other wise the MD will start sounding off as if the Thershold is maxed out. You should also always turn you machine on with the switch in AUTO. Theres a couple of maintance tips that should be imployed to keep dirt out of the switches and once done you will be good to go. The Outlaw really is a good machine, I had my Vaq out today and I just can't come to grips with its audio. The Outlaw has such a sweet tone.
Good luck.

OP
OP
texasgold

texasgold

Jun 5, 2011
Texas
Detector(s) used
Thanks for the tips and looks like I'll just have to get my hands on one again to play with it. Button part way in is no motion all metal pin pointing and all the way in is retune?

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the tips and looks like I'll just have to get my hands on one again to play with it. Button part way in is no motion all metal pin pointing and all the way in is retune?

Right. Just don't forget to raise the coil and retune, before starting to detect again in the discriminate mode.

tabman

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread