🥇 BANNER New Random Field - Day 4 - Hammered + ROMAN GOLD COIN (Wish List No.3)...

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We returned close to where we had marked off & I made a judgement call on the area Cru'dad could grid in a day (enough to finish up against our previous grid), so that I could grid right at my pace & Cru'dad could grid left at his slower pace. Saves me having to turn at the end of runs & finish his grid. (wastes time going back to the start, especially on large area grids)
As luck would have it the Roman Gold was half way on my 2nd run! It's pretty heavy clay & I picked up the lump with it in & saw the rim of a gold coin. Immediately thought Gold Coin but before giving it more thought, I cracked open the lump to see a bust I immediately recognised as either Magnetius/Decentius. I think there was then a lot of '''I've done it''. I turned around to Cru'dad & shouted ''Gold'', of course Roman Gold is furthest from our minds, but then I added ''Roman Gold'' & took it to him before taking off the reverse side of the lump, so we could see it together. We found no other signs of Roman activity & our best guess is they came off the nearby main road & rested on this hillock. This actually fitted my previous prediction that we won't find one on one of a 50 Roman Sites but on one of our ''Random Fields'' (ie. not a site, with no intel) with nothing else on it. (which funny enough is what I called this field in my posts!)
It's taken us 16,569 Roman Bronze Coins & 370 Roman Silver to get this 1 & to be honest I wasn't sure we ever would. (35 years of effort)The timing is perfect as they are trying to amend the Treasure Act to include single Gold Coins of this period, but the amendment has been held up by COVID.:icon_thumright: Otherwise I would hand it in & a local Museum would probably buy it. We phoned the landowner immediately & he saw the coin & the find-spot. (We will give him half the value to keep it)
No Silver before lunch but I then went on to get all the silver for the day, Cru'dad just getting some odds & ends...

5 Hours Gridding;

18th Light Dragoon's Officer Button (late 18th C) - First for me.
2 Unknown Pewter Buttons
Tudor Strap-end
2 small Leather Mounts - Kings Head & a 17th C type
Larger Horse Harness Mount - 18th-19th C
3 17th C Buckles
1944 Sixpence
1891 Shilling
1582 Lizzy Sixpence
(Funny thing was, we got no hammered in the big grid but as soon as I started heading off the the car I got it!)
1804 John Death London Silver Spoon
Gold Solidus of Mag. AD350-51 Trier Mint:headbang: (The condition is amazing)

Hard call but I think this beats our best day of 3 Celtic Gold (I had 2, Cru'dad 1) earlier this year.

10.JPG
1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG
5.JPG
6.JPG
7.JPG
8.JPG
9.JPG
10.JPG

Update

UPDATE:
Sorry can't add to top post anymore, here is an XRF of the coin.
My mate who did this for me stated the actual smelt metal would be a higher %age of gold because the surface is contaminated by the ground.
View attachment 2028961

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 112

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
THAT'S HUGE! WTG CRU!
What a great looking gold coin, beautiful flat flan.
BANNER!
Now to go back and look at the backseat recoveries.

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW Cru!!!! A spectacular find to be sure:headbang: Like Gunsil I can't find the dang Banner vote either:BangHead:

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW Cru!!!! A spectacular find to be sure:headbang: Like Gunsil I can't find the dang Banner vote either:BangHead:
They will accept a 'like' of the first post but there is a medal symbol (banner) if you hoover, third one in.

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats Cruz... that thing is killer... man o man that's a coin... well done.

Bet you are smiling.
Yeap, already stated to Cru'dad it's the year of the Gold Coins (5 Celtic already & now this). Are we now going to nose-dive after Harvest or......

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You finally did it! Big congrats to you! The holy grail of roman coins...
And exactly where to expect. I never have seen a gold coin coming from other than a random field...
Now i have to go back and look at it again. Asking myself why it wasn't lost closer to it's mint...

Florida Finder

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2020
Southern States of America
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
We returned close to where we had marked off & I made a judgement call on the area Cru'dad could grid in a day (enough to finish up against our previous grid), so that I could grid right at my pace & Cru'dad could grid left at his slower pace. Saves me have to turn at the end of runs & finish his grid. (wastes time going back to the start, especially on large area grids)
As luck would have it the Roman Gold was half way on my 2nd run! It's pretty heavy clay & I picked up the lump with it in & saw the rim of a gold coin. Immediately thought Gold Coin but before giving it more thought, I cracked open the lump to see a bust I immediately recognised as either Magnetius/Decentius. I think there was then a lot of '''I've done it''. I turned around to Cru'dad & shouted ''Gold'', of course Roman Gold is furthest from our minds, but then I added ''Roman Gold'' & took it to him before taking off the reverse side of the lump, so we could see it together. We found no other signs of Roman activity & our best guess is they came off the nearby main road & rested on this hillock. This actually fitted my previous prediction that we won't find one on one of a 50 Roman Sites but on a ''Random Field'' (ie. not a site, with no intel) with nothing else on it. (which funny enough is what I called this field in my posts!)
It's taken us 16,569 Roman Bronze Coins & 370 Roman Silver to get this 1 & to be honest I wasn't sure we ever would. (35 years of effort)The timing is perfect as they are trying to amend the Treasure Act to include single Gold Coins of this period, but the amendment has been held up by COVID.:icon_thumright: Otherwise I would hand it in & a local Museum would probably buy it. We phoned the landowner immediately & he saw the coin & the find-spot. (We will give him half the value to keep it)
No Silver before lunch but I then went on to get all the silver for the day, Cru'dad just getting some odds & ends...

5 Hours Gridding;

2 Unknown Pewter Buttons
Tudor Strap-end
3 17th C Buckles
1944 Sixpence
1891 Shilling
1582 Lizzy Sixpence
(Funny thing was, we got no hammered in the big grid but as soon as I started heading off the the car I got it!)
Gold Solidus of Mag. AD250-51 Trier Mint:headbang: (The condition is amazing)

Hard call but I think this beats our best day of 3 Celtic Gold (I had 2, Cru'dad 1) earlier this year.

View attachment 2024455 View attachment 2024456 View attachment 2024457 View attachment 2024458 View attachment 2024459 View attachment 2024460 View attachment 2024461 View attachment 2024462
Awesome hunt my friend! I bet your hands hurt from pulling out all those relics! Congratulations

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You finally did it! Big congrats to you! The holy grail of roman coins...
And exactly where to expect. I never have seen a gold coin coming from other than a random field...
Now i have to go back and look at it again. Asking myself why it wasn't lost closer to it's mint...
Yeap, funny one to get. A usurper who lasted 3 years!

Coinstar magnet

Silver Member
Apr 5, 2020
Beverly Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We returned close to where we had marked off & I made a judgement call on the area Cru'dad could grid in a day (enough to finish up against our previous grid), so that I could grid right at my pace & Cru'dad could grid left at his slower pace. Saves me have to turn at the end of runs & finish his grid. (wastes time going back to the start, especially on large area grids)
As luck would have it the Roman Gold was half way on my 2nd run! It's pretty heavy clay & I picked up the lump with it in & saw the rim of a gold coin. Immediately thought Gold Coin but before giving it more thought, I cracked open the lump to see a bust I immediately recognised as either Magnetius/Decentius. I think there was then a lot of '''I've done it''. I turned around to Cru'dad & shouted ''Gold'', of course Roman Gold is furthest from our minds, but then I added ''Roman Gold'' & took it to him before taking off the reverse side of the lump, so we could see it together. We found no other signs of Roman activity & our best guess is they came off the nearby main road & rested on this hillock. This actually fitted my previous prediction that we won't find one on one of a 50 Roman Sites but on a ''Random Field'' (ie. not a site, with no intel) with nothing else on it. (which funny enough is what I called this field in my posts!)

5 Hours Gridding;

2 Unknown Pewter Buttons
Tudor Strap-end
3 17th C Buckles
1944 Sixpence
1891 Shilling
1582 Lizzy Sixpence
Gold Solidus of Mag. AD250-51 Trier Mint:headbang: (The condition is amazing)

View attachment 2024455 View attachment 2024456 View attachment 2024457 View attachment 2024458 View attachment 2024459 View attachment 2024460 View attachment 2024461 View attachment 2024462 View attachment 2024463 View attachment 2024464 View attachment 2024465
Ummm....banner.... I'm nearly speechless....👍👍👍

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread