Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sinking[edit]​

After the United States entered World War II in December 1941, West Lashaway continued to operate in the Africa trade. On the night of 30 August 1942, while returning to the United States from Matadi, Congo with nine civilian passengers and a cargo of 7,670 tons of tin, copper, cocoa beans and palm oil, West Lashaway was struck on the starboard side at around 2:30 pm by two torpedoes fired from U-66. The ship sank very quickly—in two minutes or less—and consequently there was no time to launch any lifeboats. Fortunately, the vessel was also equipped with a number of prepared wooden rafts which floated free when the ship went down, allowing the survivors to board them.[15][16]

Survivors' ordeal[edit]​

Shortly after the sinking, U-66 surfaced and briefly opened fire with small arms, but soon departed, leaving a total of 42 survivors on four rafts from the ship's original complement of 56. The rafts stayed together for the first few days, but then two became separated and were never seen again. The remaining two, which had been lashed together, later decided to separate in hopes of increasing their chances of being found. One of these rafts contained 19 people, including the ship's captain, 11 crew, two armed guards, and five of the ship's original nine passengers including a missionary's wife, Mrs Bell, and her two children aged 13 and 11, and two children from another family. The captain and one of the armed guards died within the first few days, leaving a total of seventeen.[15][16]

The occupants of this raft initially assumed they would be rescued quickly, but two weeks went by until even with strict rationing they were running low on food and water.[15][17] They were eventually sighted by aircraft and some supplies dropped. After nineteen days on the open sea, they were rescued by the destroyer HMS Vimy (D33), but not before the rescuers had fired 16 rounds at the raft in the mistaken impression it was a German submarine. After transfer to the Dutch merchant steamship Prins William Van Oranje, the survivors were landed at Barbados.[15][17] One of the children, Robert Bell, would later write a book, In Peril on the Sea: A Personal Remembrance, about the ordeal.

25 days after the sinking of West Lashaway, the raft which had been cut loose washed up on the island of St. Vincent, with the body of Gunner's Mate 3/C Dalton Munn, and the sole survivor of this group, boatswain Elliott Gurnee.[15][17]

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
General characteristics
NameSS West Lashaway
Operator
BuilderSkinner & Eddy
Laid down8 Jul 1918
Launched12 Sep 1918
Completed30 Sep 1918
Commissioned30 Sep 18–12 Apr 19
In service30 Sep 18–30 Aug 42
Stricken12 Apr 1919
FateTorpedoed by U-66, 30 August 1942
TypeDesign 1013 cargo ship
Tonnage5,600 gross, 8,800 dwt
Displacement11,390 tons
Length
  • 423 ft 9 in (129.16 m)
  • 410 ft 5 in (125.10 m) bp
Beam54 ft (16 m)
Draft24 ft 2 in (7.37 m)
Depth of hold29 ft 9 in (9.07 m)
Installed power1 Ă— steam turbine
PropulsionSingle screw
Speed11.5 kn (21.3 km/h)
Complement
  • World War I (USN): 70
  • Peacetime: about 40
  • World War II: 47 (38 crew, 9 gunners)
Armament
  • World War I: none
  • World War II: n/a

Magoopeter

Jan 21, 2016
Detector(s) used
underwater
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Sorry about that, I will post images later on. It's not been made public at this time. But it's an interesting discovery and the back story is very good. By the way, I discovered the Japanese submarine I

Sinking[edit]​

After the United States entered World War II in December 1941, West Lashaway continued to operate in the Africa trade. On the night of 30 August 1942, while returning to the United States from Matadi, Congo with nine civilian passengers and a cargo of 7,670 tons of tin, copper, cocoa beans and palm oil, West Lashaway was struck on the starboard side at around 2:30 pm by two torpedoes fired from U-66. The ship sank very quickly—in two minutes or less—and consequently there was no time to launch any lifeboats. Fortunately, the vessel was also equipped with a number of prepared wooden rafts which floated free when the ship went down, allowing the survivors to board them.[15][16]

Survivors' ordeal[edit]​

Shortly after the sinking, U-66 surfaced and briefly opened fire with small arms, but soon departed, leaving a total of 42 survivors on four rafts from the ship's original complement of 56. The rafts stayed together for the first few days, but then two became separated and were never seen again. The remaining two, which had been lashed together, later decided to separate in hopes of increasing their chances of being found. One of these rafts contained 19 people, including the ship's captain, 11 crew, two armed guards, and five of the ship's original nine passengers including a missionary's wife, Mrs Bell, and her two children aged 13 and 11, and two children from another family. The captain and one of the armed guards died within the first few days, leaving a total of seventeen.[15][16]

The occupants of this raft initially assumed they would be rescued quickly, but two weeks went by until even with strict rationing they were running low on food and water.[15][17] They were eventually sighted by aircraft and some supplies dropped. After nineteen days on the open sea, they were rescued by the destroyer HMS Vimy (D33), but not before the rescuers had fired 16 rounds at the raft in the mistaken impression it was a German submarine. After transfer to the Dutch merchant steamship Prins William Van Oranje, the survivors were landed at Barbados.[15][17] One of the children, Robert Bell, would later write a book, In Peril on the Sea: A Personal Remembrance, about the ordeal.

25 days after the sinking of West Lashaway, the raft which had been cut loose washed up on the island of St. Vincent, with the body of Gunner's Mate 3/C Dalton Munn, and the sole survivor of this group, boatswain Elliott Gurnee.[15][17]

The SS West Lashaway has been discovered.
Deep found, two year ago, been picking at it think the silver is gone and it might not be economical to salvage the tin or copper?

Magoopeter

Jan 21, 2016
Detector(s) used
underwater
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Skimmed through this, the gold reserves in the Congo were removed in 1940 and taken to London. What German forces were invading the Congo, the Congo remined neutral during WWII.

A gold bar is a standard weight, 35lbs a bar is too heavy? Two thousand bars at 35lbs that is 43 US tons, that about 10 years gold production in the Congo in the 1940,s.

By February 1942 the Allies had put in place an aviation system to transport gold and diamonds out of the Congo, all routed via Cairo. One crashed, if you interested. I haven’t read all of your PDF but will do, thanks for posting this it is interesting.

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The gold wasnt stored in the captains cabin.Someone i know did the extensive research on this wreck and even talked to the survivors and their families.

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
There may finally be some resolution to many questions. I researched the WL for years. I saw the officer video who was in charge of loading the gold. The gold was DeGaulle's for the Free French. The officer seemed to think he loaded it in the captain's office, not his living quarters. The flooring had to be shored up. I spoke with Robert Bell (survivor) and his family, also. Problem is, the torpedo exploded near the latex storage and caused an even larger explosion amidships...which would have sent the officer's area in a multitude of directions. The ship was thought by survivors (floating nearby) to have separated in the explosion. If this is accurate, the ship had 3 miles down to sink, and the gold could have scattered over a very large area. I hope my conclusions are wrong, and there is success in finding the gold.

Magoopeter

Jan 21, 2016
Detector(s) used
underwater
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
There may finally be some resolution to many questions. I researched the WL for years. I saw the officer video who was in charge of loading the gold. The gold was DeGaulle's for the Free French. The officer seemed to think he loaded it in the captain's office, not his living quarters. The flooring had to be shored up. I spoke with Robert Bell (survivor) and his family, also. Problem is, the torpedo exploded near the latex storage and caused an even larger explosion amidships...which would have sent the officer's area in a multitude of directions. The ship was thought by survivors (floating nearby) to have separated in the explosion. If this is accurate, the ship had 3 miles down to sink, and the gold could have scattered over a very large area. I hope my conclusions are wrong, and there is success in finding the gold.
Ill ask for more details , but I am sure the guy I talked to said it was silver and it was taken of but maybe he never knew of the gold as it was secret Gold?

Magoopeter

Jan 21, 2016
Detector(s) used
underwater
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Well, anyone that has worked on a ship that size knows all the crew never sleeps ,at the same time, the Captain’s cabin would be also his office, so secret gold, I think a stack of boxes in any one’s cabin would be a topic for discussion amongst the crew. How ever I have seen small bullion rooms in those offices.

The trusted office had to be the Engineering officer, otherwise he too would wonder about the boxes stashed in his cabin, also if he was not in on it how would you get all those boxes into some one’s cabin who was sleeping without waking him.

Although I do remember talking all the furniture that I could get my hands on and placing it in the hotel room of a very drunk diver, when he woke the next morning he found his way to the door completely blocked with furniture stacked to the roof, he had to phone reception to be extracted.

What stupid things we do when we are young, got in a lot of trouble for that never mind the state we left the kitchen in after raiding it for food at 3 in the morning.

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
"the Captain’s cabin would be also his office"

Not in the 1013 design, as the WL was.

Attachments

• 1013 capt cabin.jpg
    1013 capt cabin.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 66

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Here's a photo of the WL being loaded. The captain's office would be just under the life preserver where the three portholes are.

Attachments

• 03 Cargo Loading on Lashaway.jpeg
    03 Cargo Loading on Lashaway.jpeg
    553.7 KB · Views: 74

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread