new to coin hunting

addmorecoins

Jul 5, 2013
Hey everyone, been reading posts on here for a few days now, just got Into coin collecting this week and I think I'm addicted already lol I was wondering if anyone knew of better ways to find coins then how I have already been doing it, which is

Bank rolled pennies ( 5-20$ )
Dollars to quarters machines (20$-60$)
Soda machine refund over and over
looking on the ground
asking cashiers to swap with me.

So any better ways? So far I havent had too much luck, 13 wheats a bunch of coppers and out of like 400 quarters not one silver :/ but I did get a 1979 susan b anthony dollar from the dollar to quarter machine which was cool must've been mistaken as a quarter by whoever loads the machine :)
Also I asked the bank teller for half dollars and got 6 1976 kennedies but not sure if they are worth much at all. ive spent hoursssssss this past week looking through pennies and quarters, but so far no huge luck with dates/errors, so any suggestions? is a metal detector worth the investment? I live in tampa florida so idk if its worth hunting over here.i appreciate any help, my new favorite hobby!

Upvote 0

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
go to any bank and ask for coins as long as you have an account they should sell you some coins!

Coppercrazy

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2012
Ohio
Yeah I go to banks I don't have accounts at and one can usually give me $50 in CWR every 2 weeks. Most other banks I ask for a box and 3/5 times I can get a full box and if not I can usually get $10 about 1/7 times I get denied.

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
Metal tetector won't help you with the sea-ach-"R"-N, but it'll be good to go metal detecting with. The question to ask youself now is, do I spend that money on a detector, or do I use that money for my CRH'n fund. The choices, so simple, yet well worth a night of contemplation.

OP
OP
A

addmorecoins

Jul 5, 2013
Yeah thanks ill keep trying banks then and wait on metal detector until I profit enough to pay for it. So 1909 wheat no mint mark and 1925 wheat no mint mark worth anything? and a uncirculated 1959d ? my latest finds

OP
OP
A

addmorecoins

Jul 5, 2013
Oh :/ unfortunately it doesnt have that. whats the rarest/most valuable thing you've ever found? Im hooked already on my off time coins are all I can think about lol I guess its better than my last addiction, poker lol

mikemcc39

Greenie
Jun 11, 2013
I think the rarest thing that my father ever found CRH, and mind you this was years ago before the hobby blew up, was an entire roll of Franklin's. Someone must have had a collection and another family member dumped turned it in to the bank for the face value.

OP
OP
A

addmorecoins

Jul 5, 2013
Nice! coolest thing ive found so far was 5 mins ago, decided to double check my box of pennies again before I dump them at my credit unions free coinstar, good thing I am going back through them bc only a handful in and I find a 1904 indian head that I overlooked:) might not be worth much but I think its cool!

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130707_024217.png
    ForumRunner_20130707_024217.png
    118.2 KB · Views: 97
  • ForumRunner_20130707_024225.png
    ForumRunner_20130707_024225.png
    113.7 KB · Views: 98

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
The 1976 halves are very common and just worth face value. Quarters do produce occasionally, but the least of any denomination.

red89

Feb 28, 2012
'Murica
Primary Interest:
Other
Do dimes and half dollars, those are what produce the most silver. If available in your area ask for coins brought in by customers rather than by companies such as loomis or brinks. Often times people cash in collections not knowing what they have and that is how some people score big.

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
Well, since you are already here I will share some pearls of wisdom. First, it depends on what you are after. If you are after old copper then continue searching penny rolls. If you are after silver this is the order in which you should be searching. The best luck you will have is with half dollars. Next are dimes then war nickels(1942-1945), then quarters. The theory behind all this is that half dollars never circulated much after the 40's and therefore banks held on to much of the old silver. This and many people believe that silver coinage stopped in 1964. This is not true with the half dollar. In the U.S. half dollars contained 40% silver through 1970. Dimes are second because they are small and silver is easily overlooked in small coins. Nickels are next because they contained 35% silver for only 3.5 years during WWII and most people don't even know they ever contained silver. Quarters are the hardest to find silvers for because they are a larger coin that circulate greatly and are often recognized and kept. If anyone has any thing to add please do.

Golden Silver

maxgold84

Tenderfoot
Jul 7, 2013
This morning I picked up some rolls of dimes. I only scored on 1 roll that had 1 1964, but I did find two very interesting rolls. Two rolls, which appeared to be very old had only 1965, 1966, and 1967 dimes in them. All in BU condition. I think that I'm the only person that has seen these coins in years. To my knowledge they are just worth face value, but I'm not positive. Has anyone had a similar experience? Are they worth anything?

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
This morning I picked up some rolls of dimes. I only scored on 1 roll that had 1 1964, but I did find two very interesting rolls. Two rolls, which appeared to be very old had only 1965, 1966, and 1967 dimes in them. All in BU condition. I think that I'm the only person that has seen these coins in years. To my knowledge they are just worth face value, but I'm not positive. Has anyone had a similar experience? Are they worth anything?

They could fetch a bit of a premium on eBay.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread