Detector(s) used
Simplex+
nokta pinpointer
garrett at pinpointer
garret atmax
equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi, I'm new to metal detecting, only started last year. I've never used any other MD but I bought a simplex+ and absolutely love it. I'm still learning, the more I use it I have less questions.
I do have a question about something I came across the other day: I'm in an area that has been undisturbed for at least 75 years but is known as an outlaw hideout. I usually dig every target but only the ones with VDI numbers. I noticed this particular target would barely read. I could here a crackle sound and barely get a number. 97/98, with no mineral read, on field mode and full sensitivity (wide open), and the depth meter pegged out. So we dug down around 10" and I checked again and was still pegged out. We dug close to another 12"-14", pin pointing every couple inches. Around 20" the pin pointer function finally started zeroing in. Got down around 26" and everything still reads the same except the pinpoint, it finally got to 1 ring and the dot. I forgot to mention that the ground in that spot is hard clay. We ran out of time after digging for 2 hours (didn't exactly have the right equipment) so we filled in the hole and parked it for later. went back the next day to check and no one had messed with it but went ahead and ground balanced and swiped over it again and everything is the same, 97/98, no mineral, very faint sound, no metal of any kind within 6 feet, except my eyelets on my boots. Can anyone tell me what the possibility could be that I might have found something worth digging another 6"-8" just to see it through or am I wasting my time?

I also found 7 different .22 spent cartridges, I think 2 are copper and the rest brass, all in the same area and all have different head stamps, but not sure how to tell the age of them. I read that they quit using copper in 1931.

Sorry about posting this on another thread, still learning how to navigate this forum.

67GTA

Dec 3, 2017
Franklin, KY
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 XP Deus 2 Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dug up a model T door once at 4 foot. I'm stubborn and refused to give up on the hole. :laughing7: Any kind of huge iron will usually give that type of reading but you never know for sure until you see it. Might have found someone's junk hole.

GeoW

Jul 12, 2005
Coastal Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II, XP Deus, XP ORX, Nautilus DMCllBa, Troy X5 Shadow, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Outlaw
Personally I would not dig it but to satisfy your curiosity I would dig it anyway!

Hunk-a-lead

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2020
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Predator Phoenix Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
welcome aboard, you probably have big iron (metal) in that hole. you won't know for sure unless you dig it out but for the hunting I do, it would be a pass...............

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great hobby my friend...!
And a great machine...!
My vote would be pass, but for your curiosity, DIG IT...!
I dug a washtub at 3.6ft. once. Glad I did, as I found a Thimble
and hand-soldered can, on my way down to the ultimate target.
I took photos of the whole journey down, too...!
Headstamps on cartridges can be dated.... And, watch out for the H on those .22 shells,
that would be Henry made, the earliest rimfire

OP
OP
F

frggr118

Tenderfoot
Dec 24, 2020
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Simplex+
nokta pinpointer
garrett at pinpointer
garret atmax
equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry for the late response, we've been busy metal detecting. I appreciate all the input. After all the comments we decided we will definitely be digging deeper when it cools off.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread