All Treasure Hunting

rayoh

Jan 13, 2017
northeast Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac-Notka Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd been resisting the urge to order a Nox due to build quality complaints from others. Well, I just ordered a Nox 800.

Tell me. When I put it together for the first time, should I put a coil ear stiffener on it? Anything else that I should do?
If so, what are the best parts to use?
If you do not use a stiffener, do not over tighten the coil bolt and nut. One person I know broke three coils and he over tightened the bolt. Coil should move freely, but not flop. Error on the side of being too loose.

OP
OP
O

onadraw

Sep 28, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT, Excalibur II, Tesoro Lobo ST, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you do not use a stiffener, do not over tighten the coil bolt and nut. One person I know broke three coils and he over tightened the bolt. Coil should move freely, but not flop. Error on the side of being too loose.
What stiffener should I get?

alloy_II

Dec 24, 2021
I'd been resisting the urge to order a Nox due to build quality complaints from others. Well, I just ordered a Nox 800.

Tell me. When I put it together for the first time, should I put a coil ear stiffener on it? Anything else that I should do?
I received my 800 yesterday, the washers fit into the end of the detector rod and their purpose is to provide friction.

Do not over tighten the bolt that secures the coil
onto the shaft you do not want to apply pressure onto the ears of the coil.

As the washers age they're going to wear some, a simple fix remove the washers then insert a paper or mylar shim which will advance the washer once it's reinstalled.
20220205_125251.jpg

CZKidd

Dec 12, 2018
NW FL
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI Beach Hunter
Equinox 800, Equinox 600
XP DEUS, XP DEUS 2
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Ive used the 800 and the 600. Took them both underwater as I lake hunt and ocean hunt, when i get there. I have never had a leak and never snapped the ears. I have never had an arm cuff break. I just do not see the build issues others have seen. What I don't like about it is the tone nuances or definition. Just beep beep beep beep to me. Forget 50 tones. Sounds like a broken 60's computer. Other than that, fine machine.

alloy_II

Dec 24, 2021
If your beach detecting when your done for the day remove the coil over and clean out any sand that may have accumulated.

Remove the bottom shaft then rise the inside with fresh water, there is no drain hole on the shaft you could drill one but this still does not remove any corrosive salt residue.

Last edited:

alloy_II

Dec 24, 2021
Ive used the 800 and the 600. Took them both underwater as I lake hunt and ocean hunt, when i get there. I have never had a leak and never snapped the ears. I have never had an arm cuff break. I just do not see the build issues others have seen. What I don't like about it is the tone nuances or definition. Just beep beep beep beep to me. Forget 50 tones. Sounds like a broken 60's computer. Other than that, fine machine.
Once you've read the Noxx Handbook you'll be able to solve most of those issues.

EquinoxBook1.jpg

CZKidd

Dec 12, 2018
NW FL
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI Beach Hunter
Equinox 800, Equinox 600
XP DEUS, XP DEUS 2
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Once you've read the Noxx Handbook you'll be able to solve most of those issues.

View attachment 2008074
I did. Got some very good info out of it. Sold it with my 800. Unfortunately my ears do not hear the nuances. I have been using an XP Deus and it is really good in that respect and iron, for me. I have the XPD2 on the way to me, finally! that took along time. Sold my XPD1 kit and now the NOX 600 is up on ebay. Should have the XPD2 before the end of the sale.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I would use the ear savers. I got mine from a guy locally (in El Cajon, Ca. I believe) who makes them. His fit the 12 X 15 and 11" coils, but, not the 6". I like the aftermarket carbon fiber shafts myself, but, not something you absolutely need. If you have more than one coil, it's nice to have it mounted on an extra shaft for quick and easy coil changes. They warrant the parts for 3 years, so, no need to fret over broken parts until you get to that point. If you're hunting an area where you get deposits under the coil cover, I just drilled a series of holes in the cover and the junk will get flushed out with a hose after the hunt. Not that it's a big deal to remove the cover, but, my way is a lot faster and easier. Have fun!

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
"Coil should move freely, but not flop. Error on the side of being too loose."

That toque "feel" for just tight enough, but not to flop, comes natural. I never have put on stiffeners on any Equinox coil and I have gone through 2 Nox machine warranties, and own all coils available except the 15" coil.

Many people believe a nut an bolt needs to be locked down tight. That just isn't wise with these materials of coils. Are these coils less than ideally manufactured? Yes.

If I ever have a cracked ear on my coils, I might add stiffeners but it ain't happened one time yet.

alloy_II

Dec 24, 2021
I would use the ear savers. I got mine from a guy locally (in El Cajon, Ca. I believe) who makes them. His fit the 12 X 15 and 11" coils, but, not the 6". I like the aftermarket carbon fiber shafts myself, but, not something you absolutely need. If you have more than one coil, it's nice to have it mounted on an extra shaft for quick and easy coil changes. They warrant the parts for 3 years, so, no need to fret over broken parts until you get to that point. If you're hunting an area where you get deposits under the coil cover, I just drilled a series of holes in the cover and the junk will get flushed out with a hose after the hunt. Not that it's a big deal to remove the cover, but, my way is a lot faster and easier. Have fun!
Drilling holes into the coil cover will give mineralized sand easy access, this sand will eventually confuse the detector.

Under the coil cover the underside of the coil has many cavity's, keep em clean.

20220205_160624.jpg

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Coil should move freely, but not flop. Error on the side of being too loose."

That toque "feel" for just tight enough, but not to flop, comes natural. I never have put on stiffeners on any Equinox coil and I have gone through 2 Nox machine warranties, and own all coils available except the 15" coil.

Many people believe a nut an bolt needs to be locked down tight. That just isn't wise with these materials of coils. Are these coils less than ideally manufactured? Yes.

If I ever have a cracked ear on my coils, I might add stiffeners but it ain't happened one time yet.
The 15" one is the most vulnerable to coil ear breakage.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Drilling holes into the coil cover will give mineralized sand easy access, this sand will eventually confuse the detector.

Under the coil cover the underside of the coil has many cavity's, keep em clean.

View attachment 2008134
That hasn't been my experience. Maybe my sand/dirt isn't as mineralized as yours, but, we have a lot of black sand here at our beaches. I haven't pulled my coil cover off in at least two years. Machine is nice and stable and still finds quarters 16" down.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If your using it as a weed eater, I can see that happening to any coil.
I've never broken an ear on any of the over 20 detectors I've used in my 51+ years of detecting, except for the 12X 15" NOX coil....and that's happened twice without the stiffeners. They're just too thin and brittle for the size of the coil. The stiffeners are really cheap and add a bit of insurance against breakage. What's your problem with that? :dontknow:

alloy_II

Dec 24, 2021
IMHO ear protectors are useless, unless they become an integral part of the ABS plastic they're attached too.

To preserve the life of your coil.

Ultraviolet (UV) radiation would be more harmful to acrylonitrile-butadiene-styrene (ABS) used outdoors than the heat and cold. Therefore, it should be coated with a pigmented material (paint) for UV protection.

Last edited:

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first 800 stock coil ears broke, never over tightened, just snug enough to keep the coil from pivoting. When i received a replacement coil under warranty, I installed the stiffener. Did not epoxy because of warranty, but tightly zipped it to the coil. So far so good. Stiffener is inexpensive insurance.

alloy_II

Dec 24, 2021
My first 800 stock coil ears broke, never over tightened, just snug enough to keep the coil from pivoting. When i received a replacement coil under warranty, I installed the stiffener. Did not epoxy because of warranty, but tightly zipped it to the coil. So far so good. Stiffener is inexpensive insurance.
Did you install the washers.

20220205_125251.jpg

Screenshot from 2022-02-08 05-17-00.png

Last edited:

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, 8 x11" and Nel Storm coils
Garrett Propointer er, Pro Pointer AT
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Whites MX Sport With Detec
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
it's weird that so many people say the Nox has build issues. But yet have seen less than 20 actually saying it happened. Have 2 Nox over a 1000 hrs on one and other is new. Never broke a coil ear or had it flood. In fact when you buy a Nox submerged it in your bath tub for a while. I'd rather find out right away and while under warranty I have all 3 coils and their mounted on lower shafts for easy changing. .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread