O

onadraw

Sep 28, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT, Excalibur II, Tesoro Lobo ST, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it's weird that so many people say the Nox has build issues. But yet have seen less than 20 actually saying it happened. Have 2 Nox over a 1000 hrs on one and other is new. Never broke a coil ear or had it flood. In fact when you buy a Nox submerged it in your bath tub for a while. I'd rather find out right away and while under warranty I have all 3 coils and their mounted on lower shafts for easy changing. .
I hope it works out good. I'll say this, I just put it together and have it charging. To me, it doesn't feel wobbly or overly weak.

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
OK per Minelab... I am also about to switch to an equinox 800... but per an engineer... Minelab has NEVER recommended stiffeners! The other advice here was correct... Keep clean do not over tighen.. (PER MINELAB). Clean as needed change washers when wear shown...

Last edited:

alloy_II

Dec 24, 2021
That hasn't been my experience. Maybe my sand/dirt isn't as mineralized as yours, but, we have a lot of black sand here at our beaches. I haven't pulled my coil cover off in at least two years. Machine is nice and stable and still finds quarters 16" down.
Screenshot from 2022-02-09 19-52-27.png

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK per Minelab... I am also about to switch to an equinox 800... but per an engineer... Minelab has NEVER recommended stiffeners! The other advice here was correct... Keep clean do not over tighen.. (PER MINELAB). Clean as needed change washers when wear shown...
Sure, for the first 3 years there's no need since they're under warranty. Just get a new one when they break. Keep in mind that you will pay for shipping one way, which is not cheap anymore, and much more than the ear savers cost. Shipping costs and not having that coil to hunt makes it a no brainer to me. Up to you on that. Once the warranty runs out, I'd definitely use them.

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
Sure, for the first 3 years there's no need since they're under warranty. Just get a new one when they break. Keep in mind that you will pay for shipping one way, which is not cheap anymore, and much more than the ear savers cost. Shipping costs and not having that coil to hunt makes it a no brainer to me. Up to you on that. Once the warranty runs out, I'd definitely use them.
If Whites was still around I would probably stick with them...but they are gone.. and Minelab seems the way to go now for me...

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If Whites was still around I would probably stick with them...but they are gone.. and Minelab seems the way to go now for me...
Except for the TDI beach hunter, White's didn't make a good salt water beach machine. If you wanted discrimination, you were out of luck with White's. That was one of the reasons they went under. They were just stuck in the past and didn't devote enough effort in R&D to keep up with Minelab, NoMak, and XP. Paint jobs on old tech just doesn't work in the long run......Tesoro found out about that too.

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
Except for the TDI beach hunter, White's didn't make a good salt water beach machine. If you wanted discrimination, you were out of luck with White's. That was one of the reasons they went under. They were just stuck in the past and didn't devote enough effort in R&D to keep up with Minelab, NoMak, and XP. Paint jobs on old tech just doesn't work in the long run......Tesoro found out about that too.
Competition and new technology can be a killer... but their customer service was fantastic... a shame.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Absolutely! I was a White's guy for many many years........until Minelab proved they were better.

Dirt Duke

Aug 26, 2018
Detector(s) used
ATPro
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had both coil ears break and while using a 3D printed coil ear stiffener 2 years ago. I would not use one again. I saw a video by Gigmaster where he cut out 2 pieces of ABS plastic, cut them to size and joined them to coil ears with Gorilla Weld epoxy. I did that same fix last summer and my coil ears are rock solid. This video shows 3D printed reinforcements already made. They work, period.
Yes, DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN THE COIL BOLT.

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
I had both coil ears break and while using a 3D printed coil ear stiffener 2 years ago. I would not use one again. I saw a video by Gigmaster where he cut out 2 pieces of ABS plastic, cut them to size and joined them to coil ears with Gorilla Weld epoxy. I did that same fix last summer and my coil ears are rock solid. This video shows 3D printed reinforcements already made. They work, period.
Yes, DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN THE COIL BOLT.

Thanks hopefully mine does not get to that... but I will save the video... got the standard 11" and 6" inch coil... opening tomorrow... had a few weeks but just been watching videos.

alloy_II

Dec 24, 2021
The Velcro strap is intended to secure the cable from the coil to the shaft. If the cable is allowed to flop around near the coil the detector will pick up unnecessary background noise.

Screenshot from 2022-02-19 12-28-03.png

treasureguy56

Mar 31, 2019
Half way Between Perry and Owosso Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1210 , Tesoro Golden Sabre , CZ5 , Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it's weird that so many people say the Nox has build issues. But yet have seen less than 20 actually saying it happened. Have 2 Nox over a 1000 hrs on one and other is new. Never broke a coil ear or had it flood. In fact when you buy a Nox submerged it in your bath tub for a while. I'd rather find out right away and while under warranty I have all 3 coils and their mounted on lower shafts for easy changing. .
I have to completely agree , been using mine since early 2019 - never have had one issue . I imagine if you mistreat your unit you may have some problems . This machine has done everything Ive asked of it and more !

jmc24

Feb 24, 2020
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom, Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Legend, XP Deus 2, FTP Tek Point, Garrott Carrot, Gold Hog River Sluices and Flow Pan, Royal Mini High Banker.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
5,000 hours total on a Nox 600 and 2 Nox 800s for coin, jewelry, relic, gold nugget prospecting and beach hunting dry, wet and submerged. I changed the shafts to carbon fiber on the two 800's early on and always have used Doc's arm cuff cover. Otherwise, absolutely no other modifications, problems or broken parts. Amazing detectors.

If I was going to hunt regularly in salt water or wet sand follow the instructions given here and do not over tighten the coil nuts, get the sand off the coil periodically during hunts and don't ever lean on the shaft or use it as a crutch or cane to help get up or down. Be careful in heavy surf and move the coil slowly and smoothly. As others have said, nothing wrong with getting a coil ear support. It might make a difference.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread