Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Depends on your location mate. Americas. Asia. europe

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
There's a great deal you need to know.

Start with what is safe to do. And legal.

Some treasure hunters (and divers) manage to get themselves into serious trouble while they look. Some run into danger without finding anything. With others, the problems begin when they do.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

1percenter

Oct 3, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check the laws first. Lots of leases and permits on the east coast.

OP
OP
J

JFDIAFF

Greenie
Dec 14, 2016
United States
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It'll most likely be off the coast of Florida for now, and I'll go from there. Would I need a permit to dive off of the coast?

agflit

Mar 25, 2015
Wisconsin, N.C. Fl, Bahamas....wherever the wrecks
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tigershark freshwater...Excaliber 1000 Bluetube, Aquapulse AQ1b, Marine Sonics Centurian SSS
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It'll most likely be off the coast of Florida for now, and I'll go from there. Would I need a permit to dive off of the coast?

You can dive all you want without permits.
You just cannot remove any items of historical value without permits.
And the odds of getting a permit to do so...

are the equivalent of getting struck by lightning.

Just head to the back of a very... very... long line.

capt dom

Nov 9, 2006
Jupiter, Florida USA
Read my book, "A Responcible Guide to Undersea Exploration"... I composed it to blow some smoke away would be underwater archeologist's blow up the public's asses

marticus

Sep 16, 2013
NSW
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
GPX 4500
Garrett Infinium LS
45 inch Coil sled mono
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Hey group. Looking for some words of wisdom.
So im starting to move towards dive detecting in shallows. Like 20ft max. Looking for pros and cons to using flippers or just boots.
Im thinking boots might be more suited for the slow moving and sweeping with the detector.
What are peoples experiences or recommendations

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark....Aqua pulse 1B....Equinox ll
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
If you are in water deeper than you can stand up in fins are going to be the only way to maintain your chosen position.

There is also a safety factor of being able to swim up in fins, I used to dive for golf balls with just boots and when I changed to fins it made a huge difference.

Also moving forward with a detector ( covering ground) is really difficult in booties

Vox veritas

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You hire a lawyer. All that is treasures, sooner or later, are problems

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I'm going to be starting to treasure dive here in the near future. I'm already an experienced diver. I've recovered small things before, but never really did much diving in or around shipwrecks. Is there anything I need to know, or any tips?

Nope. Just jump in and do it. You'll get rich, guaranteed.

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
JFDIAFF what state do you live in? I might be able to give you some leads to check out.

marticus

Sep 16, 2013
NSW
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
GPX 4500
Garrett Infinium LS
45 inch Coil sled mono
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Going to start doing a bit if this in aus if anyone is from the same area

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark....Aqua pulse 1B....Equinox ll
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I know this wreck is in Australia, the Zuytdorp ?

I keep reading about this Dutch ship where all the silver Guilders are lying stuck to the seabed, all they need is to be pried loose.

Only problem it's at the bottom of a cliff miles from anywhere with only half a day a year where it's calm enough to even think about diving it......

In 1988, an American woman who had married a Shark Bay Aboriginal man contacted Dr Playford and described how her husband had died some years before from a disease called variegate porphyria. Playford found that the disease was genetically linked and largely confined to Afrikaners and that all cases of the disease in South Africa were traceable back to Gerrit Jansz and Ariaantjie Jacobs, who had married in The Cape in 1688. The Zuytdorp had arrived at the Cape in March 1712 where it took on more than 100 new crew. It was thought that one of the Jansz' sons could have boarded the ship at this time and thus become the carrier of the disease into the Australian Aboriginal population. In 2002, a DNA investigation into the hypothesis of a variegate porphyria mutation having been introduced into the aboriginal population by shipwrecked sailors was undertaken at the Queen Elizabeth II Medical Centre in Nedlands, Western Australia and the Stellenbosch University in South Africa.[5] The conclusion was that the mutations were not inherited from shipwrecked sailors. The SS Xantho and other late 19th century vessels brought hundreds of pearl divers to Western Australia from the islands occupied by the Dutch East India Company, where diseases (including genetic diseases) were introduced by the Dutch to the local population. Many of those pearl divers are known to have intermarried with Aboriginal people, so it is equally likely that any genetic links between Australian Aborigines and the Dutch can be traced to those sources and not to the Zuytdorp, despite the ship pictured on Walga Rock.

The ship were again pointed out to the local legend and Tamala Station head stockman, Tom Pepper. He had got the information from his Aboriginal wife Lurlie and her family. He pointed out the exact location to Phillip Playford. Tom Pepper and his son, Tom Pepper JR, were allso involved in the process of saving goods from the ship, in several dangerous operations due to the shifting weather. Phillip Playford's subsequent book, Carpet Of Silver: The Wreck Of The Zuytdorp, won awards and has run into many editions. It in turn was followed by radio personality Bill Bunbury reviewing the issues of the wreck and consequences in the chapter A Lost Ship-Lost People - The Zuytdorp story in his work Caught in Time - Talking Australia History. The site, one of the few restricted zones under the Commonwealth Historic Shipwrecks Act 1976, remains under regular surveillance. The Western Australian Museum in both Fremantle and at Geraldton has produced exhibitions on the wreck, a website, and many reports. Due to the logistical difficulties and the advent of Health and Safety legislation prohibiting the taking of risk in an occupational environment, the Zuytdorp program was again shelved in 2002, though work remains to be done.[6][7] Recently there has been renewed interest in the authenticity of an inscription reading "Zuytdorp 1711" that was once visible on a rock-face adjacent to the reef platform at the site. Post-dating Phillip Playford's first visits in 1954/5, when photographs of the same area show no inscription, this is a modern artefact.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions