New used GMT question

Tbone1

Jul 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi There
New member here.
Great looking web site.
I bought a used GMT the other day and have been playing with it some.
I get a bad ground message and loud tone when I get close to the preset notch on the gain.
Coil is the 6/10 that I think is standard.
Think maybe I should send it into White's or does that seem normal?
Thanks

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The loud tone you get when the coil is near the ground is from the Ground Balance being off. While in all metal, pump the coil up and down slowly while adjusting the GB up or down for a steady tone. If gain (sens) is to high it will make it more touchy.
Welcome to Tnet..JPG Welcome to Tnet..JPG

Ausgoldhunter

Mar 2, 2013
Batemans Bay
Detector(s) used
Currently: White's GMT, Fisher Gold Bug 2. Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Fisher Gold Bug SE, Fisher F70, Garrett AT Gold, Minelab X-Terra 705, Minelab Eureka Gold, Whites GMZ, Minelab GP Extreme, GP 3000, Mine
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Is the coil on the ground? or near a metal object when you turn up the gain?

If not the COIL is out of calibration and needs to be replaced... I had the exact same problem White's replaced my 6x10"... I don't know why this happens but it does..

Anyway GL

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is the coil on the ground? or near a metal object when you turn up the gain?

If not the COIL is out of calibration and needs to be replaced... I had the exact same problem White's replaced my 6x10"... I don't know why this happens but it does..

Anyway GL

Great Post!!1 I forgot that sometimes the coil gets outta whack if it gets knocked on a rock or something. Best to send it in for your own satisfaction and peace of mind. Read my signature below. Happy Hunting......

OP
OP
T

Tbone1

Jul 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When the over load occurs I have the coil in the air and away from any metal.

It actually happens no matter what I do.
I think I'm going to send the coil and unit in as I did just by this used and it better to have it calibrated and or fixed.
Thanks you guys!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread