NEW XP ORX...X35 or HF coil??

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am currently using a Deus 2 with the 9" FMF coil....absolutely great detector....no complaints. Just thinking of buying a good back up machine and also a machine for beating through the mountains this fall and searching those old cellar holes. I think the ORX will be exactly what im looking for with its compact size and light weight and great speed. I know my D2 will do all of this but i dont want to beat up a $1600 machine. I want the 9" coil for sure....but do i go with x35 or HF? Im mainly looking to use this for old home sites in the mountains looking for buttons, buckles, large cents, Indian heads, and maybe an old silver coin on occasion....??

HighPlainsHunter

Apr 17, 2008
Forney, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had the ORX with the 9" HF coil, and now have the 9" X-35 coil. Ideally, I'd want both. Haven't had a chance to use the X-35 yet since this was day 44 of 100 degrees, or more, and 66 days without a trace of rain, making it too hot, and too dry to hunt. Not sure either coil would be a mistake, but for the type of hunting you're going to do, I would think the X-35 would do you well. The HF might be a better choice if going after really small targets. I'm sure others will have a different opinion. Good luck with your decision...

bigtim1973

Oct 12, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found plenty of deep targets with the 9 inch round hf coil on the orx I had.

The orx with the 9 inch hf coil was the first xp unit I ever purchased.

Since then I have had 2 orx, one with the x35 and the other the hf round and also had the elliptical 9.5x10.

Purchased an xp deus and compared targets in the ground that were dropped naturally and not in a test garden with both the xp deus and the orx.

Both machines hit the targets at the same depth using both hf9 and x35 coils.

The only difference of course was the fact that the orx had less options to fiddle with for target ID response.

It performed as good as the deus 1 using either coil on the orx side by side against the Deus using the same coil on the same frequency.

Now I have sold my orx units and kept my original deus.

Yesterday I received my new deus 2.

On the orx I hunted in 31khz with the hf round coil most of the time.

I pulled out small Civil war buck and ball shot and also 36 caliber musket balls with that set up more than any other unit I ever owned previously here on my own little civil war campsite on my own property.

So I would say get the orx with the hf round coil myself.

As the x35 will not have an advantage compared to your new deus 2 coil since it runs as low as 4khz.

The x35 coil has a boost mode in the deus 1 that is not adjustable with the orx on 4khz.

With that being said...internally on the orx....I know there is some adjustments made that are "fixed" and non adjustable internally in the "Deep Coin" program on the ORX.

This makes up for the fully adjustable "transmit boost" option found in the Deus 1 expert menu option.

Now since you have the deus 2....with the mono program you can set that up like the original deus and save many different slots with the frequency you want to use for specific areas.

I too may possibly sell my Deus 1 now and get an orx with the hf 9 inch coil again for a back up........or possibly just get another hf coil for my Deus 1....not sure just yet.

The one thing I really like on the orx is the larger target ID and iron probably bar compared to the deus 1.

Anyways....you have some food for thought and a few choices you can ponder with.

Good luck, HH Tim

Last edited:

Akronplacer

Jan 3, 2022
The hf coil gives you the ability to find tiny target but as you increase the frequency you decrease depth. I have found tiny chunks of lead using the 81k setting that most detectors would pass right over.

The orx is very capable and versatile shallow or deep. Super easy to use because it's turn on and go. The only consideration in coil config is how much ground you need to cover and how much trash is intermixed with your good signals. The elliptical coil is better at knifing through nails and other junk to separate the high tones that might be right next to them. Unfortunately you sacrifice search area. So if you are in a trashy area it will be better for you.

OP
OP
DiggerinVA

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ordered my ORX today...cant wait for a new detector to swing. Shout out to Bart at Big Boys Hobbies for a great deal on the ORX! I went with the 9" HF coil and think it will serve the purpose well.

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Ordered my ORX today...cant wait for a new detector to swing. Shout out to Bart at Big Boys Hobbies for a great deal on the ORX! I went with the 9" HF coil and think it will serve the purpose well.
Fantastic detector I have the same coil on mine. I’ve had the ORX for 3 summers now and i love the speed and light weight. I do a lot of water hunting also so I bought the water kit with it and it’s been flawless in and out of the water.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I am currently using a Deus 2 with the 9" FMF coil....absolutely great detector....no complaints. Just thinking of buying a good back up machine and also a machine for beating through the mountains this fall and searching those old cellar holes. I think the ORX will be exactly what im looking for with its compact size and light weight and great speed. I know my D2 will do all of this but i dont want to beat up a $1600 machine. I want the 9" coil for sure....but do i go with x35 or HF? Im mainly looking to use this for old home sites in the mountains looking for buttons, buckles, large cents, Indian heads, and maybe an old silver coin on occasion....??
Good choice for a back up detector.
Though I have a query: Why or would you beat up the Deus ll?
I'm pretty sure that you wouldn't wrap it around a tree in frustration. :laughing7:

OP
OP
DiggerinVA

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good choice for a back up detector.
Though I have a query: Why or would you beat up the Deus ll?
I'm pretty sure that you wouldn't wrap it around a tree in frustration. :laughing7:
The terrain is steep and rough were i plan to detect and slips, trips and falls are common....targets should be fairly shallow and not hard to find....just hard to get to. I just prefer something adequate that didnt cost me $1600.00. I was forced to go to the ORX the other day when my coil died on the Deus 2.....these machines are different for sure but the ORX still came through with a few good finds in a field that has been pounded for two decades or more.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread