New year...new detector?

bubbacat

Dec 20, 2018
Deep Woods, Mississippi
Detector(s) used
1266XB, Simplex+
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello. Thanks in advance for your thoughts and opinions on narrowing down a potential new detector.

I have detected for 37 years and have always been an old Fisher analogue fan. Alas, my dear 1266 is presently in the Gilmer E.R. and Dr. Wills is the attending physician. I have a fall-back machine but have been thinking about a new one.

With a budget around $500+, would I do better to purchase a Simplex, AT PRO, or a new/old Tesoro Outlaw? (This machine would be for parks, playgrounds, and an occasional beach trip.

Thanks Again and Happy Hunting,

Bubba C.

Upvote 3

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
in the Tucson AZ area now
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
x2 quest X Pointer Max - my favorite
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I just ordered the simplex plus for my grandson after, many hours and days of trying to figure out which one to get him, from everything I have researched the simplex plus and the Mine lab Vanquish are really great machines I went with the simplex plus because of it being water proof the Vanquish is multi frequency, and everyone says it is like a watered down Equinox, I have the AT PRO since 2010 and it never has impressed me but there are a lot of users out there that swear by it i am just not one of those that do, I did choose the simplex plus because I just could not get over how much the Vanquish reminded me of the AT PRO, I was also able to find a dealer that still had the free coil package available in the Simplex Plus which came with the standard coil and also included the 9.5 x 5 inch coil which is a fantastic deal when you consider that 9.5 x 5 inch coil is $109 if purchased separately also included free shipping and no tax total cost for that package was $339. shipped

OP
OP
B

bubbacat

Dec 20, 2018
Deep Woods, Mississippi
Detector(s) used
1266XB, Simplex+
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just ordered the simplex plus for my grandson after, many hours and days of trying to figure out which one to get him, from everything I have researched the simplex plus and the Mine lab Vanquish are really great machines I went with the simplex plus because of it being water proof the Vanquish is multi frequency, and everyone says it is like a watered down Equinox, I have the AT PRO since 2010 and it never has impressed me but there are a lot of users out there that swear by it i am just not one of those that do, I did choose the simplex plus because I just could not get over how much the Vanquish reminded me of the AT PRO, I was also able to find a dealer that still had the free coil package available in the Simplex Plus which came with the standard coil and also included the 9.5 x 5 inch coil which is a fantastic deal when you consider that 9.5 x 5 inch coil is $109 if purchased separately also included free shipping and no tax total cost for that package was $339. shipped
Thanks, Oldkoot, for your advice. Dang good deal!

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
FORGOT TO ALSO WELCOME YOU TO TNET SO WELCOME

RJGMC

Sep 6, 2008
KANSAS CITY METRO
Detector(s) used
SIMPLEX, EQUINOX AND TESORO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to give a vote for the Simplex. I have several Tesoro brand machines, and one of them had it's place in soybean fields until the Simplex came along. Still have several Garrett's too. The Equinox and I just never could get along, not sure why. But the Simplex has been fantastic. While cost is not the final factor, you get a lot for your buck. The rechargeable batteries go all day, in case you wondered.
Bob

OP
OP
B

bubbacat

Dec 20, 2018
Deep Woods, Mississippi
Detector(s) used
1266XB, Simplex+
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have to give a vote for the Simplex. I have several Tesoro brand machines, and one of them had it's place in soybean fields until the Simplex came along. Still have several Garrett's too. The Equinox and I just never could get along, not sure why. But the Simplex has been fantastic. While cost is not the final factor, you get a lot for your buck. The rechargeable batteries go all day, in case you wondered.
Bob
Mr. Bob, battery life crossed my mind several times.
Question...the old analogue machines I have always used were/are built like tanks and rarely did I send one away for basic repairs. Do digital units hold up in the field? What do you estimate the life of a Simplex would be? Your thoughts are appreciated!

I'm warming up to the Simplex,

Bubba C.

Chuck M

Greenie
Dec 6, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello. Thanks in advance for your thoughts and opinions on narrowing down a potential new detector.

I have detected for 37 years and have always been an old Fisher analogue fan. Alas, my dear 1266 is presently in the Gilmer E.R. and Dr. Wills is the attending physician. I have a fall-back machine but have been thinking about a new one.

With a budget around $500+, would I do better to purchase a Simplex, AT PRO, or a new/old Tesoro Outlaw? (This machine would be for parks, playgrounds, and an occasional beach trip.

Thanks Again and Happy Hunting,

Bubba C.
My vote goes to the Minelab Vanquish 540 pro pack. My brother owns the Simplex and he wishes now that he owned the Vanquish. Its multi-frequeintcy, goes deep and has great tones and readings at all depths. Good luck

oldmxrat

Gold Member
Oct 25, 2020
Reno Nevada summers, Las Vegas winters
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400, Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Legend, Nokta Accupoint
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Simplex seems to be very durable with long battery life. I abuse mine pretty bad and never had an issue. Plus, it's got some great features like:
+ It collapses to a very small size by flicking two levers
+ It has a mute button so you can silence it when you're pinpointing and digging
+ It's very light and rigid with the carbon shaft it now comes with
+ It's got beach mode that works great in salt water
+ It's got a built in LED 'headlight' for night hunting
+ Switching coils takes about 20 seconds
And the price, that makes it a no brainer.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you can stand the raise, get an Equinox or maybe wait a bit to see how the new Nokta/Makro Legend compares.

Robert S

Tenderfoot
Sep 25, 2021
Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 540 and CZ-21. Past Jetco Mustang, BH Turbo, Delta 4000, Fisher F22, T2SE, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought a Vanquish 540 to replace my old T2se that finally died. I love the thing. Crazy good on the beach, you can pretty much run it at full power unlike the Simplex there. The real question here is where are you located? and what is the soil like?

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The main drawback to me with the Vanquish series is that they aren't waterproof. Otherwise, they're good bang for the buck.

OP
OP
B

bubbacat

Dec 20, 2018
Deep Woods, Mississippi
Detector(s) used
1266XB, Simplex+
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I bought a Vanquish 540 to replace my old T2se that finally died. I love the thing. Crazy good on the beach, you can pretty much run it at full power unlike the Simplex there. The real question here is where are you located? and what is the soil like?
Thanks, Robert S., for your quick response. I'm located in MS, have detected nearly 4 decades and found loads of relics and thousands of coins with my old Fishers; however, I have to plead ignorance on specific soil types. Outside of Union camps at Eastport in the far northeast of the state, I have found all soils easy to detect using my 1266s. Unfortunately, one of them is in the repair shop which got me to thinking about a new unit. Not understanding the newest digital tech and being an old school analogue fan, I opted for a cheaper Simplex yesterday. I may work my way up once I master it. Thanks again and happy hunting!
Bubba C.

OP
OP
B

bubbacat

Dec 20, 2018
Deep Woods, Mississippi
Detector(s) used
1266XB, Simplex+
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My vote goes to the Minelab Vanquish 540 pro pack. My brother owns the Simplex and he wishes now that he owned the Vanquish. Its multi-frequeintcy, goes deep and has great tones and readings at all depths. Good luck
Thanks, Chuck, for your response! Yesterday, I opted for the Simplex mainly because it was in stock and there was an older Fisher guy like me present who gave it a thumbs up. This is my first venture in digital tech. Thanks again and happy hunting!

OP
OP
B

bubbacat

Dec 20, 2018
Deep Woods, Mississippi
Detector(s) used
1266XB, Simplex+
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Simplex seems to be very durable with long battery life. I abuse mine pretty bad and never had an issue. Plus, it's got some great features like:
+ It collapses to a very small size by flicking two levers
+ It has a mute button so you can silence it when you're pinpointing and digging
+ It's very light and rigid with the carbon shaft it now comes with
+ It's got beach mode that works great in salt water
+ It's got a built in LED 'headlight' for night hunting
+ Switching coils takes about 20 seconds
And the price, that makes it a no brainer.
Thanks, oldmxrat, for your help. Picked up a Simplex yesterday. Charged it this morning with the intention of going out in the afternoon; however, I detected most of yesterday with my old 1266 and opted for a nap this afternoon! Happy hunting!

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks, oldmxrat, for your help. Picked up a Simplex yesterday. Charged it this morning with the intention of going out in the afternoon; however, I detected most of yesterday with my old 1266 and opted for a nap this afternoon! Happy hunting!
I am still waiting for the simplex plus that I ordered for my grandson to be delivered should have it by Wednesday or Thursday did yous come with the 2 coils or just the standard 11 inch coil ????

OP
OP
B

bubbacat

Dec 20, 2018
Deep Woods, Mississippi
Detector(s) used
1266XB, Simplex+
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bob

I am still waiting for the simplex plus that I ordered for my grandson to be delivered should have it by Wednesday or Thursday did yous come with the 2 coils or just the standard 11 inch coil ????
Oddly enough, I bought it at a gunshow Sat afternoon. It came with two coils: 11 inch and the 9.5 inch oval-shaped coil. The one thing it did not include was the electrical plug for the charging cord; but we used a plug for a phone, and it took about 3.5 hours to charge it. Below is a good quick-start guide I found on You Tube...

Simplex+ Quick Start Guide | Nokta Makro Metal Detectors | Siren Kimmie | Girls Rock Metal Detecting​

Happy hunting!

Bubba C.

Rad1sh

Sep 22, 2019
Olympia, Washington
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex White Coinmaster ( Burghandy)
Garret Ace 250 Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the Vanquish and the Simplex. I have sinced moved on to the Equinox as my main machine. The simplex is an easy number 2 in my arsenal. I use it just about weekly. Great detector. I like the vanquish but I dont love it. if that makes sense.

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Equanox 600. Great all aground machine ,rocks on the beach and is waterproof.
There are about to be a ton of used ones on the market also because of the new deus 2 coming out.

DannyB1954

Nov 29, 2015
Pahrump, Nv.
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, DFX, V3i. TDI SL
Fischer F-75, F-19, CZ7a Pro.
Garrett Infinium, ATX
Nokta AU Gold, Racer, Simplex, legend
Minelab Explorer SE
Tesoro Lobo ST, Tejon, Compadre
Teknetics Omega 8500
XP ORX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I see you went with the Simplex +. You will be happy with it. Another detector in your price range is the Fisher F-19. If you like looking for small items, it may be the best, (very similar to the Gold Bug series but has added coin features). I see them new on Ebay for $450. I actually bought a second one used there for a little over $200, (I wanted the second one for the different coil and as a backup for my first one).

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread