Newbie from toledo, oh

ryanr623

Apr 27, 2011
Hello all. I just got into metal detecting a couple weeks ago. I started with a garrett ace 250, but became frustrated with the slow response and poor pinpointing. I was ready to throw it away. Everyone else seems to like it so maybe its just because im a newb :dontknow:

Anyhow, i sold it and after thorough research (lost money on the ace, not gonna do it again), i found that the fisher F2 seemed to shine where the ace didn't. It is very fast at locating, and responsiveness and awesome at pinpointing. So now I'm having fun, and am all but addicted. I figure when i find more than just clad and trash, and find a good place to go, I'll be fully addicted :laughing7:

So, anyone else here from toledo? Im starting to research places to go rather then playgrounds and swingsets etc. My aunt has an old house with chicken coop, built in the 1890's, thats she said i could detect. So i'll be out there soon for sure!

Any other tips/tricks for a newb? I know research is BIG in this hobby, so how do you guys find where to go?

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 Di Pro Sl and Whites Eagle Spectrum Fisher Coinstrike Fisher F70 Whites M6 Garrett 1500 Tesoro Cibola
Whites XLT Minelab Quattro Minelab Xterra 50 Fisher Id Edge
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other
What I do is just try to find places that are old, if I start pulling wheat pennies then I know that silver is possible.

OP
OP
R

ryanr623

Apr 27, 2011
Farscape said:
What I do is just try to find places that are old, if I start pulling wheat pennies then I know that silver is possible.

How do you find the places i guess is what im asking, just places you drive by? I have heard of old 1800's plat maps, but they are hard to read for me.

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I do a lot of research. One of the best things that helps me is to google the history of some towns. I particularly look for schools, parks, fairgrounds, campgrounds, swimming holes, ect. I also am only looking for places older than 1940's. A lot of schools have built new schools on the same site as the original 1800's or early 1900's schools. Read some of the stories of happenings in the past. For example if you see a story about a family attending a fair or a picnic in the park in the 1920's then you will want to find those places if you can. The internet is your best friend for research.

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 Di Pro Sl and Whites Eagle Spectrum Fisher Coinstrike Fisher F70 Whites M6 Garrett 1500 Tesoro Cibola
Whites XLT Minelab Quattro Minelab Xterra 50 Fisher Id Edge
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other
I basically stick to parks and yards...I've never researched old areas..I should though.

Swartzie

Mar 15, 2009
Tuscarawas County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
For old stuff research is the key.

Old maps of Ohio: http://historical.mytopo.com/
http://www.historicmapworks.com/Browse/United_States/Ohio/

The old cellar holes I hunt are located on public land that is used for hunting. This land is mostly in flood plains behind dams. The dams were built in the 1930's and the homes were vacated at the time. If you have dams in your area then there is probably lots of public land behind them. Look on old maps for homes that may be back there. On maps the homes are shown as a black square.

-Swrtzie

idigdirt

Mar 15, 2006
Epworth, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Compass xp-pro
Primary Interest:
Other
search the floor of that chicken coop real good kid and let me know how you did....

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
treasurehound said:
I do a lot of research. One of the best things that helps me is to google the history of some towns. I particularly look for schools, parks, fairgrounds, campgrounds, swimming holes, ect. I also am only looking for places older than 1940's. A lot of schools have built new schools on the same site as the original 1800's or early 1900's schools. Read some of the stories of happenings in the past. For example if you see a story about a family attending a fair or a picnic in the park in the 1920's then you will want to find those places if you can. The internet is your best friend for research.
Follow Randy's advise. He is a great researcher

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread