Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wilcome.PNG Sure people will sometimes give permission. Learn how to pop coin out without having to dig for it. Don't be seen with a digging tool. Try school yards on weekends.

OP
OP
N

natnlex

Dec 26, 2014
concord, nc
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay I think I need a little help understanding the descrimination and elimination buttons. If I break my back digging up one more pull tab I'll seriously go insane. Feeling very discouraged but im no quitter.

OP
OP
N

natnlex

Dec 26, 2014
concord, nc
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
“Despite marking the spot, Generation X has no treasure. How could they, when I dug it up first?”*
―*Jarod Kintz,

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Best to find clean ground with no metal to make Beeps. Lay different targets down like coins, nails, couple diff pull tabs and a gold and silver ring a few inches from each other. Wave coil over each while slowly turning disc knob up till sound goes funny. That's where they get disc out. Note when pull tabs are silent so is the gold ring, but the silver ring still can be heard and so will the coins. Best to wear headphones too so you can tell the slight diff in the sounds.

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Okay I think I need a little help understanding the descrimination and elimination buttons. If I break my back digging up one more pull tab I'll seriously go insane. Feeling very discouraged but im no quitter.

If you give up because of digging pull tabs - give up - I have dug since the late 70's and have used old detectors and now use the newest of detectors and still dig all pull tabs. If you don't you will miss so many good targets. He who digs the most trash digs the most treasure.... really...
Yes try an old school football field on a weekend to get use to your new detector...
Good luck!

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
pull up youtube and type, metal detecting ace 250 ,watch em all,lots of good tips.Watch videos on how to use a screwdriver on the sod.next dont be afraid to go on,"fluke"hunts.I regularly just pull over and head into the woods.Its nice to hit unworked ground and I have scored big on occassion.Permissions are given to those who ask...many older posts here on subject.
If it was a slam dunk everyone would have found everything long ago.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
pull up youtube and type, metal detecting ace 250 ,watch em all,lots of good tips.Watch videos on how to use a screwdriver on the sod.next dont be afraid to go on,"fluke"hunts.I regularly just pull over and head into the woods.Its nice to hit unworked ground and I have scored big on occassion.Permissions are given to those who ask...many older posts here on subject.
If it was a slam dunk everyone would have found everything long ago.

what he said.

kenstein

Sep 28, 2012
N.E. Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 , Pro pointer, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
If you will move the cursor to each "item" that you do not want to hear, then hit the ELIM button, those signals will go away. Do this while in CUSTOM mode and you can use that setting whenever you want by simply going to CUSTOM. I have mine set to only sound on 5 cent and higher. But realize that by doing this you may be passing up potential good stuff. It's just preference, how much trash you want to dig. Good luck, and apologies if you already knew this.

DFX DAVE in M.D.

Oct 15, 2004
Upper Chesapeake Bay, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Digging junk is a big part of the game, something the TV treasure hunting shows wont show much of. When you dig junk you are cleaning the ground, because it could have a good target in the same hole that the junk masked. Metal detectors can be fooled, such as gold rings and jewelry reading as foil or pull tabs, same with nickels being confused as pull tabs. Not all junk is bad junk, you can find relics that are not coins, but nice ornate cast iron pieces. You will see in time what I am talking about.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
a lot of great advice, the truth is if you don't dig the pull tabs, you don't find much gold... period. finding pull tabs is actually a good thing if you are looking for gold rings, chains etc because it means that even though someone might have previously detected the area, they didn't dig the tabs which means there might still be gold hiding and waiting for those who will dig them. gotta pay the dues (well most of the time). my 250 has found gold and silver but only after I had made up my mind to dig the signals. if you get too frustrated, take a break from them but just remember that almost all good jewelry etc also rings up in the trash signals as well. I figure between the pull tabs/ can slaw and iron, this is what frustrates most newbies to the point that they quit. perseverance does eventually pay off. good luck and remember, its the attitude of the mind.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello Natnlex,

Welcome to the forum!

The ACE 250 is a fun machine to learn the metal detecting sport. Sandman has an excellent point! I would like to piggy back his post by adding this point; build a test bed in your backyard. The how can be found on this forum. This will help you determine item, size, location and using the pin point feature. I believe it is imperative that you learn how to pin point within an inch or two (or better) the target and learn and practice proper extraction techniques. If the recovery process is done correctly, you hardly leave a trace. In the mean time, start with children’s playgrounds, since they usually have a thick layer of tree mulch covering the area. This will build your confidence in target location without much chance of creating a mess of the recovery spot.

Most importantly do not give up, we all have (and will continue to) dug a “ton” of trash while detecting.

Regards,

Bill Farmer

Greenie
Dec 28, 2014
outside of Chicago
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nobody has answered Natnlax's question about how to get permission to walk around with a metal detector!

Using Google, I typed in the name of my town and the words "metal detecting" and found this reference to the local Statute for the park district:
Section 2.43. Metal Detectors. (25/50)
No Person shall upon or in connection with any property of the District: bring into or use any device or instrument used to detect metallic objects without prior written permission of the Executive Director.

It sounds like Kemper's advice will get you in trouble in my town.

So really! How do you get permission to search?

Thanks in advance.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Since you're so green, you ought to practice in your own yard and get good at digging plugs so that no one would know you had been there. If you don't have a yard then go to a school metal detect in the grass and practice digging undetectable pugs there. Good probing and plugging techniques can get you referrals and lead to more permissions. Once you've practiced awhile ask friends, family, and coworkers if you could detect their properties. I have found more older coins on private property than in public lands. There some nice How to's on the internet. You should check this one out Getting Permission.

Mike70

Jan 23, 2015
Gold Coast, Queensland
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortez, Tesoro Stingray, C&G Wildcat, Pistol Probe Pro. Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
This has probably been said before, but I always have a couple of 5 gallon tins at home, Like most hunters, I also dig a lot of junk, but I put all the aluminum stuff in one bin, copper and brass and lead into others. when they are full I take them to the scrap metal yard. It is surprising how much extra cash you make out of your 'junk' over time.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread