cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To me it depends on how long I've detected, and how long I expect to detect the next time. With every detector I've owned, I determine how many hours of detecting I can do from a full charge until the low battery warning comes on. I generally don't run it completely flat before recharging, but, I don't top it off either unless I plan on a marathon hunt. I just carry a spare battery or booster in case it does go dead.

Emil W

Nov 4, 2021
Central New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Deus 2
Deus
Deus Lite
Garrett Apex
Garrett Pinpointer
BH Discovery 2200
BH Pioneer EX
White's Coinmaster 6000D (have had for decades)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Be aware that if you constantly keep charging your battery after every use, even if it still has an 80% charge left, you're lessening the life of the battery.

Batteries last longest when they're less frequently charged and when they're not fully charged. Ideally you shouldn't charge them until they're down to about 25-30%. They also last longer if you don't charge then to 100%, charging to about 85-90% is the ideal range.

Of course if you're planning on a long day you'll want to charge to 100%, even if it's only down to 80%.

I'm only pointing this out to those who use their detector for an hour or so, then charge it even though the battery is barely down. Do this often enough and you'll be replacing the battery sooner than someone who doesn't constantly top it off after every use.

OP
OP
C

C3plants

Oct 17, 2022
Be aware that if you constantly keep charging your battery after every use, even if it still has an 80% charge left, you're lessening the life of the battery.

Batteries last longest when they're less frequently charged and when they're not fully charged. Ideally you shouldn't charge them until they're down to about 25-30%. They also last longer if you don't charge then to 100%, charging to about 85-90% is the ideal range.

Of course if you're planning on a long day you'll want to charge to 100%, even if it's only down to 80%.

I'm only pointing this out to those who use their detector for an hour or so, then charge it even though the battery is barely down. Do this often enough and you'll be replacing the battery sooner than someone who doesn't constantly top it off after every use.
Thanks. This is what I was always taught regarding rechargeable batteries. I wanted to see if the same held true in this case.

DigDog201

Jun 16, 2022
The older batteries had what’s called “memory” and it was best to let them drain down. Not so with the new technology lithium batteries.
Do a search on lithium polymer batteries which are what is in the new Deus detectors
They do not have a “memory” and can be charged anytime without harm.
Top them off after each use
Been doing that even with my cell phone for years and never had battery issues. They actually seem to last longer imo

Emil W

Nov 4, 2021
Central New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Deus 2
Deus
Deus Lite
Garrett Apex
Garrett Pinpointer
BH Discovery 2200
BH Pioneer EX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
With lithium-polymer batteries the concern isn't creating a memory within the battery, which was an issue with older technology, it has to do with heat, stress and longevity.

Keeping the heat and stress down helps maintain battery life. High voltage, as in charging to 100%, heats and stresses the battery more than when charging to 85-90%. And charging when not really needed also adds unnecessary stress.

Stress lessens battery life, although admittedly most users probably wouldn't notice the difference in longevity. Best practices are to charge when down to 20-30% or less. Charging after every use, even if the battery shows close to 100% charge, is never a good idea.

DigDog201

Jun 16, 2022
With lithium-polymer batteries the concern isn't creating a memory within the battery, which was an issue with older technology, it has to do with heat, stress and longevity.

Keeping the heat and stress down helps maintain battery life. High voltage, as in charging to 100%, heats and stresses the battery more than when charging to 85-90%. And charging when not really needed also adds unnecessary stress.

Stress lessens battery life, although admittedly most users probably wouldn't notice the difference in longevity. Best practices are to charge when down to 20-30% or less. Charging after every use, even if the battery shows close to 100% charge, is never a good idea.
Just going by the manufacturer’s instructions.in the manual for the D2. I would think they would know whats best

Attachments

• IMG_3078.jpeg
    IMG_3078.jpeg
    571.7 KB · Views: 22

Emil W

Nov 4, 2021
Central New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Deus 2
Deus
Deus Lite
Garrett Apex
Garrett Pinpointer
BH Discovery 2200
BH Pioneer EX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just going by the manufacturer’s instructions.in the manual for the D2. I would think they would know whats best
I don't doubt that's what they recommend (although I admit I haven't read the charging section in the manual). Again, this has nothing to do with the battery developing a memory. XP understands that the difference in longevity due to heat and stress is negligible between their recommendations of charging whenever you want, and best practices for battery longevity. As I had said, most users probably wouldn't notice the difference.

Every charging cycle creates heat. Heat stresses the battery. Stress leads to shorter battery life. This is why it's best to not charge your detector (or phone) after use if the battery doesn't show it's down.

The same holds true for cell phones, but again, no one cares about best practices since it doesn't make a noticeable difference except under testing. For cell phones, it's recommended not to charge them overnight due to the heat-stress created by leaving them plugged in after they're fully charged. Never charge your phone--or detector--overnight. Unplug them when charged.

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
XP is in the business to sell things too, including batteries. If the battery lasts only 4 years going by their recommendations, instead of 5 using best practices, they'll sell more of them. They'll only care that it makes it past the guarantee.

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
in the Tucson AZ area now
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
x2 quest X Pointer Max - my favorite
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Do you guys generally charge everything following every dig no matter how much charge is left or do you wait until things are relatively low before giving it a full charge.? I'm just thinking about the life of the batteries and what the best practice is.
batteries of today are not like batteries of yester year they can be pretty much depleted and be recharged fairly easy or you can charge after each hunt with no issues what so ever
personally I recharge after every hunt so I know which ever detector I decide to detect with is ready to go for the next hunt, almost every detector I use has a built in rechargeable batter, I do have a few detectors that take AA rechargeable batteries so I carry a spare set with me in my detecting pouch just to be safe.

DigDog201

Jun 16, 2022
XP is in the business to sell things too, including batteries. If the battery lasts only 4 years going by their recommendations, instead of 5 using best practices, they'll sell more of them. They'll only care that it makes it past the guarantee.
I don’t know. I heard a battery change is around $50 with shipping. A battery is maybe $30 retail. Not much profit.
They have to pay someone for labor if you send it in.
How many batteries do you think they sell or battery replacements they do in a year out of warranty ? I think it barely covers the cost and they make their money selling detectors and other accessories. They would also be taking a chance on the battery not lasting through the 5 year warranty by not giving the proper care instructions. 5 years is a long time for a battery to last even with proper maintenance.
Most of all new detectors come out every 2-3 years and most just upgrade. How many people you know kept their detectors through a couple battery replacements. Ive never sent anything in for a battery replacement not even a cell phone or computer i just upgraded.
My point i don’t suspect they are interested in making money on batteries and would rather make sure they definitely last past the 5 year warranty not fall short at 4 but i could be wrong

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I suspect that most of us (me included) don't send our detectors in for a simple battery replacement. We do it ourselves. Since all the D2's are still under warranty, I don't know what the current battery replacement is whether I buy just the battery, or, have them install it. I replaced a Nox battery myself and it wasn't hard or particularly expensive. Once a tech knows how to do it, it probably only takes them a few minutes. Not a major labor expense. The wholesale cost for buying batteries in bulk can't be very much per unit either.....a few dollars at most. I'm not saying they're making a fortune selling batteries, but, it's icing on the cake along with the other accessories they sell. I doubt there is much difference in battery life in modern LiPo's and LiOn's between constantly charging a battery and only doing it as needed, but, if you're trying to get every single day's life out of it, do it the way you think is best.

Silver Saver

Mar 15, 2017
Center of North America
Detector(s) used
Etrac- Sunray x5, x8, x12. Garrett Carrot.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deus 2 manual, probably for the reason Emil is saying. Shorter charge times, less heat and stress. Also only 2 year warranty on battery, but should last much longer than that.
Screenshot_20230529-182314_Drive.jpg

DigDog201

Jun 16, 2022
Deus 2 manual, probably for the reason Emil is saying. Shorter charge times, less heat and stress. Also only 2 year warranty on battery, but should last much longer than that. View attachment 2086263
Thought the warranty was 5 years according to the manual.
Where do you see 2 years?
Ok never mind i did see where it states batteries are only 2 years
Also says they can last up to 10 years assuming you go by their instructions which state you can charge at any time.
I don’t see them lasting that long for sure

Last edited:

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
C3 Welcome to Treasurenet !1 you asked a great question and have so great replies !!1 I think your going to be a good addition to our membership here

Emil W

Nov 4, 2021
Central New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Deus 2
Deus
Deus Lite
Garrett Apex
Garrett Pinpointer
BH Discovery 2200
BH Pioneer EX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thought the warranty was 5 years according to the manual.
Where do you see 2 years?
Ok never mind i did see where it states batteries are only 2 years
Also says they can last up to 10 years assuming you go by their instructions which state you can charge at any time.
I don’t see them lasting that long for sure
As the manual says, you can charge it at any time, but not that you should. See post #14 by Divine Profit.

It's up to the owner how important battery longevity is. I have no problem believing you can get ten years out of the battery if you want to go through the effort. But if you don't want to bother with the ideal battery maintenance routine (see chart in post #14), which is admittedly cumbersome at best, then charge as you like and accept less longevity, probably 3 to 5 years.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread