NEWBIE STARTER KIT (TELL ME WHATS IN IT!) :help:

kblackphoto

Nov 17, 2009
New Zealand
Detector(s) used
nokta makro pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok- I have looked around all over the web- checked out metal detectors- etc. But I need the basics to a good hunt. I don't know much about the tools you need for digging etc- So it would be awesome if the veterans to this sport can lay it all out on the line for me. Verbatim, I suppose. Here is a few questions I have for the willing- :help:

If you were to make a "Thrifty Treasure Hunting Starter Kit" what items would this include?

Can you buy these items at a store like Home Depot or are they specialty items?

Are there certain items you can't live without?

What items should I avoid?

If there is anything else you want to add please do!!

I'm a needy newbie! ;D

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
Garrett ACE 250 and a good digger. I got the ACE online...digger from Home Depot for $10. Those are the necessities!

After that you will want a good pinpointer so you can locate your finds more easily and quickly. The Garrett propinpointer is fantastic too!

I also do not hunt without kneepads, gloves and earphones and a pouch to keep everything in.

welcome to this fantastic hobby!

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
well a basic lil detector like a ACE 250 (cost about 212 --) can be got at kellyco * see their link on the main page , then you need a digger item --the plastic trowels sent as part of the freebie pack are ok for loose beach sand and such but stink for real grass & dirt digging --for that you need a strong metal type digger with a sharp edge . ---a decent pair of gloves is a good ideal as well--( since most folks sooner or later run across sharp metal and busted glass ) --- a decent lil pin pointer will save a lot of needless excess digging as well as reducing damage to grass so its a excellent ideal as well.

ThTx

Dec 19, 2006
Combine
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus, Teknetics G2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Make sure the headphones have their own volume control. The ones that come with the ACE do not and they can blow your ears off! But, I agree the ACE is the way to go. The list by cntrydncr1 is just about as good as it gets until the addiction sets in. Then the sky's the limit.

Welcome to the world of healthy addiction!

Anthony

OP
OP
kblackphoto

kblackphoto

Nov 17, 2009
New Zealand
Detector(s) used
nokta makro pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
thanks you guys! I am glad to know that everyone basically agrees on the same thing because everyone is different. I will have my heart set on that metal detector and get the tools I need. That what I wanted to hear:) wish me luck!

YosamiteDig

Greenie
Nov 5, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't forget a can of pepper spray. If you can, a 44mag. would be the better choice.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
YosamiteDig / Michaelangelo you gentlemen do know this post is over 2 years old, and that last time this person ever posted was back in Sept 2011, right :dontknow:

I think you may just be preaching to an empty choir :laughing9:

OP
OP
kblackphoto

kblackphoto

Nov 17, 2009
New Zealand
Detector(s) used
nokta makro pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
lol hey im still here, i havent detected in quite a while but i still love doing it. i havent found anything but pennies and tin foil still. ive been to parks and old places i dont know what im doing wrong!!

Jedicazador

Jun 24, 2012
Macon County TN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont mind looking over old thread either, I could re ask the question to make it newer but y'all are still providing good responses

Reedy1

Tenderfoot
Jul 13, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just recieved my Ace 250 from Kellyco in the mail yesterday. I got it all together and set out to the back yard. Now this is my first MD but I did find a 1996 quarter, a 1946 wheaty, an old end of a pipe about 6" down,and a soda pull tab. I was at it for about and hour and had a blast. This thing is very user freindly but I do see it will take practice with the secitivity and learning the different tones. I was using it on al metal and had the secitivty at 3. Cant wait to find some cool places to search. I am going to the beach in 2 weeks and then to my camp. My camp was an old farm house built in 1889 so I am hopeing to find some cool things around it. Thanks to all for the tips I really enjoy this sight.

Reedy1

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to the Net, Reedy1. You will find good advice here. Hmmm, if you are taking the 250 to a salt beach, don't think it is broken if it goes "haywire" on the wet sand. It is a good machine but will not tolerate the salts and minerals of a saltwater beach. Dry sand ok but not the wet sand or in the water. Those areas are for the PI machines. TTC

Reedy1

Tenderfoot
Jul 13, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the advice Terryc,
I was unaware of that. I guess I will stick to the dry sand. LOL Is there anyway like turning down the sensitivity that will allow me to search the wet sand?

lawdog601

Jul 14, 2012
Obviously I'm a little late on posting. Lol! Anyway, I would suggest getting in with someone who has been metal detecting for awhile, go out with them on some hunts and learn everything you can. I've been in the hobby since I was 14, now 39. I still don't know it all and learn something new everytime I go digging with someone else. As you progress, you'll learn the ins and outs of detecting, and you'll eventually find the detector that fits you and your needs. I've gone from detecters that were a few hundred dollars to one that's over a thousand. But, it serves it's purpose and it's everything that I've wanted in one package from over the years.

Good luck and happy hunting! Hang in there and you'll find that it's the greatest hobby ever!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions