OP
OP
EricH

EricH

Jun 13, 2015
Cabarete, Dominican Republic
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Fascinating. What did you shoot your videos with? GoPro?

GP3 on front off my scooter, when I swim I just hold the scooter by the shroud.

I shoot at 1280x960 pixels (4:3) 60 frames so that I can slow the footage while editing when things move to much, 960 to give me more room for screencaptures.
E

Last edited:

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Tesoro Tiger Shark
EricH, Seeing that the design of ships anchors back then varied little from the 1500's to the early 1800's The thick encrustation prevents identifying the small changes that took place during this period. It looks as if all the anchors shown could have been from any time during this period. Personally, I would tend to lose interest if the crossbars are iron. One thing that would help, if it used chain as cable, you can date it after 1836. As to identify country of origin, all the European countries at the time used the same basic design. They also "borrowed" ground tackle as often as possible because of the likelihood of losing their own. The cannon would give up a lot more info than the anchors.

OP
OP
EricH

EricH

Jun 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
EricH, Seeing that the design of ships anchors back then varied little from the 1500's to the early 1800's The thick encrustation prevents identifying the small changes that took place during this period. It looks as if all the anchors shown could have been from any time during this period. Personally, I would tend to lose interest if the crossbars are iron. One thing that would help, if it used chain as cable, you can date it after 1836. As to identify country of origin, all the European countries at the time used the same basic design. They also "borrowed" ground tackle as often as possible because of the likelihood of losing their own. The cannon would give up a lot more info than the anchors.

Thanks a lot
Here are some cannons

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

OP
OP
EricH

EricH

Jun 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I will keep you in the loop

Capt Billy here is an update on Galeon site:
this morning I found 2 smaller anchors, which puts the count to 2 small and 2 large anchors for this site.

the first anchor is actually scuck under the cannon, you can see it stick out a little
cabareteexploration_18704339169_o.jpg cabareteexploration_18269852243_o.jpg cabareteexploration_18885238422_o.jpg

This sits a fair distance upwind (east side of the reef near the sand), from the other anchors
cabareteexploration_18890462995_o.jpg cabareteexploration_18702773020_o.jpg cabareteexploration_18704305529_o.jpg cabareteexploration_18702758838_o.jpg

Last edited:

captbilly

Nov 1, 2007
Samana
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse,Garrett
Nice, you would think they either threw out an anchor from keeping from going aground or rowed one out in the direction they came in on hoping to kedge themselves back off in the direction they came in on. That is important as it would show a compass direction from which the ship came. And a good search area would be west and down wind along that compass course. I still dont believe the square tiles are ballast, somewhere maybe a little deeper water there should be a trail of ballast stones. One thing for sure and certain that ship didn't sail away. I never found any ballast stones.
Check out these tiles, i just googled 18th century Spanish floor tiles. Look close at one next time you are there and tell me if you dont believe this is what they are? One thing good about that is Spanish floor tiles=Spanish ship. One thing bad about that is Spanish tiles wouldn't be shipped back to Spain meaning an incoming vessel. And just my sea sense would say a ship with wooden decks would not put tiles on the floor as that would start instant rot. But you never know? Maybe the Captains cabin had tiled floors? Anybody else on this thread ever hear about anything like tiled floors on a ship? This site is littered with them, and if you look closely at these tiles they resemble poured concrete, they are not cut from one piece of stone.
spanish floor tiles.png spanish flor ties2.png

OP
OP
EricH

EricH

Jun 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Nice, you would think they either threw out an anchor from keeping from going aground or rowed one out in the direction they came in on hoping to kedge themselves back off in the direction they came in on. That is important as it would show a compass direction from which the ship came. And a good search area would be west and down wind along that compass course. I still dont believe the square tiles are ballast, somewhere maybe a little deeper water there should be a trail of ballast stones. One thing for sure and certain that ship didn't sail away. I never found any ballast stones.
Check out these tiles, i just googled 18th century Spanish floor tiles. Look close at one next time you are there and tell me if you dont believe this is what they are? One thing good about that is Spanish floor tiles=Spanish ship. One thing bad about that is Spanish tiles wouldn't be shipped back to Spain meaning an incoming vessel. And just my sea sense would say a ship with wooden decks would not put tiles on the floor as that would start instant rot. But you never know? Maybe the Captains cabin had tiled floors? Anybody else on this thread ever hear about anything like tiled floors on a ship? This site is littered with them, and if you look closely at these tiles they resemble poured concrete, they are not cut from one piece of stone.
]

Bill,
it is simple to locate the anchors they all sit in the same direction, which is downwind roughly east to west with the smallest sitting the furthest in to the wind.

About the tiles, I found some on the windward side of the reef, and at the leeward base of the reef. I still tend to lean towards more modern ballast system. The different size is what makes me wonder.

I am now focusing on this wreck since the bay is realy dirty and will keep on posting what I find.

Here is a Youtube play list of the 5 Galeon anchors

Last edited:

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark....Aqua pulse 1B....Equinox ll
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Got this from Smithbrown, really useful

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1434660328.311083.jpg

Send the various measurements between parts to an expert and get great info back.....

OP
OP
EricH

EricH

Jun 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
more wreck items for the Cabarete bay celection...

an other day in the bay, 129 min-3200m traveled
A new anchor to be added to the list total of 17, this is nr 11 for the bay area.
and more wreckage items

Screen Shot 06-20-15 at 01.35 PM.JPG Screen Shot 06-20-15 at 01.15 PM 002.JPG Screen Shot 06-20-15 at 01.15 PM 001.JPG Screen Shot 06-20-15 at 01.13 PM 003.JPG Screen Shot 06-20-15 at 12.54 PM.JPG Screen Shot 06-20-15 at 01.29 PM 002.JPG Screen Shot 06-20-15 at 01.29 PM 001.JPG Screen Shot 06-20-15 at 01.28 PM.JPG Screen Shot 06-20-15 at 01.27 PM.JPG

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Is that an astrolabe lying on the bottom?

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
EricH you better go back and pick that up before somebody else gets it and it winds up on Ebay.
You can mark where you found it and turn it in to the authorities.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread