diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Victor, CO...City of Mines
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Past few hunts. The ground is sure wet out here, great for detecting. I'm not sure how old the news tag is but the lettering looks old west style. I'm guessing around 1900. Has anyone ever seen something like this. For a hat? Or a news stand? Cripple Creek has more than 200 tokens attributed to it. And I love finding them!!! This one has not been documented in the books:) I will check the local directories later. The buggy or wagon piece is extremely sturdy. Maybe for one of the ore wagons up here! Happy Hunting!!

Attachments

• 20220817_194900.jpg
    20220817_194900.jpg
    527.1 KB · Views: 113
  • 20220817_192157.jpg
    20220817_192157.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 75
  • 20220817_193145.jpg
    20220817_193145.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 61
  • 20220817_192659.jpg
    20220817_192659.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 74
Upvote 18

Chilli

Feb 10, 2022
OZ
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705
Garrett 24k
Past few hunts. The ground is sure wet out here, great for detecting. I'm not sure how old the news tag is but the lettering looks old west style. I'm guessing around 1900. Has anyone ever seen something like this. For a hat? Or a news stand? Cripple Creek has more than 200 tokens attributed to it. And I love finding them!!! This one has not been documented in the books:) I will check the local directories later. The buggy or wagon piece is extremely sturdy. Maybe for one of the ore wagons up here! Happy Hunting!!
Good finds!đź‘Ť

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Cool!!! Congrats!!!

OP
OP
diggingthe1

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Chilli, fun stuff to research!!. Thanks E-track, My son and I are heading out on a road trip to Digstock and stopping a few places on the way. Hudson Ohio is one of them! Thanks RJ!!

KSDirtfisher77

Jun 26, 2022
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites V3I
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Picktime and Dirtfisher, it is a Chines coin. You can find quite a few different ones up here.
Are you able to date the coin? It's on my bucket list to find 1 & I'm unsure how to date them by the markings. I think the chinese coins are interesting & the design of them.

OP
OP
diggingthe1

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you able to date the coin? It's on my bucket list to find 1 & I'm unsure how to date them by the markings. I think the chinese coins are interesting & the design of them.
There is a great website if you google chinese coin identification. It's a little confusing but if you stick with it you can usually find your coin. If you post on here, it in the what is it section you would find more help. Good luck, thanks for the post!

OP
OP
diggingthe1

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lenrac, if you or anyone from tnet is ever in the area look me up, we just got a little airbnb going. (Discount available) You can almost smell them out here!!! I have to trade you for a spot to dig out east:) My son and I will be driving through Illinois in October:) Thanks for the post!!
Awesome token! I need to visit! I need more tokens! Sounds like there is a lot out there!

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That’s a cool and rare token. The names at the top will be “Jones & Wisch”, who I would assume were the proprietors (although sometimes the names on tokens relate to suppliers of coin-operated equipment such as cigar vending machines or billiard tables).

Elkhorn 1.jpg

An eBay seller (Harbert Postcards) had a picture of the establishment on an old postcard… retrieved via Worthpoint:

Elkhorn 2.jpg Elkhorn 3.jpg

The hand-written caption says “Where we eat when in Cripple Creek, Colo.” A stamp on the back says “Orter’s Royal and Elkhorn Cafes.” Several signs can be read including Royal Café, Elkhorn Café, a postcards and minerals store, and the J. H. Adams Building. The postcard was not mailed but has an AZO stamp box that dates it between 1927 and 1940. The automobiles look like they are from the late 1920s and early 1930s.

That last coin is indeed a Chinese cash, but the other (unimaged) side will have the reign period that enables it to be dated.

Last edited:
OP
OP
diggingthe1

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That’s a cool and rare token. The names at the top will be “Jones & Wisch”, who I would assume were the proprietors (although sometimes the names on tokens relate to suppliers of coin-operated equipment such as cigar vending machines or billiard tables).

View attachment 2042581

An eBay seller (Harbert Postcards) had a picture of the establishment on an old postcard… retrieved via Worthpoint:

View attachment 2042582 View attachment 2042583

The hand-written caption says “Where we eat when in Cripple Creek, Colo.” A stamp on the back says “Orter’s Royal and Elkhorn Cafes.” Several signs can be read including Royal Café, Elkhorn Café, a postcards and minerals store, and the J. H. Adams Building. The postcard was not mailed but has an AZO stamp box that dates it between 1927 and 1940. The automobiles look like they are from the late 1920s and early 1930s.

That last coin is indeed a Chinese cash, but the other (unimaged) side will have the reign period that enables it to be dated.
Red-Coat, thank you for the incredible research!!!! I'm pretty excited to have the picture to go along with it!! I'm curious what you think of the news agent piece. For a newsstand or hat??? If you get a chance.

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Red-Coat, thank you for the incredible research!!!! I'm pretty excited to have the picture to go along with it!! I'm curious what you think of the news agent piece. For a newsstand or hat??? If you get a chance.

You're most welcome. Here's an expanded view of the original postcard (the words in red added by the seller):

Elkhorn 4.jpg

Can't help on the News Agent tag I'm afraid. It looks to be slightly curved and the two slots suggest it might have been threaded on a ribbon, so your guess of "hat-band" might well be correct.

OP
OP
diggingthe1

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're most welcome. Here's an expanded view of the original postcard (the words in red added by the seller):

Can't help on the News Agent tag I'm afraid. It looks to be slightly curved and the two slots suggest it might have been threaded on a ribbon, so your guess of "hat-band" might well be correct.
Cool, I pass by there all the time. I'll have to take a picture to compare!!!!

OP
OP
diggingthe1

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

View attachment 2042602

Attachments

• 20220821_110648.jpg
    20220821_110648.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 16

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread